Westone 2 over Westone 3
Aug 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mountfranklin

New Head-Fier
I thought i would be upgrading when i bought my westone 3s because i enjoyed my westone 2s so much but boy was i wrong. Im not great at explaining, but my first impression was it just sounded thick. Thick and fat. Its weird how when you want an iem so badly you only take in all the positive reviews and none of the criticisms. anyways i need to make up 15 posts so i can quickly put up a for trade thread. if someone can recommend me a good iem based on the info here it would be much appreciated.
-love my westone 2s cause of the awesome detail and seperation. I love nice bright highs, but i remember when i first had them they sounded a tad unrealistic because i was used to my hd555 which i find theyre better at putting that natural warm sound into most of my songs.
- I listen to mostly contemporary folk and indie rock and soul/jazz and synth pop here and there. Rock based instruments with effects and synths u know..
- Im around real, quality instruments on a regular basis so i like earphones that can make instruments sound real? if that makes sense?

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 13
unrealistic as in the imaging is stretched, compressed and coloured, right? had the same feeling, although you get used to the W2's really fast. They're quite good. I preferred the W2 over the W3 as well, although the W3 does give a wow-factor in the beginning. W4 I would consider a real upgrade from the W2.
You might also like the Ortofon e-Q5. I liked them so much that I just had to get them. Only thing lacking is bass quantity. If you like phones on the bassy side, consider Sony EX1000 and JVC FX700. The Sony's might be troublesome to get a fit with (they didn't fit me at all).
Although I'm a little confused.. you like the W2 due to its detail, separation and bright high, none of which the HD555 has; it's more focused on painting a big picture, more laid back, with mid-emphasis if anything. So what kind of sound signature do you prefer now?

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
- Im around real, quality instruments on a regular basis so i like earphones that can make instruments sound real? if that makes sense?

JVC FX700 has amazing timbre but it's sound signature is quite a bit different than the W2

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 13
On W2 versus W3, I prefer W3 due to the fuller sound and larger soundstage.  Not sure if you used same EQ with both but leave bass EQ flat on W3, slight boost on the treble and you basically have a great headphone in your ears.  Just a great big highly detailed sound.

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 13
I went with the W2 and am very happy with how they sound. They are my first pair of good iems. The more I listen to them the more I like them there was no wow factor when I put them on for the first time but as I listen to the more and I keep enjoying them more. Bass could use a small boost on the very low end but it's not horrible by anymeans at all.

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I thought i would be upgrading when i bought my westone 3s because i enjoyed my westone 2s so much but boy was i wrong. Im not great at explaining, but my first impression was it just sounded thick. Thick and fat. Its weird how when you want an iem so badly you only take in all the positive reviews and none of the criticisms. anyways i need to make up 15 posts so i can quickly put up a for trade thread. if someone can recommend me a good iem based on the info here it would be much appreciated.
-love my westone 2s cause of the awesome detail and seperation. I love nice bright highs, but i remember when i first had them they sounded a tad unrealistic because i was used to my hd555 which i find theyre better at putting that natural warm sound into most of my songs.
- I listen to mostly contemporary folk and indie rock and soul/jazz and synth pop here and there. Rock based instruments with effects and synths u know..

Based on the comparative description of what you are hearing with the W3 and W2,  UM3X is very likely an IEM that will appeal to you within the Westone family.

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Well went with the UM2.. Cant wait to see for myself what all the talk is about

You can't go wrong with UM2.  It is not popular because it has been out since 2003 but it is one of only a few IEM's left made in USA.  It is a very full, natural, smooth and creamy sound.  Slight treble roll-off (which can be EQ'd) but very musical IEM.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
I went with the W2 and am very happy with how they sound. They are my first pair of good iems. The more I listen to them the more I like them there was no wow factor when I put them on for the first time but as I listen to the more and I keep enjoying them more. Bass could use a small boost on the very low end but it's not horrible by anymeans at all.

There's a theory floating around that the w2's were held back slightly at the design stage due to Westone not wanting them stepping on the then new 3's. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 13
Again....for anyone wondering W3 is W2 with an underlying subtle subwoofer which really completes the experience in a good way.  W2 sounds very good but when you stick W3 in your ears you feel like you just went from an IEM to a headphone.  If you can afford it, by all means take the W3 over the W2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back