Westone 2nd gen UM Pro 10, UM Pro 20, UM Pro 30, and UM Pro 50 iems
Aug 17, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #46 of 58
Do you guys think westone will update their um pro series again to include their new spc cable and bluetooth cable like what their offering for the W series? Afraid to buy and then 2 months down the road there's another refresh with the upgraded cables :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #47 of 58
My guess is no. The current UM Pro series was only updated a little more than a year and a half ago, so that'd probably be a bit soon for yet another refresh. Also, it's a series primarily meant for professionals, so bluetooth and silver plating probably wouldn't be very big sellers.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #48 of 58
My guess is no. The current UM Pro series was only updated a little more than a year and a half ago, so that'd probably be a bit soon for yet another refresh. Also, it's a series primarily meant for professionals, so bluetooth and silver plating probably wouldn't be very big sellers.

Exactly, UM Pro series is intended for stage/performance musicians, while W-series is consumer/audiophile targeted. So, BT cable would probably be not the highest priority for UM Pro users. And the new cable you can buy separately, though I noticed it's already sold out on westone site but amazon still has some.

Curious what Westone would release next. UM Pro is refreshed, and so does W series. B-series was introduced. They need something new and big.

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #49 of 58

Exactly, UM Pro series is intended for stage/performance musicians, while W-series is consumer/audiophile targeted. So, BT cable would probably be not the highest priority for UM Pro users. And the new cable you can buy separately, though I noticed it's already sold out on westone site but amazon still has some.

Curious what Westone would release next. UM Pro is refreshed, and so does W series. B-series was introduced. They need something new and big.

Right. If there's ever a V3 for the UM PRO series, I hope Westone returns to the sound signature of the original V1 PRO 30 for the PRO 30's next iteration. Bluetooth or not, I don't use it anyway so not an issue for me.

I've just A/B-ed the W60 V2, PRO 30 V2 and PRO 30 V1. I think I am going with the PRO 30 V1 (This store said that they might have leftover stocks for the V1 so once they get back to me and if they have stocks for it, I'm going with the Pro 30 V1.) Basically my ears seems to prefer thicker mids, a stronger mid bass slam and a slightly warmer sounding signature.

The V1 seems to be the perfect match for me. The 2 things that the PRO 30 V1 is missing is a slightly wider sound stage and better separation which the PRO 30 V2 has.

In PRO 30 V2, the Treble and Bass seems to be pushed back / feels more laid back while the vocals and upper mids seems to be more forward than in the V1. I don't know but I find myself tempted to get into the equalizer to boost both the sub and mid bass by +3 db for more bass slam in the V2 while in the V1 I do not feel that urge to do so. If i don't temper with the equalizer, I would have to increase the volume which than would blast the vocals into my ear drums instead of providing more strength to the bass.

Also drums has more slam (snares) in the V1 while in the V2 its toned down and feels laid back. IMO

The W60 V2 has more bass impact/sub bass than the PRO 30 V2 and overall seems to have more of that low end than the V2. Overall I agree with twister that the PRO 30 V2 is similar to W30. Possibly a good thing for others but disappointing for me. The B30's bass is strong but seems to be lacking the speed and accuracy that I desire. I wished Westone had kept the same sound signature of the UM 30 PRO v1 which was also similar to the UM3X while simply improving on the staging instead of tempering with the sound signature which has been this way since um3x. I've tried many earphones, shure, sennheiser, sony, and even the chifi KZ ZS10, I still prefer the westones for their warmer and smoother sound but if they had stayed with the previous PRO 30 V1's signature for the V2 it would've been perfect and an easier purchase. I just hope that the V1's that i might end up with will last more than 2 years, after reading the owners thread I'm a little concern but no choice for me since the Pro 30 V1s offers the sound signature that's exactly to my taste. So it's either the W60 V2 or the PRO 30 v1. W60 V2's bass is slower and (less impactful than PRO 30 V1 but not as much as the PRO 30 V2). But does everything else better than the PRO 30 V1 (staging, imaging, mids, highs). Price is also 600 bucks more too :beyersmile: Decisions. Sacrifice slightly on the signature and go with the W60 v2?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #50 of 58
I haven't heard any other models, but the UM Pro 50 v2 sounds like it might be up your alley. I don't know what your references/preferences are, but from what you describe it seems like it might be a good fit for you.
From reading reviews it has more controlled bass than the W60; sub-bass is awesome, but really needs a good seal and the right tips; to my ear, mid-bass has very good impact, though, again, my experience is that it's very tip dependent; I'd say the mids are pretty thick (I guess?), though a bit below the bass overall; men's vocals sounds really great; upper-mids (cymbals, etc.) are a bit low in the mix, but very clear and articulate; same goes for treble. I think my one gripe about their sound is that at lower volume the upper-mids and treble detail can get buried by the bass, which sometimes causes me to listen louder than I'd like-- my "preferred signature" (I'm actually pretty flexible) is somewhat more vocal-forward, though.

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #51 of 58
I haven't heard any other models, but the UM Pro 50 v2 sounds like it might be up your alley. I don't know what your references/preferences are, but from what you describe it seems like it might be a good fit for you.
From reading reviews it has more controlled bass than the W60; sub-bass is awesome, but really needs a good seal and the right tips; to my ear, mid-bass has very good impact, though, again, my experience is that it's very tip dependent; I'd say the mids are pretty thick (I guess?), though a bit below the bass overall; men's vocals sounds really great; upper-mids (cymbals, etc.) are a bit low in the mix, but very clear and articulate; same goes for treble. I think my one gripe about their sound is that at lower volume the upper-mids and treble detail can get buried by the bass, which sometimes causes me to listen louder than I'd like-- my "preferred signature" (I'm actually pretty flexible) is somewhat more vocal-forward, though.
Just auditioned the um 50 pro v2 again, i prefer the original um 50 pro. Sound signature wise, the originals sound better to my ears. Drums and bass hits harder and the distance between the vocals and bass are not too far apart (bass seems to be pushed further back on the v2) in the originals as compared to their v2 counterparts.

Heck if i could get the westone rep to sell me a brand new v1 um 30 pro I'd buy it, even better if they could have it reshelled into the v2's more durable shell. Sadly the store got back to me and said that they no longer carry v1 30 pro. Guess I'm outta luck.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #52 of 58
Just auditioned the um 50 pro v2 again, i prefer the original um 50 pro. Sound signature wise, the originals sound better to my ears. Drums and bass hits harder and the distance between the vocals and bass are not too far apart (bass seems to be pushed further back on the v2) in the originals as compared to their v2 counterparts.

Heck if i could get the westone rep to sell me a brand new v1 um 30 pro I'd buy it, even better if they could have it reshelled into the v2's more durable shell. Sadly the store got back to me and said that they no longer carry v1 30 pro. Guess I'm outta luck.

You can't stop the progress :D Of course, it's understandable that for some people "progress" of new fine-tuning could be a step back lol!!! It's all a matter of a personal preference :wink:

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #53 of 58
Hi @twister6 , I have heard UM PRO 30 but no chance to demo UM PRO 50. I like the sound signature of Fiio FH7 with Mojo (especially the resolution and bass), mainly listen to pop and jazz. Now I am looking for iem with better isolation than FH7 for daily commute, and also more comfortable to sleep in with. Would you recommend UM Pro 30 or 50? Is Pro 50 much more warmer than Pro 30?

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #54 of 58
Hi @twister6 , I have heard UM PRO 30 but no chance to demo UM PRO 50. I like the sound signature of Fiio FH7 with Mojo (especially the resolution and bass), mainly listen to pop and jazz. Now I am looking for iem with better isolation than FH7 for daily commute, and also more comfortable to sleep in with. Would you recommend UM Pro 30 or 50? Is Pro 50 much more warmer than Pro 30?

I'm not familiar with FH7, but have read other impressions and saw FR graph of its response. In my opinion, UM Pro 50 will be closer to FH7 since Pro 30 bass is more elevated while Pro 50 should be more on par with FH7. What do you think when you heard Pro 30 and how it compares to FH7? Pro 50 signature will be more balanced with a better refined sound and wider soundstage expansion. Pro 30 is fun, no doubt about it, but Pro 50 has a more mature audiophile tuning and less coloring of the sound when compared to Pro 30.

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #55 of 58
Thanks for your reply @twister6! To me UM PRO 30 has narrower soundstage and warmer sound than FH7. Bass is not as tight as FH7, and have less resolution than FH7. I wish Pro 30 has wider soundstage and more resolution, without being any warmer than it already is, probably this is my threshold limit for warmth. I read somewhere people mentioned that UM Pro 50 Gen 1 is much more warmer than UM Pro 30 Gen 1. Not sure if that’s the case for Gen 2?

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #56 of 58
Thanks for your reply @twister6! To me UM PRO 30 has narrower soundstage and warmer sound than FH7. Bass is not as tight as FH7, and have less resolution than FH7. I wish Pro 30 has wider soundstage and more resolution, without being any warmer than it already is, probably this is my threshold limit for warmth. I read somewhere people mentioned that UM Pro 50 Gen 1 is much more warmer than UM Pro 30 Gen 1. Not sure if that’s the case for Gen 2?

I just went back to listen and to compare gen 2 Pro 30 vs Pro 50, and Pro 30 is definitely warmer due to a thicker mids/vocals. Pro 50 soundstage is wider, mids are more transparent, clear, resolving, and you have a little more sparkle in treble which creates an overall more transparent and balanced sound across entire frequency range.

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #57 of 58
Thanks for taking time to compare, I really appreciate it! Based on your description Pro 50 will be more suited for me compared to Pro 30. This is very helpful because I couldn't find any demo of Pro 50. Have a wonderful day ahead!

May 28, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #58 of 58
Does anyone have recommendations for cables that will fully cover the shorter ports of the UM PRO series iems? I've tested the Fiio RC cables but both of them didn't fully cover the port, leaving the gold connection partly exposed. I'm afraid if sweat or water gets in there, things could get ugly. Or are we stuck with westone cables only?

Actually from @twister6 's W80 review which came with an ALO Reference 8 cable.. it seems like there is a similar gap https://twister6.com/2016/09/30/first-look-at-westone-w80/ in between the connection where the gold connection points are showing. If even with an official westone recommended cable has that small opening is it safe to say that the exposed gold connection is not a big deal? :thinking:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back