Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Dec 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 441

xguntherc

100+ Head-Fier

Yes, Newly Released by Westone® comes a new True-Fit IEM that should hopefully be a good contender in the $200-300 Range. It was just released November 27th, slightly after the well received Westone 1. From what I've read the Westone 2 is like the W1 being an overall improvement over the UM1 with a smaller, more comfortable body, better & more durable professional grade wire for little to no cable noise. As well as having a slightly longer nozzle for better & deeper insertion over the W3. My understanding from Westone & Earphone Solutions is the W2 has all the things & small size that made the W1 better than the UM1 or more comfortable I should say. So we'll see how the new and improved W2 stacks up to the UM2. Here's to hoping it will be very comfortable and sound great, as well as get us close to the W3 sound for much less cost.

It's a Dual Balanced Armature headphone with 1 BA for the lows, and 1 for the mid & higher frequencies. Built more for personal audio and portable listening like ipod, MP3, and CD player usage. Compared to the UM series that are built for studio use. The Westone 1, 2, & 3 should have a different, fun and more colored sound with added realism & punch over the studio UM series. The Westone 2 is being released starting at $249

Enough about that. Everyone here knows plenty about Westone! Mine will be here this week.
biggrin.gif
So after some quality listening
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll be sure to give some input and impressions. Here's some links, and pictures. I'll update with Reviews when some turn up. Oh and I like the blue 2, over the spider look of the W3. I'm also happy to report The Westone 2 comes complete with an inline volume control, ¼” adapter, travel case, and ten different types of eartips to customize the fit to the anatomy of any ear.

Westone 2 True-Fit Earphones :: Westone
Hearing products for hearing professionals :: Westone

[size=medium]Now for the good stuff... [/size]

Thanks Westone!

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 441
I figured I'd reserve the first reply for when I receive mine. I'll be posting what I think, as well as a few more HD close-up pictures when I get mine in the next day or 2. Depending on how fast FMA ships.

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 441
Looks cool and all, but with those specs it probably hisses like crazy out of portable players. My UM2 aren't far off in terms of specifications and I can't use them without my Tomahawk in the signal path.

Westone needs to start making their phones over 100 ohms so we can listen without an amp. Hiss =/= high fidelity.

Let us know how much hiss they do have.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks cool and all, but with those specs it probably hisses like crazy out of portable players. My UM2 aren't far off in terms of specifications and I can't use them without my Tomahawk in the signal path.

Westone needs to start making their phones over 100 ohms so we can listen without an amp. Hiss =/= high fidelity.

Let us know how much hiss they do have.

so the W3's have this problem also?

and what makes them different than a X10, or SE530 from an ipod or other portable players??

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 441
well the W2's specs are very similar to the W3's in all ways but the x-overs and full 3 BA's.. so hopefully they are ok.

Plus I'm sure they'll sound fine.. They are my first good IEM's, so I'm expecting to enjoy them plenty.. my ER6i, im616 and PK2's dont have that problem.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 441
Triple XOs, drivers, three-way: none of it means anything for hiss. The JH13Pro still hisses, but not too badly. The worst is the Westone UM2 and maybe the FitEars 333. I will be trying these out over Christmas time to finish a review soon after.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 441
you'll be trying what over x-mas, the W2's? I'd love to read ur review if it's on the Westone 2.. Anyways lets get off the hiss subject if this is going to be a appreciation thread like all the others.

I'm sure I'll Appreciate my W2 when I get em. lol

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 441
When did you order them? I ordered from earphonesolutions on Friday early AM with bingcashback as well as cyber monday deal making them under $200. but USPS tracking didn't update anything til today. tuesday. I sure hope they sent em back when I got the *shipped* email Friday around 1 PM

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 441
I have the ES3X (S/N 0131) and have been looking for a knockabout version of the same for times when I do not want to bring such expensive headphones around.

Bought the W2 this Saturday past after trying the W3, UM3X W1 and W2.

W3 = too sibilant, sound signature did not remind me at all of the ES3X.

UM3X = reminded me of the IE8 but with better balance in the bass. I still found the bass overpowering the balance. Mids were very nice if a little forward. I dropped this as my IE8's were not receiving much attention of late. They are fun to listen to but are very in your face and do not give you the sense that all is well in the world which the ES3X does. In fact, I went from IE8's to q-jays (which are now being reshelled cause, whilst I liked the sound I could not get a good fit).

W1 = nice mids and highs. Not enough bass presence or balance.

W2 = almost immediately, it reminded me of the ES3X. Balance. Bass was not as whole in the entire picture and treble was slightly less airy. But the resemblance in the overall sound - balance, a sense that nothing was being thrust or omitted from you, a complete musical experience given its context. I can listen to the ES3X for hours on end. I can listen to the W2 for hours on end.

An added plus, the W2 achieves the best seal of the universal IEM's that I have/have owned with the seal only being beat by the ER4P with pain (using triflanges). I have the IE8, TF10, q-jays.

If the ES3X is the premiere sound signature of Westone, to my ears W2's are clearly in the ballpark for significantly less. I would recommend this to any of my friends wanting to splurge real world money (those of us here, I believe, are beyond real world), I would direct them to the W2 for (1) ease of fit and (2) clear quality of the sound.

p.s. I have been "lurking" this site for more than a year happy to just learn from posters here. The W2's motivated me to register and post this. That is how "worth it" I think they are.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the ES3X (S/N 0131) and have been looking for a knockabout version of the same for times when I do not want to bring such expensive headphones around.

Bought the W2 this Saturday past after trying the W3, UM3X W1 and W2.

W3 = too sibilant, sound signature did not remind me at all of the ES3X.

UM3X = reminded me of the IE8 but with better balance in the bass. I still found the bass overpowering the balance. Mids were very nice if a little forward. I dropped this as my IE8's were not receiving much attention of late. They are fun to listen to but are very in your face and do not give you the sense that all is well in the world which the ES3X does. In fact, I went from IE8's to q-jays (which are now being reshelled cause, whilst I liked the sound I could not get a good fit).

W1 = nice mids and highs. Not enough bass presence or balance.

W2 = almost immediately, it reminded me of the ES3X. Balance. Bass was not as whole in the entire picture and treble was slightly less airy. But the resemblance in the overall sound - balance, a sense that nothing was being thrust or omitted from you, a complete musical experience given its context. I can listen to the ES3X for hours on end. I can listen to the W2 for hours on end.

An added plus, the W2 achieves the best seal of the universal IEM's that I have/have owned with the seal only being beat by the ER4P with pain (using triflanges). I have the IE8, TF10, q-jays.

If the ES3X is the premiere sound signature of Westone, to my ears W2's are clearly in the ballpark for significantly less. I would recommend this to any of my friends wanting to splurge real world money (those of us here, I believe, are beyond real world), I would direct them to the W2 for (1) ease of fit and (2) clear quality of the sound.

p.s. I have been "lurking" this site for more than a year happy to just learn from posters here. The W2's motivated me to register and post this. That is how "worth it" I think they are.

Thank you for your review!! I have w3 and w1. So I want to complete my westone family!!

I decide to buy w2 because of your review! I also hope other review.

THANKS!!
k701smile.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #15 of 441
Wow PCKS - your comments about the W2s being similar in signature to the ES3Xs is intriguing. I'm eager to hear more feedback on the W2s once a few of you have had a chance to listen and report - particularly on how they sound (or how much ground they give up) relative to the W3 and UM3X.
I was on the fence, agonizing over these 3 iems, and finally bit the bullet and ordered the W3s from earphonesolutions.com about 10 minutes before their 15% off Cyber deal expired Monday night. Unfortunately, there was no feedback on the W2s to go by, other than a couple of non-detailed, but less than stellar comments about them on a thread I had posted (Help me spend $350 fast!...)
The great thing is that when I ordered W3s, based on what I'd read about the sound signature, I knew there was a possibility that I might want to exchange them for the UM3Xs (or the W2s, if they turn out to get great reviews - the cheaper price of which would allow me to divert some $ toward an amp to power my 600-ohm Beyer DT990s).
I specifically asked earphonesolutions if they'd be willing to extend the 15% off price to me on the UM3Xs if I decided to exchange my W3s within 30 days - and they agreed they'd make an exception and do so. I'm thrilled that they'd do this, as it's given me a bit more peace of mind in case I don't love the 3s. I'm not looking to open the floodgates on discounted exchanges at earphonesolutions, since an extension of the discount clearly isn't their usual policy, but I think it speaks volumes that they'd agree to do this since I asked in advance.
Looking forward to hearing the W3s and to hearing more about the new W2s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back