Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Dec 2, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #16 of 441
Most welcome.

I should add that I did a specific A/B test between my ES3X and W2 today using music from Queen, Olivia Ong (jazz/easy listening), 90's pop (I am from that era) and when I switched back and forth from W2 to ES3X I felt that what the W2 was clearly cast from the same mold, only smaller slightly in a way that I noticed only because I was going back and forth. The ES3X is still an altogether more complete experience to me. The W2 is not far behind. I do not want to give percentage figures like 90% of ES3X but I will say I clearly felt that I was not being shortchanged by the W2 and, as a result, am so grateful for the product from Westone that I registered just to post about the W2.

I think I am fairly experienced with IEM's and headphones having a Grado RS1, ESW10(ltd), MS1, c-jays, q-jays, ER4P, TF10, PK1's. OK1's,OK3's, IE8, ES3X, a few v-moda's and senn's for exercise, H2O Audio Interval for swimming. Tomahawk and MF amps (my comments relate to the W2's amp'ed and unamp'ed and the same for the ES3X. They both really do not need an amp).

The W2's are the best buy in my collection.

I work in the real estate industry in Singapore not Westone.

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(I) am so grateful for the product from Westone that I registered just to post about the W2.

I think I am fairly experienced with IEM's and headphones having a Grado RS1, ESW10(ltd), MS1, c-jays, q-jays, ER4P, TF10, PK1's. OK1's,OK3's, IE8, ES3X, a few v-moda's and senn's for exercise, H2O Audio Interval for swimming. Tomahawk and MF amps (my comments relate to the W2's amp'ed and unamp'ed and the same for the ES3X. They both really do not need an amp).

The W2's are the best buy in my collection.

You own ALL THOSE PHONES and you registered just to post
about the W2s??? I'd have thought you'd be a regular.
I'll be interested in hearing what the general consensus is on the W2s when more folks start weighing in on them - different ears/experiences and all that....

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 441
Sorry-wrong quote...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJK59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You own ALL THOSE PHONES and you registered just to post
about the W2s??? I'd have thought you'd be a regular.
I'll be interested in hearing what the general consensus is on the W2s when more folks start weighing in on them - different ears/experiences and all that....

Yep. I've been lurking for a bit, but these phones really inspired me. Sorry I'm not really qualified to write up a detailed review, but if you have any questions I will be glad to try and answer them.

I will say-the other phones now seem like a waste of money to me. I will probably send the Klipsch and SA phones back for a refund, since I purchased them both very recently.

Dave

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #21 of 441
None of us will really be able to get a reference until we hear about a comparison with UM3X and W3, and UM2. Saying W3 was siblant to the reviewer really tells us nothing other than he had fit problems. If he was certain he did not have fit issues...and still found W3 siblant I would be worried W2 is lacking in treble.

I look forward to more reviews!

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #22 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of us will really be able to get a reference until we hear about a comparison with UM3X and W3, and UM2. Saying W3 was siblant to the reviewer really tells us nothing other than he had fit problems. If he was certain he did not have fit issues...and still found W3 siblant I would be worried W2 is lacking in treble.

I look forward to more reviews!

I think that is a fair comment and an accurate observation. There were clearly fit issues with the W3 as I had to use the available bud in the shop. I do not own the W3, I just tested it.

I should also define "siblant". It is not like the MDR700 bud which I own which is clearly siblant where with some songs, especially poorly engineered songs (even recorded on lossless) like Rihanna's "Take a Bow" makes it almost painful to listen to.

The W3 to my ears was not painful or harsh in any way, just that I could hear the "sssss" in the articulation of the "s's" in Rihanna's "Take a bow". Which I generally avoid as it can get fatiguing after a while.

And I cannot offer an accurate comparison between UM3X and W3 vs W2. I don't own them.

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #24 of 441
Hmm. Wow PCKS. That is a very interesting comment from you, makes me feel all the bit better about my choice so far lol. How would they compare to the PK1? cuz I have the PK2

I just got my Westone 2 today in the mail.
biggrin.gif
. So far I've only had a few minutes to listen to them. But wow they are impressive so far. I've yet to get a acceptible seal, but managed a decent one with the longer, skinny comply that was included. It has great bass once I get a decent seal.

More info will follow after I spend some time with them

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #25 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by willy1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCKS what are your thoughts on the W2 vs IE8... seeing as they are around the same price? IE8 used or taking a risk on ebay would be around 250$

I liked the IE8 from 10 hours of burn-in onwards. They are very hard hitting phones and like it has been described before, they don't give you much of an opportunity to relax to the music, they command your attention and when it has your attention, it shows you how impressive it is for a bud.

Bass on IE8 is clearly deeper and sufficiently well articulated. Bass on the W2 is well articulated. But some sub-bass notes will fade into the background on the W2. I noticed this only as I was switching back and forth between the IE8 and W2 last evening.

Mids are lush but a little dark on the IE8. Detail is there but still darker in a typical Senn way I think it would be fair to say. Mids on the W2 are lush, airer and come across more accurate (no effort needed to listen for details) and definitely are in the same ballpark as my ES3X meaning I do not feel shortchanged here moving from ES3X to W2.

Treble is noticeably clearer on the W2 perhaps because it feels less recessed than the IE8. Treble detail is there on the IE8 but I think treble and mids play second fiddle to the bass quality and punch of the IE8 which seems to dominate.

I am still very fond of the IE8 and if they can be reshelled without further emphasizing the bass, that is what I would do. Otherwise as an IEM, where I assume comfort and a good seal are important, I cannot help feeling that the W2's represent a better bet. If I could do it again, I would get the W2 and maybe a HD650 for home listening. I travel quite a bit in airplanes, and the IE8's just do not isolate enough. You have to crank up the volume more than is actually necessary if you had a good seal.

If you want the IE8's primarily for listening at home and if you can deal with significantly less isolation, the IE8's are very impressive and high quality phones.

If you are looking for phones for portable use and isolation is favored, the W2's are the way to go I think.

Think IE8 for entertaining music (bass emphasized and beaty) and W2 for balanced music. I raved about the ES3X in a Singapore board and the word I kept coming to was "balance". The same applies to the W2 I am confident in stating.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #26 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. Wow PCKS. That is a very interesting comment from you, makes me feel all the bit better about my choice so far lol. How would they compare to the PK1? cuz I have the PK2

I just got my Westone 2 today in the mail.
biggrin.gif
. So far I've only had a few minutes to listen to them. But wow they are impressive so far. I've yet to get a acceptible seal, but managed a decent one with the longer, skinny comply that was included. It has great bass once I get a decent seal.

More info will follow after I spend some time with them

I have not actually done a comparison with my PK1's yet. PK1's are my office phone when I want quality from a discreet bud. Will do so and post comments later.

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #27 of 441
Ya that would be great. I've been comparing them with my pk2 so far today but I've still only had a very limited ammount of time with them so still can't comment to much. I've found that the medium comply foam that comes stock fits pretty well, but the clear gel tips are not for me.

These phones do for sure have a nice balanced sound with just the right ammount of air to it. Not to sibilant and sounds great, some songs set to acoustic really are excellent but I don't like to EQ much on iPod

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #28 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks cool and all, but with those specs it probably hisses like crazy out of portable players. My UM2 aren't far off in terms of specifications and I can't use them without my Tomahawk in the signal path.

Westone needs to start making their phones over 100 ohms so we can listen without an amp. Hiss =/= high fidelity.

Let us know how much hiss they do have.

Ummm... not totally true. More times than not, it's the poor grounding of the portable player. I've heard SEVERAL manufacturers earphones (including ours) on SEVERAL sources and sometimes they hiss and sometimes they do not.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #29 of 441
Thanks for chiming in on that powderhound.. I was all exited about purchasing my new Westone 2 IEM's and he comes in with this hiss =/= high fidelity and got me worried. lol. not really, but still..

I have tried more than one ipod, and my touch and with no music playing, and music playing. While on pause and at full volume I don't notice a hiss on my W2's. I'm still fighting with my ears to get a good fit, but that will come in time I'm sure. It's only my second IEM I'm actually giving a chance to enjoy.

While ur in here powderhound, where can I buy some more triple flanges that come with the westone, or some bi flanges that I can cut to my liking. I wanna trim these tri flanges into bi flanges but I need to buy more first so I have multiple selections. I found some shure triple's for sale at amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back