Westone 4/SM3/SE535 and choice help?
Jan 28, 2012 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

issuzark

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! First post here. Been a small time audiophile for about half a year now, with this being my first high-end universal purchase. I think my taste change quite quickly, or I just don't know what I'm looking for because my preference changed alot, like from basshead to natural now. Anyway, I listen to just about anything, but mainly rock, electronic, and the occasional reggae and pop. 

I tried all 3 Westone 4, SM3V2, SE535 and I just couldn't decide they were all good. In different ways. Since I'm pairing with my phone (Samsung Nexus S), they had very different sounds.

To me,

Westone 4 - Sounded amazing with guitars, sparkly highs, but it sounded very bland with dubstep, when I tried Skrillex with it.

Shure SE535 - Very balanced, good forward mids, relatively sparkled highs compared to SM3, deep bass with some good amount. Near perfect isolation.

Earsonic SM3 - Near to no sparkle, Very good emphasis on the drums. Balanced. Good soundstage. Somehow appears to have a slight V presentation to me too.

Any opinions guys? Just wanna look at opinions. What I just posted is based on memory, after I tested them 3 weeks ago.

Oh! I'm also considering JH-5 pro and ACS T3. Anyone can compare these 2 customs with the 3 universals? I liked the T15 by ACS and JH-13pro, so I wonder if the signature is the same. Also, I'm buying from Jaben, and the prices of the 2 customs from the 3 universals are different by about 30 USD, and it includes the ear impression and shipping cost. Thanks so much guys! :)

p/s: What a long first post. /facepalm

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 29
Wouldn't of thought a phone would have been the best way of testing the iem's.  Did you try it with a decent mp3 player?

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 29
That samsung nexus s has an output impedance of 13. And all the IEMs you chose are really sensitive multi balanced IEMs that definitely got affected by that high output impedance. You'll have to listen again with another player with a much lower output impedance, especially if you are considering the customs.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 29
Dears,

I have owned the SE535 and SM3v2 . If you love the SE535 mids ( mostly for young girls vocal ) , it was the best.
Else , SM3v2 was very good IEM , suitable for most type of music . It was clean , deep in BASS , warm , good in Vocal . My feeling was a fully upgrade of UM3X.

However , SM3v2 was not easy to drive directly. I suggest to drive it by a powerful AMP which can make the SM3v2 have a greater soundstage. That was the perfect present of the SM3v2.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
Hello, I have SE535 and W4 and have briefly listened to SM3.

W4 is most balanced and has most neutral sounding out of those 3.

From what everyone says about SM3, can not draw conclusions from a few hours or days of use ..... the first contact dont have the wow factor, but after the brain get used to their signature, owners found SM3 a amazing iem.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 29

Quote:
From what everyone says about SM3, can not draw conclusions from a few hours or days of use ..... the first contact dont have the wow factor, but after the brain get used to their signature, owners found SM3 a amazing iem.

That argument can be said for any IEMs. From what I've read... it's either you like it or don't like it.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 29
Player was a key item for the SM3v2 .

When I use J3 with SM3v2 , a boaring sound hear and SE535 was much much better.

When I use T51mod with a powerful AMP to drive the SM3v2 , everyone who listen to the SM3v2 , "wow"

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 29
I haven't listened to all three, but I can say that the SM3 is a very good performer. It's by favorite BA IEM if that says anything.

You could also get something less expensive that provides great SQ, like the GR07 or EX600. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 29
I've owned the SE535s and heard the SM3s a few separate times...but to my ears, the Westone 4s are the most natural sounding IEMs. Simply fantastic IEMs IMHO.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 29
Hmmmm... Westone 4 sounds very bland with electronic music though, unless there's a way to save it?
Also, anyone thinks the SM3's have a bit of recessed mids and no sparkle? 

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 29
Which one? The Westone or the SM3?

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 29
It's for my travel use because I travel alot. By the way, care to explain what does the output impedance means? Sorry I kinda forgot what I learnt in physics. Also, the Nexus S may be colored, but I think it makes a good pairing with the 3 of them somehow, though changing the signature in  a way. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back