Westone 3 "Gold" Edition + UM56
Dec 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
Yes, very strange they are blowing out ($240) an "upgraded model" that supposedly has extra labor in it to balance out the drivers.  Makes no sense.  What's the hurry to get rid of them?

Exactly what I'm thinking about these.

Really strange. A limited edition comes out from nowhere (that too gold) available only on Earphone Solutions & a 20% off.

I still dont understand why Westone has no product info about these Gold on their site. (although during 4R release it was available on both sites except for ES 25% off the 4R)

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #17 of 32
Was it just a special/sale cause I just looked and they are $349. You still have the 20% but I don't read into that they are in a hurry to get rid of them. Christmas is over and back to the regular price as per usual. Unless I missed something :)

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:
Was it just a special/sale cause I just looked and they are $349. You still have the 20% but I don't read into that they are in a hurry to get rid of them. Christmas is over and back to the regular price as per usual. Unless I missed something :)

I believe the deal was spotted on the Earphone Solutions facebook page.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #19 of 32
I think I get it now. Supposed to be one hour only but the code still worked. Maybe they are trying to move them since that is done on purpose leaving a code working until enough of the product is moved.

EDIT: I double checked the code and it only gives the 20% current promotion discount so it doesn't look like $240 is possible anymore.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:
I think I get it now. Supposed to be one hour only but the code still worked. Maybe they are trying to move them since that is done on purpose leaving a code working until enough of the product is moved.

EDIT: I double checked the code and it only gives the 20% current promotion discount so it doesn't look like $240 is possible anymore.

I used a generic 20% off code ("FEAR" , probably from Halloween or something). I noticed EarphoneSolutions was having a problem with their product listings; they had two separate pages for the golds. One was $350, the other was $300. Of course, I chose the cheaper one and applied the discount to that but I'm remaining a little bit skeptic on why there were two golds listed at different prices.

A day after I ordered them, I checked back on the site and it seems that they've fixed the pricing - both pages display $350 now but there are still two separate pages if you search for Westone 3 Gold.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #21 of 32
Yeah it was special more than them trying to blow them out. Two listed since the Facebook link took you to the $300 and the regular search link gave you $350. So now the Facebook link now gives $350 as well.   

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:
Yeah it was special more than them trying to blow them out. Two listed since the Facebook link took you to the $300 and the regular search link gave you $350. So now the Facebook link now gives $350 as well.   

I wasn't aware of the Facebook special - I guess I got lucky with the timing then.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #23 of 32
I received my W3 Golds yesterday and opened them today.  I am burning them in now as I am reading the Head-Fi forum.  They sound good out of the box but I am looking forward to when the drivers loosen up and they can really start to sing.   

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #24 of 32
You might have these confused with dynamic drivers. Armatures really don't loosen up much at all. Expect a little change from the cable burning in(till about 25 hours) if you have discerning enough ears to hear it but most if any change will be from tip selection and learning to get the best fit/ proper seal.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #25 of 32
Is there anything special about the Westone 3 Gold besides the gold imprint?
popcorn.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #28 of 32
I received mine today and so far I'm not too impressed. They don't seem like much of an improvement from my SE215s; in fact, they sound similar to them with that boomy bass and lack of detail - just an awful muffling sound. I'm probably going to put them up for sale...

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:
I received mine today and so far I'm not too impressed. They don't seem like much of an improvement from my SE215s; in fact, they sound similar to them with that boomy bass and lack of detail - just an awful muffling sound. I'm probably going to put them up for sale...

Seriously? The W3's should be much much better than the SE215's. I've only owned the 210's so I can't say for sure, but I have heard the SE535's and found the W3's more to my liking than them, despite the SE535's being much better than the 210's. Lack of detail compared to the 215's? You must have a poor fit or defective pair. The 215's are pretty much entry level, the W3's should technically be a lot better, even if you don't prefer the sound.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:
Seriously? The W3's should be much much better than the SE215's. I've only owned the 210's so I can't say for sure, but I have heard the SE535's and found the W3's more to my liking than them, despite the SE535's being much better than the 210's. Lack of detail compared to the 215's? You must have a poor fit or defective pair. The 215's are pretty much entry level, the W3's should technically be a lot better, even if you don't prefer the sound.

I found that after trying most the tips that came with the W3 Gold that the Comply Foam Shorts (the stock ones) sounded the best for my ears and taste.  If I based my opinion on the triple flange tips then I would dislike the W3 Golds since the fit is poor for my ears and the frequency response suffers as a result.  It takes some time and effort to get the right tip and placement, but I think they sound very good once you have them dialed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back