WESTONE 3 vs SHURE530 COMPARISON
Dec 6, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #16 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a photoshop job guys...
biggrin.gif

yeah right.. -.-

as you can see from pic shures are fatter but smaller,rounded.
w3 are bigger, longer but not as fat as shure

Quote:

Originally Posted by ath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP, I have both Westone 3 and Shure e530. I use it unamped from my Rockboxed Ipod 5.5 G. To my ears, the westones are certainly a step above the shures. Are you sure you get a good seal?

yes im sure and its not an issue about seal, its about sound quality. And can you tell me why w3 are a step above the shures?

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #17 of 110
So send them back.

Hate to sound critical, but a $10 (or euro) earbud? This reviewer obviously had preconceived (read: "hostile") notions going in, and there is little doubt that the OP never intended to give the W3s a fair shake. Considering there are many others who have compared the W3 directly to the 530 and came to an opposite conclusion speaks volumes. I never owned the 530, but read plenty of negative comments about it too. This review is really what they call a "one off" in m mind.

Asking what source, amp, etc. here is a waste of time. The OP obviously had a closed mind as soon as he opened the Westone box. Just reading his loving comments about the 530 says it all.

In the end, no one is going to take this comparison seriously. Even if he didn't like the W3s, to disparage them in such a flip manner is really what he set out to do. He "thinks" the drivers and/or filter are made from cheap materials? Wha?

I almost think this was a put-on, to quell some of the positive comments on the W3.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #18 of 110
prcustom,

The overall spectrum is much cleaner with the W3's. It is not bass heavy but you can feel the presence.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #19 of 110
You are wasting your time. The OP had no intention of ever giving the W3s an objective review. It's pretty obvious. His love for the 530 would not let him. With only 8 posts, my guess he's just breaking stones, as they say.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #20 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So send them back.

Hate to sound critical, but a $10 (or euro) earbud? This reviewer obviously had preconceived (read: "hostile") notions going in, and there is little doubt that the OP never intended to give the W3s a fair shake. Considering there are many others who have compared the W3 directly to the 530 and came to an opposite conclusion speaks volumes. I never owned the 530, but read plenty of negative comments about it too. This review is really what they call a "one off" in m mind.

Asking what source, amp, etc. here is a waste of time. The OP obviously had a closed mind as soon as he opened the Westone box. Just reading his loving comments about the 530 says it all.

In the end, no one is going to take this comparison seriously. Even if he didn't like the W3s, to disparage them in such a flip manner is really what he set out to do. He "thinks" the drivers and/or filter are made from cheap materials? Wha?

I almost think this was a put-on, to quell some of the positive comments on the W3.

im very surprised about so many positive feedbacks about w3.
As 10eur(lets say 50 or 100eur if it matters) earbud i was talking about the sound quality, its not crisp and clean..
its hard to explain....image a vocal sound..
eg "promises"...image the "s" coming from a walkie talkie or radio..with some kind of "distortion" or frequency..not that hardcore but similar

and also everything else sounds artifical

you get my point?

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #21 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by prscustom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im very surprised about so many positive feedbacks about w3.
As 10eur(lets say 50 or 100eur if it matters) earbud i was talking about the sound quality, its not crisp and clean..
its hard to explain....image a vocal sound..
eg "promises"...image the "s" coming from a walkie talkie or radio..with some kind of "distortion" or frequency..not that hardcore but similar

and also everything else sounds artifical

you get my point?

i think you mean sibilance..i have that problem too..same with a few other w3 owners..

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #22 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are wasting your time. The OP had no intention of ever giving the W3s an objective review. It's pretty obvious. His love for the 530 would not let him. With only 8 posts, my guess he's just breaking stones, as they say.

read my review conclusion..theres no reason why i should not be objective...
i paid nice amount money (400eur) like everybody and expected to be better than shure, and im having hard time liking them only because of the sq issue.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #23 of 110
No doubt you will be sending them back. I just don't see how you came to that narrow of a conclusion, not a single positive thing to say against the beloved Shures. You certainly are entitled, of course, to say whatever you want, but no one, even those who didn't favor the W3s, trashed them as, well, trash.

Paying for them, as all of us know, means little as a reason to say you are being objective when you have a money back guarantee. People do it all the time, in fact, here on Head-Fi. I just don't believe your conclusion could be so negative, so hostile, unless you are using them improperly. Not liking their sound, sure. Grainy, not worth more than 10 euros. C'mon. Get real.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 110
From a objective point of view, I have to agree that the stem of the W3 is kinda short. I have to use the Long Complys to get a good fit.

And I know why people says different tips causes the W3 to sound different. The prized asset of the W3 is the lush mids and detailed bass that goes deep. These are details that are easily lost when you dont have a good seal.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #25 of 110
this makes me want to wait for a little while before buying. as a SE530 owner (and a loving one) I had the same trouble as you did with the UE triples (which I had first) couldnt wear them for more than half an hour before the sibilance and piercing highs became too much. then the cable broke after less than 2 weeks!!!~ yes on the UE not the shures. my shures cable is still perfect after 6 months of use; every day for long periods. It does seem a little flippant though your review and doesn't sound like you gave them much of a chance; but it also sound like you are very sensitive to sibilance and since that has been reported by many owners I tend to think that is the culprit here and perhaps turned you off the rest of the sound. sibilance is a pet hate of mine as well; it makes listening quite unpleasant and since I listen at reasonably high volume it makes me want to cease listening almost as soon as I begin. sometimes this can be music choice, amping issues, tip choice (although the long comply are hardly known for their highs) silver cables can also be an issue but doesn't sound like you were using any interconnects at all. so hmmm I dont think i'll be selling the shures to get the W3; i'll probably get them, but will keep the shures and wait a week or so till I have enough money to keep both.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 110
always wait to buy. a new product will always dethrone older ones no matter actual quality. it could be that the w3 are the best ever or it could be that given a few months, they could just be average performers.

if you buy now, you are buying hype and expectations. wait a bit.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this makes me want to wait for a little while before buying. as a SE530 owner (and a loving one) I had the same trouble as you did with the UE triples (which I had first) couldnt wear them for more than half an hour before the sibilance and piercing highs became too much. then the cable broke after less than 2 weeks!!!~ yes on the UE not the shures. my shures cable is still perfect after 6 months of use; every day for long periods. It does seem a little flippant though your review and doesn't sound like you gave them much of a chance; but it also sound like you are very sensitive to sibilance and since that has been reported by many owners I tend to think that is the culprit here and perhaps turned you off the rest of the sound. sibilance is a pet hate of mine as well; it makes listening quite unpleasant and since I listen at reasonably high volume it makes me want to cease listening almost as soon as I begin. sometimes this can be music choice, amping issues, tip choice (although the long comply are hardly known for their highs) silver cables can also be an issue but doesn't sound like you were using any interconnects at all. so hmmm I dont think i'll be selling the shures to get the W3; i'll probably get them, but will keep the shures and wait a week or so till I have enough money to keep both.

i tried to be as objective as i can..and i use no interconnects
i tried every tip, atm i hear with largest shure black olives and they fit almost perfect

by direct comparison its very obvious that not only sibilance but everything sounds dull and wrong...lack of quality

e.g. when listening to rock music, vocals have sibilance and cymbals sound thin,cheap and unreal..(its not a seal issue, my tf10 also doesnt sit flush but sound much better)..i mean lows mids highs very detailed and good but they just sound wrong
then i switch to shures, everything back to natural,lush and quality sound..little agressive middle range..enjoyable music
then i switch again to tf10, everything sound little more brigther,airy and colored..midrange normal highs are forward..really fun for short periods but then gets fatiguing...plus it looks really stupid in ear
dt880smile.png

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #28 of 110
Likewise, to many people the airy, hazy treble of the TFPro sounds totally un-natural. This presentation virtually eliminates any siblance but I think it doesn't sound right. A little wetter sound seems more natural to me.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #29 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Likewise, to many people the airy, hazy treble of the TFPro sounds totally un-natural. This presentation virtually eliminates any siblance but I think it doesn't sound right. A little wetter sound seems more natural to me.

yes i also think tf10 are unnatural..but shure's are natural and still no sibilance

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 110
Guess we'll all have to decide what works best for us individually. Obviously, to the OP, the Westone 3s are a waste of money. So send them back and enjoy the Shures. As for new phones always taking a back seat to older ones, I just don't see that as always the case. Sometimes, I am tempted to rebuy the Atrios, but that's about it. Don't miss the Ety ER4P/S, for example. In this case, not even sure why the OP bought the W3s, since he really seems to love his Shure SE530s. What better could he want, expect?

I will agree on one point. I paid $260 for the W3s, and that was why I bought them. That's about my ceiling, for any IEMs that are non-custom. Is any universal IEM worth $400? To me, no. To others, of course. But to say the W3s are devoid of any value above a cheap earbud is ridiculous. I heard them, many others have heard them, and none of us is under some magical spell. To me, the sound fantastic, and I expect they will do so for the long term.

I guess there have been some Head-Fi'ers who absolutely dislike the SE530s as well, so turnabout is fair play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back