Westone 3 vs um3x.. A slightly unique dilemma from most
Nov 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

AvnGR

New Head-Fier
Hey peeps,

I'll just jump straight into it.

I was a owner of the W3s for a a while. After several product failures and return cycles, I have been offered the choice between receiving a replacement pair of W3s or a Pair of UM3Xs (no cost to me).

Let me explicitly mention that I am no musician. I don't play or record music ( even thought I'd like to have the time to haha ). I am just a college student that appreciates good music. That being said, here's spectrum of use either of these headphones will encounter;

Sources

1) Ipod - 30 GB classic ( Bit rate of music - min : 320 kbps  , Max : 1700 kbps)
2)Laptop - Alienware M14x ( Waves Maxx audio), ( Bit rate of music - min : 320 kbps  , Max : 1700 kbps)

Those are my 2 sources of music played through itunes on my pc. I also use pandora.com for my music quite a bit.

Genres of music

Maybe I have ADD or I'm not the only one but my taste in music vary a lot. Here they are;

Rock/Alternative - Examples : Disturbed, Trapt, AC/DC, Alter Bridge, Angels and Airwaves, Billy Talent, Breaking Benjamin, Incubus, John Mayer, Nickleback, Linkin Park

Dubstep/Club/Dance - Examples : Skrillex, Avicii, Swedish House Mafia, Nero, Bassnectar, Feed Me, Pantyraid, Kraddy, Emalkay, Daft Punk, Pretty Lights, Rusko

Electronic/Electronic Chill/ Instrumental - Examples : Ratatat, Jon Hopkins, Ronald Jenkees, Phoenix, Beats Antique

Hip-Hop/Rap - Eminem, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Flo Rida, LiL Wayne

Requirements for the monitors

I had no trouble with the W3s but I have read the UM3x is a lot better for listening to a long time which I will really love cause I like to listen to music during long HW sessions and my travel time from college to home is aroud 30 hours across the world so .. yea haha.

All that being said. Sorry if this a a thread that is started a lot but I looked around quite a bit and I need an answer relatively fast so I can tell them what pair of monitors I want them to send me.

Thanks in Advance :)

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 28
There is no right answer without hearing them yourself.  I find both very easy on the ears so I don't think
listening fatigue is even an issue.  W3 is crisper sounding and a larger soundstage where you are more distant from the music.  UM3X are more mid-centric but some people find them a bit dull sounding but it does have the best instrument separation of any universal IEM ever made.

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 28
For listening to music I can't imagine anyone picking the UM3x over the W3.  I found the UM3x a little boring to be honest.

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 28
Hi AvnGR,

I had the UM3X and they were very pleasant to listen to. They were nice and relaxed, and extremely comfortable with the Shure Olive tips. The sound signature I would say is rather balanced, with forward vocals/midrange. I did not find them dull sounding, but rather they focused on the music a bit differently.

My advice is this: If you want to take a chance, go for the UM3X. There is no loss. If they aren't as good as the W3 in your opinion, I'm sure you'll be able to find a trade for the W3 on the "for sale/trade forum." If you don't want to risk it, then just get the W3.

What I would do is get the UM3X. Part of the joy in this hobby is the journey! I've been able to listen to many different headphones because of taking risks (albeit well-researched risks). 

Whatever your decision is, I hope it ends up well.

Cheers,
Dan

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 28
My vote goes to the W3. I personally prefer the bigger soundstage and they give me more of a "wow" factor.

However I do agree that part of the joy in this hobby is the journey. This is a great opportunity to try the UM3X and you may very well like it more than the W3. Good luck. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 28
What we got a Beats spammer now?!?!

Quote:
you can also choose the good headphones to enjoy the pure music
[size=x-small]For the ultimate high definition sound experience, try the [/size]beats solo graphite[size=x-small]. Listen to the perfect highs and mids delivered by the proprietary titanium coated driver technology of these [/size][size=x-small]Dr.Dre Headphones[/size][size=x-small]. The aim of these Monster on-ear headphones is to deliver an enhanced musical experience by reproducing the same gamut of sounds as heard by musicians in professional recording studios. This [/size][size=x-small]Beats Solo HD[/size][size=x-small] has a ControlTalk, an on-cable feature that enables users to have full control while using their iPod and iPhone for music playback and also lets them converse hands-free. Whether you are in gym or enjoying a casual stroll, these beats by monster[/size][size=x-small] help cut out the outside noise for a wonderful musical journey. These lightweight Monster on-ear headphones are very portable because of their compact tri-fold design and smart carrying case.[/size]

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 28
+1 on UM3X. I actually like it better than my W4s, with the caveat being that female vocal is my favorite genre by far. 

Also, I will say the UM3X feels better built - might have to do something with the made in the USA vs made in China thing.

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 28
I agree.  While I've been enjoying the W3's fun factor more than the um3x's for listening...the fit and build of the um3x seams better to me.

Quote:

Also, I will say the UM3X feels better built - might have to do something with the made in the USA vs made in China thing.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 28
Can't really go wrong with either choice :D

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 28
Hey guys, Got the um3x today. All i gotta say is that I'm absolutely loving them so far. As far as I know, balanced armature products dont need burn in time but I will keep listening to them for a while and report any changes. So far so good. They make me smile when i listen to music in these. Awesome monitors. I hear every part of the song. Superb instrument separation. I find the bass is excellent for rock as well as dubstep.

I'll update this thread further. Let me know if any one else has any questions regarding W3 vs um3x and I'll share my experience.

Thanks again for the info by everyone above.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 28
I noticed the electronic music you like. I hear the W3 is really great with electronic. How's it compare? I also listen to everything, and don't want to get stuck with an electronic centric IEM. I wonder if the UM3X would fit the bill better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back