Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Jan 17, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #106 of 441
Haha, I hear you. The same writer gushed about the Klipsch S4, which seem to be her reference point for great IEMs. While very good for the money are not in the same league as the 2s.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #107 of 441
Well, I have been known to gush a little over the S4s, still like them alot. But after spending even more time with the W2s today, no A/Bing, just listening, with the UM56s and I have to say, they are keepers. I had to use the EQ a little to get them where I want them, but wow, they are really an excellent IEM and my favorite Westone phone. To be honest, I didn't have the UM56s with my W3s, but with the small body size of the W2s, they UM56s could not be better comfort and fit wise. THe SQ also is best with the customs.

So to me, rather than spending $400 on W3 or UM3X with UM56s, get the W2s and UM56s for a little more than $300, and it's all good. I like them that much. More soon.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #108 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had tried those flanges tip long ago. It has to do with my ear. they are dry, so dry that tri-flange don't goes in well and bi-flange don't seal well (when my ear is wet such as after shower they works great but that is about it). the only deep insert that work is comply with mean I have to change it constantly. hence shallow insert is the only option and shallow mean least isolation without using foam. I used to have UM56 but it doesn't work for me either not to mention they do not isolate better than foam and like most silicon tip the impact of my footstep transfer to the IEM making them move and the movement turn into loud sound that is extremely disturbing. insert them is also difficult like inserting tri-flange and IEM will stick out so much. for all these reason, I have to stick with olive. silicon tip, any minor imperfection in fitting will cause a lot of trouble for me. luckily the initial impression of soft gray silicon is good except isolation. so I am getting it for when less isolation is needed but otherwise I will alway use olive.

Gross as this sounds, I just wet the tris whenever I needed to use them. So I agree, without some sort of lube the tris are not good.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #109 of 441
So here is the write-up of these on Earphone Solutions: " We love the sound of the new Westone 2 specially for Hip-Hop music. The comfort and fit are unbeatable and the earpieces offer a negative profile (as in recessed in the ear design) making it a perfect earphone to listen to music while falling asleep. They have excellent bass due to the new passive dual crossover and dual driver."

Doesn't that sound weird? It's almost the opposite of what most of you are saying!

So, these sound like they would be really good w/ classical. Agreed?

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #110 of 441
Yea, that doesn't sound right. While you could do hip hop with them there are better options. That bass is adequate and present but many other choices have more bass that is still pretty controlled.

Yes, they would be awesome for classical and jazz and acoustic.

As far as the low profile...you could go hang gliding or parachuting and these things would not budge.

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #111 of 441
Wow.. I'm glad your enjoying my old W2's Tsarn.. Yea I was sad to see them go but my custom TF10 will get most my use.. Although I might wanna refit the right side, but I'm hearing of some long wait times at fisher.. lol

Hm. so did those W2 look BRAND new when you opened the box sir?

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #112 of 441
Yes, they looked brand new, and thanks for putting them in the FS forum.

As for using them with hip-hop, I guess I feel the Sony X EQ can bring out just enough bass kick for The Roots and my other scanty hip-hop artist collection. So for bass-enhanced genres, they sound excellent to me as well.

Again, I am really starting to think these are at least on par if not better than my TF10 customs, but since they are not all that similar (to me), it's nice to have two great pair of "custom" phones.

I think my S4s will be getting a rest (or going to a relative), since it's hard not to use either the W2s or the Trip customs. I do have the Rain on the way, but they will have to sound pretty darn good to hang around.

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #113 of 441
Loving my W2's...I really don't find a single criteria or fault with this well-engineered IEM. Not saying it's the best IEM I have ever heard because their are funner, more accurate, bigger bass, sharper treble, larger soundstage sounding IEM's.....I'm just saying W2 does everything very very well. Hard to dislike it for any particular reason.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #114 of 441
I am starting to feel that way myself, as if you couldn't tell. And we both have experienced the Westone universal gamut (though I really didn't care for the Um1s, and never had the UM2s or W1s. Does that cover all the universals?).

Anyway, thanks for the thread. I have to say, Spyro, you should take the UM56 plunge. The W2s can be better!

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #116 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still waiting for a report on how the W2's compare to the W1's and E2c.

You'll have more success with starting a new thread...

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #117 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still waiting for a report on how the W2's compare to the W1's and E2c.

Guess you missed this post, which was right after your first request.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6319888-post92.html

As for a W1 vs. W2 comparison, not many W2 owners have the W1s is my guess. One person who does is headphoneaddict, who is supposed to release his W2 review soon. But he already has posted about the W1s somewhere. He knows the differences, so I would try to track down his posts on the issue using search, since I can't remember where I saw them.

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #118 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess you missed this post, which was right after your first request.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6319888-post92.html

As for a W1 vs. W2 comparison, not many W2 owners have the W1s is my guess. One person who does is headphoneaddict, who is supposed to release his W2 review soon. But he already has posted about the W1s somewhere. He knows the differences, so I would try to track down his posts on the issue using search, since I can't remember where I saw them.

I did catch that, but it was too unspecific. So far I am really disappointed with the W1's (no word from Westone yet) I hope they're just defective.
I will try to track down headphone addict.

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #120 of 441
I posted a W2 review teaser in my big W3 review thread.

I am mostly done with the listening part of my W2 review, except for the part listening with my desktop rig that is so good with my other IEM. And, I have my notes in a fairly coherent organization and could post my review now, but I want to clean it up and add a few more things.

If you are waiting to buy them after my review, I'll make it easy for you and just say that if you can't afford the W3 or UM3X, then go ahead and get the W2 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back