Westone 3 vs um3x.. A slightly unique dilemma from most
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #16 of 28
im not really a believer in burn in too but with the um3x, and exactly at 100Hour point, you will notice something and its night and day. 

Quote:
Hey guys, Got the um3x today. All i gotta say is that I'm absolutely loving them so far. As far as I know, balanced armature products dont need burn in time but I will keep listening to them for a while and report any changes. So far so good. They make me smile when i listen to music in these. Awesome monitors. I hear every part of the song. Superb instrument separation. I find the bass is excellent for rock as well as dubstep.

I'll update this thread further. Let me know if any one else has any questions regarding W3 vs um3x and I'll share my experience.

Thanks again for the info by everyone above.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
Hey guys, Got the um3x today. All i gotta say is that I'm absolutely loving them so far. As far as I know, balanced armature products dont need burn in time but I will keep listening to them for a while and report any changes. So far so good. They make me smile when i listen to music in these. Awesome monitors. I hear every part of the song. Superb instrument separation. I find the bass is excellent for rock as well as dubstep.

I'll update this thread further. Let me know if any one else has any questions regarding W3 vs um3x and I'll share my experience.

Thanks again for the info by everyone above.

I read these type of comments often when people go to the UM3X from the W3's Never got to hear the UM3X. I really loved the 3's, but now I'm on to Dynamic Drivers and Moving Armatures. I had the W3's twice for about a year or so, never had a problem with them, but I must say, I'm very impressed with Westone Products and Customer service. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 28
I do listen to a fair amount of electronic centric music but that is more or less as background noise when I'm studying or doing homework. When I'm actually sitting down to relax/travel, I tend to move towards rock or vocal centric music. The W3 are great for electronic but are by no means "electronic centric". They handle music across the board very well. You can checkout my own and other reviews ( maybe you already have) here: http://www.earphonesolutions.com/we3newtrdrea.html

The um3x is a very different kind of sound. I found that the sound from the um3x is more similar to the W3 when I boost the treble a bit by increasing the 2k , 4k, 8k and 16k levels up a bit in the EQ. The um3x is superbly accurate and presents great instrument separation. I must say that I might be listening to female vocals a bit more because the um3x makes the music sound soft and warm which means that , female vocals, which I always found a little too sharp will be softer to my ears. This may have been because most earphones that I have used add a sparkle to the music to make the music a little more fun and this kinda makes female vocals a bit too edgy for me but the um3x is really warm. It's like sitting on the couch across from the fireplace as oppose to laying a little too close to the fire, where both are great but 1 is a little more gentle than the other. Hope I'm making some sense here.

So basically, the W3 has a bit of a sparkle to it as its built to compensate to lower quality audio files and hardware but if you have good quality on both of those things, then it kinda over compensates. With the um3x you get what you play. The W3 is a little edgier which I found a little intense sometimes like on certain guitar solos.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #20 of 28
Very nice! Thank you.

Quote:
I do listen to a fair amount of electronic centric music but that is more or less as background noise when I'm studying or doing homework. When I'm actually sitting down to relax/travel, I tend to move towards rock or vocal centric music. The W3 are great for electronic but are by no means "electronic centric". They handle music across the board very well. You can checkout my own and other reviews ( maybe you already have) here: http://www.earphonesolutions.com/we3newtrdrea.html

The um3x is a very different kind of sound. I found that the sound from the um3x is more similar to the W3 when I boost the treble a bit by increasing the 2k , 4k, 8k and 16k levels up a bit in the EQ. The um3x is superbly accurate and presents great instrument separation. I must say that I might be listening to female vocals a bit more because the um3x makes the music sound soft and warm which means that , female vocals, which I always found a little too sharp will be softer to my ears. This may have been because most earphones that I have used add a sparkle to the music to make the music a little more fun and this kinda makes female vocals a bit too edgy for me but the um3x is really warm. It's like sitting on the couch across from the fireplace as oppose to laying a little too close to the fire, where both are great but 1 is a little more gentle than the other. Hope I'm making some sense here.

So basically, the W3 has a bit of a sparkle to it as its built to compensate to lower quality audio files and hardware but if you have good quality on both of those things, then it kinda over compensates. With the um3x you get what you play. The W3 is a little edgier which I found a little intense sometimes like on certain guitar solos.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #23 of 28
I'll be getting my own place next year. Living in my fraternity right now. So probably some home gear which I will be totally new to so not quite sure where a good entrance point would be.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #24 of 28

Quote:

Very Nice Explanations, and Visuals

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #26 of 28
W3 sounds great with T51! W4 can'to do that on any portable/nonpottable source (for example). Interesting about UM3x, but when listening W3+T51 i can't think about anything, just me and music.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:
Hey peeps,

I'll just jump straight into it.

I was a owner of the W3s for a a while. After several product failures and return cycles, I have been offered the choice between receiving a replacement pair of W3s or a Pair of UM3Xs (no cost to me).

Requirements for the monitors

I had no trouble with the W3s but I have read the UM3x is a lot better for listening to a long time which I will really love cause I like to listen to music during long HW sessions and my travel time from college to home is aroud 30 hours across the world so .. yea haha.

All that being said. Sorry if this a a thread that is started a lot but I looked around quite a bit and I need an answer relatively fast so I can tell them what pair of monitors I want them to send me.

Thanks in Advance :)

[size=14.44444465637207px] [/size]
Sorry for reviving this old dead thread but,  I'm just about to buy a pair of W3 at a great price and reading your post saying that you've had several product failures got me worried and wondering what kind of problems you had with the W3?  But then later in the same post you say that you had no trouble with the W3, would you mind explaining?  Did you deal directly with Westone for the replacements and if so how was the customer service?

Thanks

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
[size=14.44444465637207px] [/size]
Sorry for reviving this old dead thread but,  I'm just about to buy a pair of W3 at a great price and reading your post saying that you've had several product failures got me worried and wondering what kind of problems you had with the W3?  But then later in the same post you say that you had no trouble with the W3, would you mind explaining?  Did you deal directly with Westone for the replacements and if so how was the customer service?

Thanks

The problems I had with the Westone 3 were mostly at the connection between the earpiece and the cable. I used the W3 very actively. Meaning I used them often from walking to class to walking my dog. Perhaps the build quality isn't good enough for that sort of all day, everyday usage. I'm saying that because a friend of mine ( musician) hardly ever takes his W3 out of his room/studio and they've been serving him well for about 3 years now. I've had the the um3x for a while now and its been through the same daily usage and it seems fine to me. The build quality overall seems a lot sturdier. I loved the W3, don't get me wrong, but they just were a little too fragile I guess. Regarding the Westone customer service, I can only say they are probably the best, most responsive company I have ever dealt with. They will help you out how ever they can should something go wrong and yes I did dealt directly with Westone. If you don't plan on using the W3 like I did, then by all means go ahead and get them. They are an amazing pair of monitors. Then again, you might be a hell of a lot more careful than I was. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back