Westone 4R for 299USD ...
Oct 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #49 of 135
0_0 glad I made my order this morning LOL

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #52 of 135
I actually sold my Westone 4R's 3-4 months ago to try out new headphones. I owned everything from the HIFIMAN HE-500's to the Ultrasone Edition 8's to the Momentums to the Sennheiser HD800's and etc. (check my lengthy list on my profile if ur curious) during that period. What I'm trying to say is that the Westone 4R's are a true gem with unique and detailed mids and a awesome balanced sound you cannot get from any other headphone/IEM. The fullness and control you get from the sound is very impeccable and IMO is worth $500 and a steal at $300. If you decide to sell them and get another headphone after another and another... you'll soon begin to realize all headphones have a unique sound signature and major strengths that you cannot start ranking (accept for regards to technicalities such as imaging). I do agree with you though that the bass is really anemic. But I just love the full/balanced mids and tight and controlled bass the 4R's have, it is awesome for rock/metal music!!

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #53 of 135
And for music for where I REALLY want to feel DA BASS I just listen to a subwoofer to feel the powuh!!! Headphone's can never reproduce powerful music with authority like full sized speakers! :D
And speakers cannot be as portable or intimate as headphones... :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #54 of 135
Could some kind soul please post photos of the star tips?

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #56 of 135
Thanks to folks on this forum, I saw this deal and jumped on it yesterday. I've never owned IEM's really, so I'm looking forward to giving them a try. I assume there will be some mental break-in time, while I get used to having them in my ears, plus whatever break-in they might need themselves.

I'll be using them for travel primarily, either straight through my iPod or amped with my Dragonfly, coming from a Macbook Pro with JRiver Media Center for software.

Thanks to everyone who has posted thoughts on these... much appreciated.

- Joe

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #57 of 135
Expecting more what, more bass? Or more sound quality overall?
I was just expecting to be blown away I guess so I may have set the bar too high That being said I still haven't spent much time for serious listening. I know late last night I was warming up to them listening to some pink Floyd 320 kps mp3's. I expected more bass but the plastic tips helped out a lot. I'm gonna try download some Flac files so I will post more of my thoughts soon.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #58 of 135
Well, it's definitely worth testing all the tips and giving it some time. Some of my favorite all time IEMS sounded pretty bad to me at first. Then again, maybe you just like more bassy earphones. The W4R are not quite neutral, but not bass monsters either. They also aren't typically known as a 'wow' pair. They do everything well but they don't really make you go "omg this is so amazing."

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #59 of 135
iems are a bit of a different game in the audio trek. Give them some time, I thought the exact same thing about my Shute e500 when I bought em for $300 a few years ago. Now I can't do without iems, I really like what they have to offer
Yeah i plan on downloading some hi res music and try different tips to see if I can improve bass response even more... the bass is still nice but I'm a bass head so I may never have enoug lol. I love the midrange it's awesome. Very analytical is how I would best describe the sound so far. Clean sound which is good.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #60 of 135
Well, it's definitely worth testing all the tips and giving it some time. Some of my favorite all time IEMS sounded pretty bad to me at first. Then again, maybe you just like more bassy earphones. The W4R are not quite neutral, but not bass monsters either. They also aren't typically known as a 'wow' pair. They do everything well but they don't really make you go "omg this is so amazing."
Yeah i guess I just need to do more listening with different types of music. Ok now I'm going to try and download some Flac files and listen. I'll post my thoughts soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back