Westone 3 vs Westone 4
Dec 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 25
  What I like about the Westone W4R is that it's warm and also detailed. It's really hard to find such thing even in full sized headphones.

Yea, I was just posting something about that on another thread.  W3 is crisper and brighter sounding but W4 actually has better detail and clarity.  That's almost a contradiction but a very neat way of tuning the drivers.  Zero fatigue.  Vocals are just amazing with W4.  By far favorite in any universal IEM.

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #19 of 25
The W4 is a much more audiophile sounding IEM. The W4 is both warm and very detailed at the same time. I found the W4 to be too laidback sounding for my tastes, though it is a pretty good all rounder. You might want to check out the UM3X which has more bass and midrange energy, but doesn't do the sound stage and technicalities of the W4, but I'm sure it will be a step up from the W3 which has more of V shaped signature.

If you are looking for bass, then look no further than the Yamaha EPH-100.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #20 of 25
UPDATE: I actually got the MDR-7550 which is, looking at it's price $229 compared to $370 W4, is amazing.

Believe it or not, I had both IEMs at the same time and tried them with different songs. The Sony won in every single one. I am still in shock with these headphones !

I fell in love with it instantly.

I will never ever change the MDR-7550 !!!! NEVER !

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 25
Why anyone would want MORE midrange presence than W4 is beyond me.  But I suppose that is why we have Shure IEM's.

I think W3 is a much funner IEM than UM3X

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #22 of 25
  UPDATE: I actually got the MDR-7550 which is, looking at it's price $229 compared to $370 W4, is amazing.

Believe it or not, I had both IEMs at the same time and tried them with different songs. The Sony won in every single one. I am still in shock with these headphones !

I fell in love with it instantly.

I will never ever change the MDR-7550 !!!! NEVER !

I would tend to agree..... unless you like to lie down or go to sleep wearing your IEMs.  The Sonys are a no-go for that.  Also, isolation is not quite as good. SQ, excellent

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 25
Quick question, I have a pair of IE80's and want something with some good bass but more pronounced mids as these are a bit too recessed. I've tried the W40's and they had superb mids for rock  although my initial impressions for electronic was a bit meh with them. Are the W3's any better for rock/pop/electronic whilst keeping a good midrange or are they as recessed as the IE80s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back