Westone 3 - my first experience = MUST HAVE !!
Oct 4, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #16 of 105
The specs I quoted were "I am Lazy Specs" from the 1st of 76 pages from the westone thread. They seemed very efficient to me, I certainly couldn't take the iBasso past 11 o'clock on the volume knob with them - I wasn't really paying attention to the volume position with the E500 vs Westone 3.

The earphones I listened to were dated 9/26/07. I got the impression that they are just working out the production line issues to get them mass produced without any bugs or problems. And, don't worry, I didn't make any suggestions that would delay them so they could tweak them more, I would need at least a week with them as I requested
wink.gif

Also, he was very Adamant that the these ARE NOT A UM3, they are calling it the Westone 3.

On another note, they reproduce drums very well on a drum solo I tried out. And, the ambience of a live venue wasn't lost when listening through the setup I had with me. We didn't have time to try the ipod or tomahawk - it was all about the earphones, so I used the best source and amp I had with me.

Lastly, I also like that my UM56 custom tips will work with the Westone 3 or all Shure except the E2c, etc... It will seal both IN the canal and AT the opening to the canal, it just doesn't enclose the whole earphone like the Sensaphonics tips. Here's to hoping I like the custom tips...

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #17 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but the UE11 will eat them! just as it did with the E500

I'm not sure how you can say that, unless you have both to test against each other.

I never go past saying "This sounds better than what I have tried, but there can always be something out there that is better".

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #18 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check delivery date... the devil is in the details, i also almost fell for that one, pay now, we deliver when westone delivers, i saw that some specs changed from the last prototype and im starting to think that westone has a snowball on their hands, that each time its almost ready to go in to mass production, someone makes a "constructive" comment, or a new product reaches the market that causes them to modify the UM3 again and therefore delaying its release, westone should stop taking all this constructive advice and stop looking at others people product and just release the IEM´s they want to release,

anyways, futuresonics relighted the armature vs dynamic discussion again, and im starting to think this westone VS Ultimate ears vs Shure fight about who can stuff more armatures in to a single IEM is starting to look like the gillete VS schick/wilkinson fight, UE allready has a 4 driver custom, how long untill it trickles down to universal ?

Shure SE640 ? Quad.fi 25 ? UM4 ?

You've made some good points. I've been looking for the one driver, crossoverless speaker solution for years. Jordan Watts came close in the 70's, now Fostex is after that market.

I really liked the UM1 for its unassuming, band limited neutrality. But I really liked the UM2 more for sounding more real.

I also like those three blade razors. And now those four blade razors!

I just hear what I hear from Westone. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. They're a Colorado based hearing aid company that made the Shure monitor series until Shure went to China. Now they're doing what we want! They're trying to make the best IEM ever. I'm sure of it. Maybe they want to make sure it's right before they release it. I CAN wait.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #19 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict: Would you say they're the most "full-sounding" IEMs you've heard to date? Like full-size headphones...

I can't say that - I haven't listened to them enough. I really would need more time with them. To me, a good test of how good they are is to try listening to piano music, drums solos, string and other acoustic instruments and wind instruments, and music recorded in a wide variety of venues.

All I got to try was one Al Di Meola song with a lot of impact, Bejing Demons (electric guitar, drums) and one Drum Solo off the Tord Gustavsen Trio, Being There album. I was only at Westone to ask questions about the custom ear tips, and if I liked the answers to speed up my custom ear tips order by delivering the impressions myself. I wasn't there to hang out and play with Westone 3 all day
frown.gif

Like I said, they are in the same direction as my Livewires, i.e. are more full than the E500. If my sound memory serves me right, the Westone 3 have the bass of the E500 with the fuller mids and highs of the Livewires, with the wide soundstage of both.

But, I didn't have my Livewires with me to compare like I did the E500. Also, until I can compare more phones I will reserve final judgment. I am not sure they "feel" like full sized phones without more time, but I can say the 48 hours I had with the Livewires was close.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #21 of 105
Very interesting... i cant wait for UE10 and UE11 comparisons. It looks like universal IEMs are progressing quite well with respect to custom IEMs.

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #22 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but the UE11 will eat them! just as it did with the E500

seems to me the ue11 has not eaten anythin and actually is bordering on failure, how many reviews and threads and people dying to listen to them do you see on here, its not for me to say but seems to me the ue11 has been and gone because its a price nobody can afford for no massive differences to what we can have for half price and less. also from what i hear the ue11 are similar to the e500 with warm sound and good mids, now it might just be me but i think a custom 4 driver set of earphones should be absolutely different and much much better, lets face it...it hasnt done that.

i think the westone 3 are going to be special...one they are affordable, two they are affordable and 3...its shaping up to blow the IEM world away

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #23 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say that - I haven't listened to them enough. I really would need more time with them. To me, a good test of how good they are is to try listening to piano music, drums solos, string and other acoustic instruments and wind instruments, and music recorded in a wide variety of venues.

All I got to try was one Al Di Meola song with a lot of impact, Bejing Demons (electric guitar, drums) and one Drum Solo off the Tord Gustavsen Trio, Being There album. I was only at Westone to ask questions about the custom ear tips, and if I liked the answers to speed up my custom ear tips order by delivering the impressions myself. I wasn't there to hang out and play with Westone 3 all day
frown.gif

Like I said, they are in the same direction as my Livewires, i.e. are more full than the E500. If my sound memory serves me right, the Westone 3 have the bass of the E500 with the fuller mids and highs of the Livewires, with the wide soundstage of both.

But, I didn't have my Livewires with me to compare like I did the E500. Also, until I can compare more phones I will reserve final judgment. I am not sure they "feel" like full sized phones without more time, but I can say the 48 hours I had with the Livewires was close.

wow you are over rating the livewires a bit here, i think they are a bit boring and bland with a very flat sound, the e500 bass and mids certainly jump out at me more.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #24 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems to me the ue11 has not eaten anythin and actually is bordering on failure, how many reviews and threads and people dying to listen to them do you see on here, its not for me to say but seems to me the ue11 has been and gone because its a price nobody can afford for no massive differences to what we can have for half price and less. also from what i hear the ue11 are similar to the e500 with warm sound and good mids, now it might just be me but i think a custom 4 driver set of earphones should be absolutely different and much much better, lets face it...it hasnt done that.

i think the westone 3 are going to be special...one they are affordable, two they are affordable and 3...its shaping up to blow the IEM world away

Well I have both and let me tell you that the UE11 are a massive improvement over the E500. Don't get me wrong, I really like the E500 (I used to think they were the best you would get from IEms until I got the UE11).

UE11 have like 10 times the soundstage of the E500, 10 times better highs, more defind bass, and equal midrange.

The price is a different matter: they would not be as popular as the E500 since they cost more than double but for those who can afford them they are worth it.

Also don't jump on conclusions when you haven't heard the UE11. If I'm not wrong there is a 25 page thread full of rave reviews. Just take a look at it.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #25 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hear what I hear from Westone. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. They're a Colorado based hearing aid company that made the Shure monitor series until Shure went to China.

Umm, not exactly. I will not re-hash the details here again (you can do a search if you want), but whoever gave you that impression has mislead you.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #26 of 105
oh dear,you go sugafried... and to that fella that said the bass is 10 times better than the e500 with the ue11, get real and have another listen. they both have dual drivers to power bass along so the differences are not in driver quality but how thay have configured the crossover.

you may just find they have actually just boosted it a bit in the ue11 and it is in fact just more powerful...which explains why ultimate ears themself even say the ue10 are aimed towards the pro's.

but anyway dont get me wrong the ue11 should well be better and im sure they are, but dont over exagerrate, we all know the differences are not massive the more you pay, thats one of the downfalls of earphones and speakers in general

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #27 of 105
Quote:

Your sig quotes from the iLounge are some of the most ridiculous things I've read here. There seems to be a flood of poor information coming from people with recent join dates, weather it be FOTM praise or bashing I've come to trust opinions of the vets far more than the 07 crowd. It's too bad too because the praise or negativity could be valuable if it was coupled with detailed reasoning.

I'm still learning myself but I've had some extensive conversations with people that have been around the headfi block and right now the UE-11 sounds like a killer. One of the members here even owns the Westone ES2, ES3, Sensa's, UE-10 and UE-11's and he says that the UE-11's are his favorite and if he could find a full sized can that sounds as good he'd own it! That says a lot IMO.

Now as for the Westone 3, yes it is something very special. I've listened to it more than a few times and liked it better than my ES2's so I'm sure the 3 Custom will be an awesome headphone. As far as the Shure comparo, I like the E4C's better than the E500 or whatever they are called now. E500 = rolled off highs and distant vocals IMO.

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your sig quotes from the iLounge are some of the most ridiculous things I've read here. There seems to be a flood of poor information coming from people with recent join dates, weather it be FOTM praise or bashing I've come to trust opinions of the vets far more than the 07 crowd. It's too bad too because the praise or negativity could be valuable if it was coupled with detailed reasoning.

I'm still learning myself but I've had some extensive conversations with people that have been around the headfi block and right now the UE-11 sounds like a killer. One of the members here even owns the Westone ES2, ES3, Sensa's, UE-10 and UE-11's and he says that the UE-11's are his favorite and if he could find a full sized can that sounds as good he'd own it! That says a lot IMO.

Now as for the Westone 3, yes it is something very special. I've listened to it more than a few times and liked it better than my ES2's so I'm sure the 3 Custom will be an awesome headphone. As far as the Shure comparo, I like the E4C's better than the E500 or whatever they are called now. E500 = rolled off highs and distant vocals IMO.

well like you said thats your opinion, and to be honest ill take professionals opinions over just another head fi'ers anyday.

it does not matter how recent people have joined and what information we give, the information is not from me but off a professional reviewer who has had oportunity to test them well before any of us, so instead of moaning about opinions that conflict yours say something useful.

it does not matter how many posts you have made or when you joined, your posts dont count for how experienced you are and id second guess that ilounge has got a bit more experience than you with IEM's

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #29 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as the Shure comparo, I like the E4C's better than the E500 or whatever they are called now. E500 = rolled off highs and distant vocals IMO.

also this statement about the mids is about the most untrue statement going among other people around here, the shures are known for having very forward mids, distant you will find is the total oposite. so brush up on your info and get others opinions before you state your opinion is the one that counts.

and for those that think im being harsh, i never ever said the ue11 were crap, but i did say the ue11 are not 10 times better than anything, that is exaggeration and i do believe the ue11 are better than the e500 for the record

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #30 of 105
Quote:

oh dear,you go sugafried... and to that fella that said the bass is 10 times better than the e500 with the ue11, get real and have another listen. they both have dual drivers to power bass along so the differences are not in driver quality but how thay have configured the crossover.

you may just find they have actually just boosted it a bit in the ue11 and it is in fact just more powerful...which explains why ultimate ears themself even say the ue10 are aimed towards the pro's.

but anyway dont get me wrong the ue11 should well be better and im sure they are, but dont over exagerrate, we all know the differences are not massive the more you pay, thats one of the downfalls of earphones and speakers in general

I never said 10 times better bass. I said 10 times better highs (which is true) and 10 times more soundstage (which is true) and more defined bass (which I think is true).

Believe me the difference is very obvious when you switch one to another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back