Westone 3 and Portable AMPs
Feb 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

chengilang

New Head-Fier
Having searched the forums, I thought this thread can help me and others regarding their new Westone 3s.

To the experienced users on the forums what would you suggest as the best portable amp to pair with Westone 3?

Which portable amp is the best at eliminating the hiss in the Westone 3s?

Thanks

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 26
I am not sure. I am relatively new to IEMs. I plugged my new W3 into my macbook pro and when i have no music playing i would hear a hiss. i would still hear it when the music is on low.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 26
it is probably from your mac. did you tried on another source? I do not heard any hiss when using my iphone. since you are using mac as a source, you may want to take a look at Pico, Predator, and iBasso amps with DAC.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 26
the source is the problem not Westone 3. it is clear to me because i had the same issue.

i am using right now iaudio x5l +w3 +um56 combo and there is allmost no hiss but it is hearable. I've tested W3 with amp/dac - audiotrak dr.dac 2 connected to my pc via usb [ i wanted to use dac not some ****ty sb x-fi frm my pc]. There is NO hiss.not even slightly. Dr.Dac 2 is really great amp and i can honestly say that W3 aren't the problem here - your mac is. Change Your source mate and the problem will dissapear.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 26
i see, when i put it into an ipod it is fine. Thanks alot guys.

Back on topic which amp would you suggest for Westone 3 IEM? Or does it depend on the mp3 player you are using?

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 26
sorry for being a new listener, i have no clue what is a dac.

I really don't have a budget. I would say something that works the best with Westone 3. It would be cool if it was portable too, like a Fiio E5.

Could you guys also suggest a mp3 player with great sound quality? From what I am reading, COWON players sounds the best.

Thanks alot.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 26
dude an amp sometimes will increase the hiss you talking about.
Your W3s are high sensitivity and low impedances IEMs so I dont think you really need an amp although a good amp does make W3s sound better. But you are talking about the "hiss". Also, if you just connect your amp with portable players, you absolute not need a DAC.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 26
Well for me, I use my iPhone 3G. The SQ is very good using the headphone out already, I use it this way when I'm on subway or bus. I used it with Hornet before and waiting for my new amp to arrive. If budget is no issue, take a look at Predator or Pico. Both of them are with DAC. For amp only, Pico without amp and Mustang. The minibox E+ got a great review too.

From I read, the W3 with Mustang have great synergy.

DAC - digital to analog, usually plug into usb port of computer and bypass the audio card of computer.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengilang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for being a new listener, i have no clue what is a dac.

I really don't have a budget. I would say something that works the best with Westone 3. It would be cool if it was portable too, like a Fiio E5.

Could you guys also suggest a mp3 player with great sound quality? From what I am reading, COWON players sounds the best.

Thanks alot.

truthfully speaking x5l is great mp3 player, iriver t60 also is - it depends about money you have

DAC- digital to analog converter - it means, that when you have amplifier with dac inside, and you put it into your pc [for example] - you dont use your sound card - build in DAC in your amp behaves like it is your sound card.

im newb here so i hope that i am not talking s#$%t right now
smily_headphones1.gif

i have W3 and some people say p51 mustang is great with W3. some people say that PICO amp is great with W3. dilemmas dilemmas dilemmas

try this - maybe it'll help a bit

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/p...5/#post5328725

peace

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well for me, I use my iPhone 3G. The SQ is very good using the headphone out already, I use it this way when I'm on subway or bus. I used it with Hornet before and waiting for my new amp to arrive. If budget is no issue, take a look at Predator or Pico. Both of them are with DAC. For amp only, Pico without amp and Mustang. The minibox E+ got a great review too.

From I read, the W3 with Mustang have great synergy.

DAC - digital to analog, usually plug into usb port of computer and bypass the audio card of computer.

geez...fast react time man
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back