Westone 3 universal IEM....
May 9, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #76 of 169
Relying on others' descriptions is folly because no two people hear it the same way. I was hoping for something like a graph, but I guess I hoped for too much.

You know, it seems I always get these kinds of dodgy, roundabout answers when asking industry people about their IEMs.

May 9, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #77 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Relying on others' descriptions is folly because no two people hear it the same way. I was hoping for something like a graph, but I guess I hoped for too much.

Well I don't know about others but I listen with my ears not by what graphs say.

May 9, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #78 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I don't know about others but I listen with my ears not by what graphs say.

yea, I want someone to make a headphone that looks amazing on paper and sounds like crap. I know it can be done!

May 9, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #79 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree but I understand what he is saying. EQing for a perceived possibility can color the outcome and some just want something as neutral as possible leaving any proccessing to be done somewhere other than the monitors being used. So subjective, this thing we call objective.

May 9, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #80 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nick, why restrain yourself? btw, that's quite a set of curls you're sporting in your latest avatar.
tongue.gif

for those wanting further listening impressions see this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217299
in particular search for posts by iamoneagain. one of these days i'm gonna do a 'cliff notes' version of that thread.....

I preordered a couple hours after I posted that
rolleyes.gif

May 9, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #81 of 169
I have two questions. How do they sound unamped for those of us who travel light? To echo another poster, how do they stack up against the e500/se530's and triple.fi's? My hope is that the answer to the first question is fine and my guess is that the answer to the last one is no contest.

May 9, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #82 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and my guess is that the answer to the last one is no contest.

undoubtedly that will be true for many. the interpretation of that response is likely to vary from individual to individual though. few things have near universal consensus on head-fi (except perhaps that most bose aren't very good and neither are stock ipod buds).

May 10, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #83 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To echo another poster, how do they stack up against the e500/se530's and triple.fi's? My hope is that the answer to the first question is fine and my guess is that the answer to the last one is no contest.

I plan on doing a head-to-head IEM comparison at the Minnesota Mini Meet on 5/26 between the E500, 3, and Triple-fi 10.

I will compare each amped, and unamped.

May 10, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #84 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know, it seems I always get these kinds of dodgy, roundabout answers when asking industry people about their IEMs.

Why do you bother asking?

To my ears, the westone3 sounded excellent, though there was less mid and upper mid than my er4s. Knowing how you feel about those, I doubt the westone3 will be your cup of tea, piccolo.

Edit: On a sidenote, your previous mention is the first I've heard of mapleshade. Excellent stuff, and one of the only examples of truly uncompressed recording I've ever seen. Thanks.

May 10, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #85 of 169
Iam looking forward for more reviews of Westone 3 and after i will order mine.

May 10, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #86 of 169
I enjoy some of the Mapleshade recordings but I wish at times they could pick up different talent as that has been the let down for me.

May 10, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #87 of 169
Portable conundrum: Westone 3 or Senn HD25-1. By the time you properly recable the latter at headphile, price is pretty close. I see arguments either way on portability (insofar as hanging cans on one's neck is easier sometimes than extracting and wrapping up IEMs). Soundwise, which would win?

May 10, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #88 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portable conundrum: Westone 3 or Senn RD25-1. By the time you properly recable the latter at headphile, price is pretty close. I see arguments either way on portability (insofar as hanging cans on one's neck is easier sometimes than extracting and wrapping up IEMs). Soundwise, which would win?

Paul, is this how you have built up your post count? amazing!

May 10, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #89 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paul, is this how you have built up your post count? amazing!

Ouch or touche depending on how you look at it.

I'm at Rogers Centre and Dice-K and the Red Sox are carving us a new rectum. It aint fun so cut me some slack, man.

Anyway, I still want an answer.

May 10, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #90 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on doing a head-to-head IEM comparison at the Minnesota Mini Meet on 5/26 between the E500, 3, and Triple-fi 10.

I will compare each amped, and unamped.

Looking forward to your impressions Nick
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back