Westone 3 quality issues?
May 13, 2009 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

AndrewF

100+ Head-Fier
Not interested in sound quality issues, sibilance issues, fit issues etc.

I just want to know if any owners of Westone 3's have any issues with the quality of the build- buzzing drivers, cable problems, blown drivers, that sort of thing.

May 13, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not interested in sound quality issues, sibilance issues, fit issues etc.

I just want to know if any owners of Westone 3's have any issues with the quality of the build- buzzing drivers, cable problems, blown drivers, that sort of thing.

The Westone 3's are pretty durable. No reported failures as of yet so far.

May 13, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 19
All I've ever heard is the cable untwisting permanently over time, but mine are personally fine so far, and I've had them for almost half a year now.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fabianwseko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont really like westone's cable..it feels flimsy and not durable.,.,
infact the cable itself is not glued..its just spiralled together.,.

I agree with you at first! I have UEs and used to think that Westone cables look really really weak. But honestly,.. after I applied the ES mod on my 5Pro I realized that the cable from Westone is superior in comfort, and durability. I got a new UE cable for my 5PRo last year,.. after some minimum use (<100 hours) its broken. No sound on one ear. So,.. I dunno.. try the UE cables for a while,... and then decide if it's really that bad. Maybe you already did,.. but honestly I have had more problems with the UE cable than Westone
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 19
I personally think the Westone cable is the best out there. They may look flimsy but are very durable and can take a lot of abuse.

May 13, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 19
I was one of the ones that had the cable untwisting problem, it seemed there was a bunch of people that all had the problem around the same time early on but I haven't heard anything about it lately. I suspect it was an isolated problem within an early batch and either hasn't been an issue since or the issue has been addressed but I don't really know for sure. Either way Westone was fast and efficient in dealing with the issues I had.

May 13, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was one of the ones that had the cable untwisting problem, it seemed there was a bunch of people that all had the problem around the same time early on but I haven't heard anything about it lately. I suspect it was an isolated problem within an early batch and either hasn't been an issue since or the issue has been addressed but I don't really know for sure. Either way Westone was fast and efficient in dealing with the issues I had.

Exact same case here, I was one of those who had the same problem (untwisting cable) back in January, having purchased my W3's in late November (first batch). Also, I haven't read/ heard of these issues in the last few months -- And yes, Westone were fantastic at dealing with my cable issues, which was one of the main reasons why I decided to get my (custom) ES3X from them.

May 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #12 of 19
no problems with the cable, I did have an issue with a fault developing in the mini connector after owning them since the first weeks of release. but I have to say that the westone CS is possibly the finest of any producer of IEMs that i've come into contact with. Doug was quick to respond to my problem personally and it cost me nothing to have it remedied. I also had an issue with my UM56, westone farm out the prodution of these and mine was made locally. they stuffed it up and when I brought this up in passing (as they had been reeally slow in taking care of it) Doug again stepped in, even though it wasnt really his problem and again all costs were taken care of lightning quick. I could not be happier with the CS and I look forward to my UM3X arriving as a prelude to getting my first full customs (ES3X) shortly afterwards. i've balked at getting full customs for ages, but my experience with westone reassures me greatly.

May 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 19
I've had the cable untwisting issue occur with my W3, also. However, though I purchased mine 2nd hand from another Head-fier in early March, and though I don't know/can't recall when they were originally purchased, I'd have to imagine my inherited set are from early batches of the W3, also (likely November-December 08). So if the suspected trend above is accurate, I doubt my specimen bucks it!

The unravelling/untwisting I've experienced tends to happen at the ends of the cable, where it finishes at the monitors and/or cable jack (I've had it untwist at both sites several times). This would logically and physically make sense as it's where the cables end/start and so where their twisting starts. It's also where more of the weight is- earpieces and cable jack, respectively- that could aid/catalyse any motion and/or force needed to cause/start the unravelling, and, of course, the regions of the cable that are naturally going to be twisted and rearranged and shifted about etc, as you use the headphones/in everyday use and appliance of the IEMs and cable (when untangling the headphones and/or geometrically setting them up to be inserted in your ears, for e.g.). Still, though explanable, it's a little unsettling, at first, to think that a product that has cost you so much and is reputed for being high-end and top calibre can start to come apart like that, and, after only normal useage of the item and no abuse and/or purposeful appliance of force or motion that could cause the unravelling to occur. I've also had the W3 cable untwist a few times (in a few different places) further along/into it's length and away from it's respective ends. However, all these untwistments- be it at the cable ends or otherwise- have always been minor and localised (nothing drastic or anywhere near comprehensive or comprehensive threatening) and so easy to retwist back in place.

So that's all I do now/is what I've resigned myself to, just being relaxed about it (via the experience and understanding that the untwisting doesn't damage sound quality or an other aspect of the phone's condition or performance) and when an untwisting occurs/starts- which is relatively infrequently-, twist it back. As it is, this is no biggie. If the cable didn't twist back/stick back in place (for a decent length of time) and remained untwisted, then I'd definately have a problem with it! However, as this isn't the case and shipment back to the US for repair/replcement not being desirable, I'm happy to put up with this little bit of infrequent maintenance. Of course, if the untwisting does occur permanently, I will have no qualms in claiming a repair/replacement under warranty.

N.B.// The cable is certainly durable physically and functionally, if not in maintaining it's design/physical state implementation, being, as already cited, light, flexible and totally unmicrophonic. Also, my W3 cable got trapped under the leg of a chair I was sitting on when I was using them with an extension cable at my family desktop, probably, as it went unnoticed, for about an hour, and survived! So I can vouch for it's durability in that regard!

May 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 19
i was wondering, is there like an extended warranty for these earphones offered anywhere on the web? just received the um3x and i would cry if they break and aren't covered by warranty.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 19
I had a problem two weeks ago occur. The right channel became attenuated. I thought it was due to ear wax, the equipment, etc. So I cleaned out my ears real well, the westone 3 earphones, listened to some audio-technica cans I have that are very accurate and came up with the problem; THE WESTONE 3 had an attenuation on the right channel for whatever reason. I let them know and they sent me new ones. Guess what? Problem was solved at that point. I don't know if it was the cable or a driver but I thought for a while I was losing my hearing in my right ear! I just hope this doesn't happen in over a year from now or I'm faced with a $320 for two year earphones. In my opinion if that happens I will never buy them again ever. I send them an email after they replaced them two days ago asking if they cover the cable coming detached from the earphone, but they didn't respond to that question. I know they sell a pro line that has detachable cables like Sennhieser for $40 bucks.

Xielvas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back