Westone 4R - good time to buy?
Sep 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SX-X

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm new here (well... being reading other people's thread for months). I have been using my Klipsch X10i for years and looking for a pair of new IEM. I was planning to buy the Westone 4R, but recently found out that they are introducing a upgrade series - w 40. Not sure whether to buy the 4R while it has a good deal ($300) or wait for the new model. I love my X10i but recently the wire broke for the second time.

I listen to all kind of music, from rock to musical. Mainly use iPod classic as source, no amp or dac, but i'm thinking of buying Sony PHA-1 (or pha-2 depends on the review) or may be HP-P1.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 5
Not long ago the 4r was introduced. It was the same drivers/configuration like the 4 with detachable cable. Westone doesn't develop balanced armature drivers so I don't really think changes will be that important outside look. I could be wrong but I took the chance and bought a w4r recently.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 5
The W4R is still a good buy at $300, and the PHA-1 works well with it.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 5
  Hi guys, I'm new here (well... being reading other people's thread for months). I have been using my Klipsch X10i for years and looking for a pair of new IEM. I was planning to buy the Westone 4R, but recently found out that they are introducing a upgrade series - w 40. Not sure whether to buy the 4R while it has a good deal ($300) or wait for the new model. I love my X10i but recently the wire broke for the second time.

I listen to all kind of music, from rock to musical. Mainly use iPod classic as source, no amp or dac, but i'm thinking of buying Sony PHA-1 (or pha-2 depends on the review) or may be HP-P1.

The new one should be releasing in one week, just wait and see then. My gut feeling is that it's the same as the W4 but with MMCX connector rather than the 2 pin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back