Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 6, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #91 of 257
Quote:
It did but I am at work and it is at home :'( I will post some impressions later today
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks appreciate it, just asked as I am on UK time so it's midnight here so I wasn't sure :wink:

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #92 of 257
My order came in from Earphone solutions in 2 days. Very impressed with the shipping A+ for the dealer.

Packaging is very similar to the recent revision of UM3X boxing, well made and not superfluous.

It came with a round screw on case, which is nice considering I'm going to be taking these to Europe for a few months.

The body was very impressively machined, if you are familiar with the Apple Unibody the feel of these is quite similar. 

Came with the Star tips and true fit. No tri flanges though, which was slightly odd considering my past westones came with them, but no major gripes. 

I haven't really listened to them that much though. Substantial amplification seems unneeded, although when plugged into a Headstage Arrow 4g I could get a much better soundstage. For terms of overall clarity, they mimic the qualities of the Westone series (W1, W2, etc) somewhat bright but still analytical. Hopefully I will get some more impressions after owning them for a few days, and this is my first review here. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #93 of 257
Quote:
At a mere $200 how good should you expect them to sound?  Price usually matches performance at this range.  These should sound somewhere between a UM or W1 and a UM or W2.  No?

Guess you haven't heard an IEM like the H-200. I'm surprised at you Spyro. Many earphones out there today are punching way above its price point. The H-200, for example, sounds like a $350 earphone instead $250 one (well, I paid $200 for the three-driver hybrid).

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #94 of 257
I'm curious to hear these, but my ears are having a love fest with the AS-2, H-200 and CKS1000 right now (add the BA200 to the ruckus).

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #95 of 257
OK some quick initial impressions. First things first I love their build quality. Second I am getting no cable footfall noise but the cloth cable like all cloth cables suffers from rubbing. The good news is my UE900 and Shure cables both fit so people will some choices if they want a different cable.

Being my first Westone I like their truefit foam tips alot and the star tips as well.

I am hearing these differently than the poster from yesterday in that I am really enjoying the sound of these. The bass is nice and full with nice texture but not to over the top for me. The mids are nice and clean and a bit forward so my biggest fear is unfounded. The treble is a bit subdued but nit to severely and I will hope they come forward with use. I REALLY LIKE the imaging of these and,the sound stage. While my UE900 has more detail these may be a funner listen and I like them more than my Fidelio S2 already.

I think these are going to be an excellent crossover IEM for Westone, garnering a new branch of users while being enjoyed by some of their current fans. But I can see some people who are used to BA IEM's who will find these to strong in the bass and lacking some details.

I will be giving these some considerable head time as I am enjoying what I hear so far.

For those worried about the round cable connector. Westone has made their connector very tight and better sealed than UE and Shure so I think they will not have the same QC issues the other manufacturers have been suffering with.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #96 of 257
Just got mine tonight.  Listening now.  My first impression is that these are the most comfortable earphones I have ever used, with the best build quality I have ever seen.  The sound seems really nice across the range, but I am loathe to make any snap judgments after 1-1/2 hours.  One note:  I am now using the default star tips.  Earlier, I switched for a few minutes to the triple flange tips that were on my W4s (which are actually double flange tips, since I cut off the top flange) and, with the tri flanges, the bass was overpowering and a little strange.  The bass seems just fine with the default tips.  So, I would ask Nhare90 what tips he's using and if he's tried any others.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #97 of 257
After some thought about last night's early negative review, I couldn't help but wonder about the likelihood of westone releasing a poor performing IEM.  Just seems incongruous.  I don't own them and am curious to see the early reviews continue to trickle in, but even if they're not world-beaters, I'd be surprised if the consensus that emerged was that they were deeply flawed like the first reviewer suggested. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #98 of 257
Just got mine tonight.  Listening now.  My first impression is that these are the most comfortable earphones I have ever used, with the best build quality I have ever seen.  The sound seems really nice across the range, but I am loathe to make any snap judgments after 1-1/2 hours.  One note:  I am now using the default star tips.  Earlier, I switched for a few minutes to the triple flange tips that were on my W4s (which are actually double flange tips, since I cut off the top flange) and, with the tri flanges, the bass was overpowering and a little strange.  The bass seems just fine with the default tips.  So, I would ask Nhare90 what tips he's using and if he's tried any others.

I was wondering about which tip he was using as well. It will be interesting to see what he uses. I also am finding these very comfortable.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #100 of 257
I was wondering about which tip he was using as well. It will be interesting to see what he uses. I also am finding these very comfortable.

I'm using the red star tips. Guys I'm blown away by my review, I will listen to these exclusively for the next few days and see if anything changes. I'm hoping these are just in need of burn in.

The comfort is second to none, the lightweight is amazing. The cable is a wonderful idea as I used reflective clothing on a daily basis so that's most def a plus. I just have terrible cable noise because I listen too low. I try to preserve my hearing as I'm constantly in a whirlwind of sounds at work. (Literally, sirens drive ya nuts)

I truly feel these headphones are wonderful, I just need to get a grip with what is causing my hearing of overwhelming bass! I'm hoping its whats between the earphones that's messed up than the earphones themselves :p

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #101 of 257
The isolation seems fine, though not quite as good with the star tips as with the triple flange, obviously.  I really can't confirm for sure until I ride them on the subway tomorrow :wink: 

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #103 of 257
Quote:
I'm using the red star tips. Guys I'm blown away by my review, I will listen to these exclusively for the next few days and see if anything changes. I'm hoping these are just in need of burn in.

The comfort is second to none, the lightweight is amazing. The cable is a wonderful idea as I used reflective clothing on a daily basis so that's most def a plus. I just have terrible cable noise because I listen too low. I try to preserve my hearing as I'm constantly in a whirlwind of sounds at work. (Literally, sirens drive ya nuts)

I truly feel these headphones are wonderful, I just need to get a grip with what is causing my hearing of overwhelming bass! I'm hoping its whats between the earphones that's messed up than the earphones themselves
tongue.gif

Thank you for sharing what you're hearing and observing - that's what this forum is for.  These earphones do have a lot of bass, and it seems like many of your other earphones are balanced armatures, so I can imagine these might be different than what you're used to.  It took me a bit by surprise too.  The bass doesn't really seem to come at the expense of the mids and highs - but, again, I'm not making any quick judgments.  I have loved too many 'phones - for a day or two.  By the way, I find that if I use the provided clip, the microphonics on these (and all earphones) are greatly reduced.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #104 of 257
Ordered these on a whim and received them yesterday.

Here are some quick impressions.

The build seems to be excellent.  They are light and very comfortable, with the one of the best buillt-in ear guides I have used.  It is rubbery and flexible, not too stiff like some earphones with memory wire.  Very easy to forget that it is there at all.  The ADV comes with a nice set of accessories (including a shirt-clip, which I don't believe was mentioned anywhere in Westone's description).  I also really like the case. Although not great for portability, it is very protective.  The cable is cloth covered and has a very good volume/pause controller. The buttons are distinctive enough that I feel confident in saying you will never hit the wrong one. Overall, a very nice package.

As far as the sound, the ADV is warm, but still has decent clarity.  Mid-range is not recessed.  I actually quite like the treble/mid-range balance. However, the bass is proving to be more than I bargained for. It can and will overpower the lower mid-range frequently.  LOTS of impact.

Here's the thing though:  When outside, the bass doesn't seem to be as overwhelming as sitting at my desk.  And the cable that was bothering me with some rubbing noise when sitting at my desk?  It didn't really bother me at all.

I believe the marketing: this is an earphone that is meant to be worn outside.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #105 of 257
I was just going to mention isolation as well. I think they are not quite as isolating as my UE900 but are definitely better with the foam tips than the star tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back