Westone ES5 on the way, UE CAPITOL reference monitors too?
Nov 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jermng

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've got a pair of Westone ES5s coming in about a week. These would mainly be for my music listening.

As a Live Sound and studio audio engineer, I'm falling into the marketing trap of UE and Im thinking of getting the UEs for my mixing work.

However, I've heard that the ES5s were essentially flat too. Question is, are they really flat across the spectrum to be suitable for mixing audio in? Or just generally flatter than other IEMs?

Would I be getting 2 of e same (or very similar) IEMs if I got the ES5s and UE RMs?

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 10
U muz be one wealthy guy! I told myself my first customs would be my last.

LOL...

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 10
If you want a reference monitor I'd look into the JH 10...

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 10

Why don't YOU get both, and tell us the difference. 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Hey all,

I've got a pair of Westone ES5s coming in about a week. These would mainly be for my music listening.

As a Live Sound and studio audio engineer, I'm falling into the marketing trap of UE and Im thinking of getting the UEs for my mixing work.

However, I've heard that the ES5s were essentially flat too. Question is, are they really flat across the spectrum to be suitable for mixing audio in? Or just generally flatter than other IEMs?

Would I be getting 2 of e same (or very similar) IEMs if I got the ES5s and UE RMs?

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 10

Why don't YOU get both, and tell us the difference. 
evil_smiley.gif

If it were something like the JH16 or UE18 I probably would since they're known to sound different from e ES5. In this case, it seems the ES5 and UE RM both go hand in hand with the word "Neutral" that's why I'm not so sure ....

An option would be to wait for my es5 to arrive before making a call. But from where I am, it takes a month to get customs with all e shipping to & fro ... And I'm impatient ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Just thought of getting some info from experienced head-fiers who might have experience w both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 10
Since you already ordered them, try the ES5's first, and then if they are bugging you, get the EU's. You'll know within a week if aren't going to work. Even if they are slightly colored, you should be able to create good mixes with them, as long as you know what their strength/weaknesses are. Wost case scenario you can limp through work using them until the EU's come, that is, if you decide the ES5's aren't working.

I'm a post production mixer, and just ordered the ES5's myself. Hopefully they will work for at home and work listening for me too.
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 10
Did anybody in here ever try the UE Capitol new IEM?  I'm trying to decide if I should go for these as an upgrade/alternative to my UE11 Pros -- especially since I'm a bit lazy about going to the audiologist for another fitting.  UE18Pro is also a possibility.  Anybody got any thoughts for me on that?

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Did anybody in here ever try the UE Capitol new IEM?  I'm trying to decide if I should go for these as an upgrade/alternative to my UE11 Pros -- especially since I'm a bit lazy about going to the audiologist for another fitting.  UE18Pro is also a possibility.  Anybody got any thoughts for me on that?

hm, thoughts on laziness - no, can't be bothered...  oh you mean, thoughts on UERM versus UE11pro? ah, that's different :wink:

joking apart, they're obviously very different things. about the only commonality they have IMHO is the fit. the 11Pro is probably best for funk, rock, bass-heavy electronica, and it sounds fun, engaging, and has plenty of soundstaging (I am listening to mine now, and it's getting kind of late, so occasionally I turn around to check I'm not waking anyone up with my music - then remind myself it's actually only playing in my head). the 18Pro in a sense pushes even further in that direction, as far as I know it (and I've only heard it a little tiny bit). but for most classical music, for many vocal tracks, for jazz I would recommend the UERM. and if, like many of us here, you care a lot about the quality of the signal itself and the signal chain, you'll get amazingly great sound from the RM. of course, from the 11Pro too, if you match it with what you expect to hear, and it's not that I am unhappy with it at all - I like having the option to go with one or the other; each does things better than the other, and there will be situations where you have both in front of you and have to pick one. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back