Westone 1 vs SE215, comfort, build quality, etc.?
Jul 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

k923

New Head-Fier
First let me say thanks for the great forum.  I have really learned alot about headphones, iem, etc.  Yet still a big noob.  Anyways on to my question.  I was looking for a pair of IEM's I have narrowed it down to these to I think based off alot of searching.  Here is my main questions about these two.

My priorities would be first comfort, I'm a side sleeper and would like to have them on when I lay in bed, also for travel.  Second would be build quality, and last would be sound.

1. I know the sound differs alot between them, I have heard that the SE215 has a fun sound, not sure what that means. I will mainly be listening to podcasts, rock, some hip-hop.  

2. It seems that these two are some of the most comfortable headphones around, but can somebody who has both compare the two in terms of comfort.

3. Same question as 2 except with build quality.  The SE215 has that new removable cable, which makes me skeptical that it will be strong enough to maintain a good connection.  I have seen that the SE215 have some build quality problems before, nothing really on the westone 1's.  Are they both good in build quality but one is still alot better.

My last question is I have an iphone and if I got the SE215 I was thinking about getting the iphone cable.  How is the cable is the mic/control to big, or is the quality of this cable worse then the original.

Thanks again for the help.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
First let me say thanks for the great forum.  I have really learned alot about headphones, iem, etc.  Yet still a big noob.  Anyways on to my question.  I was looking for a pair of IEM's I have narrowed it down to these to I think based off alot of searching.  Here is my main questions about these two.

My priorities would be first comfort, I'm a side sleeper and would like to have them on when I lay in bed, also for travel.  Second would be build quality, and last would be sound.

1. I know the sound differs alot between them, I have heard that the SE215 has a fun sound, not sure what that means. I will mainly be listening to podcasts, rock, some hip-hop.  

2. It seems that these two are some of the most comfortable headphones around, but can somebody who has both compare the two in terms of comfort.

3. Same question as 2 except with build quality.  The SE215 has that new removable cable, which makes me skeptical that it will be strong enough to maintain a good connection.  I have seen that the SE215 have some build quality problems before, nothing really on the westone 1's.  Are they both good in build quality but one is still alot better.

My last question is I have an iphone and if I got the SE215 I was thinking about getting the iphone cable.  How is the cable is the mic/control to big, or is the quality of this cable worse then the original.

Thanks again for the help.

Not got the Westone 1 but got the 2, so the differences in size should be more or less the same, got the 215 but hardly use it (more why later) so hope it might be of some use anyway

From the top

1)The shure is a dynamic driver based iem unlike the westone 1.  The Westone 1 is a single balanced armature design, so do a google on dynamic vs armature and that should give you an idea of the differences.  The westone 1 is also reviewed in jokerls massive thread so dig that out and have a look.

2/3)Don't like the 215 much tbh.  Slightly biased in the fact that I have fit issues (having said that I don't always get a good seal on the w2) but that aside I'm much much more aware of the shells of the 215 than I am of the westones.  The westones are nice and light (and I can only imagine the 1's are either the same or a little lighter)have an excellent cable (I wish this cable were on most of the iems that I've heard), and whilst it's not detachable get them from a reputable dealer and you should be covered by the 2 year warranty.  In contrast and I stress this is my opinion only, I find that I'm aware of the shells of the 215 all the time, the cable is quite thick and annoying and don't get me started on that b***** memory wire.  Also the plug is stupidly big on the 215's.  I also have had 1 215 fail on me that got replaced after a months waiting, and had 2 westones (1 pair had nozzle broken off (my fault!) other had driver die on me) replaced but a **** site more quickly.  Having said that I would still go westone over shure anyday atm and am just glad I didn't find that out with the more expensive 535's!

Can't help on the last part but I hear that westone are bringing out an iem with ipod controls called the t1, might want to give westone an email about that.

Hope that helps, if you'd like I can do a side by side of the 2 iems to give you some idea of what the differences are (though it may not be right away).

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back