West Michigan Meet
Feb 26, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #61 of 78
Duggeh,

Do you know what chip (and how many) your ead dsp7000mkIII uses?
I can't seem to find any documentation online (oddly)

EDIT: looks like PCM63's, but I still don't know how many of them.

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #62 of 78

Quote:
Uh oh. Didn't realize.
frown.gif

Hope everyone is safe!

Edit: Glad to do it! Wish I could be there in person. Would love to hear your impressions, especially regarding amplification. I hear you are the ortho God?

Yes, I hope everyone got back without incident. Even local roads were starting to get slippery.

Ortho popularizer, maybe. The jovial Mister Ortho, seen on billboards with a monocle, spats and top hat.
I could only form a very general impression, based on plugging the LCD-2s into the several excellent amps at hand, because I'm still recovering from a cold that left me with fluid in my ears. It's a very good headphone, but as I'm sure the Audeze guys would readily agree, there's still work to be done. The improvements from here on out will take disproportionate amounts of effort and time, so I won't expect the LCD-3 to arrive next month. Considering how open they were able to make the LCD-2 (measured by the amount of backwave you can hear reflected from your hands when you reach up to put them on or off), they've come a very long way indeed, farther than most people give them credit for. The real test will be whether they stay with it for the next excruciating step.

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #63 of 78
^Yup, it's dual PCM63's. I can't remember much else, but will pop the hood on it when I bring it in the house tomorrow.
http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14612

Had a great time meeting everyone. Thanks again to Al for arranging a place to meet, and Walter for the pizza. I wish I could remember everyone's names but my mind isn't that sharp. It was good to meet you all.

Thanks for the LCD-2's John. Looks like I got to listen to them after all! (only you will know what that means :) They are nice, and while easier to drive than the HE-6, they are not as trippy sounding. That's a new one for the audio dictionary.

Totally impressed with Todd's(ToddR) Macbook-  ModWright Transporter- Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball- HD650 setup. Never ever heard HD650's sound sooo gooood.

Thanks to Steve from Corner Records for the tube Sansui receiver and ortho+electret's. I could have easily taken this home with me. Very nice stuff.

Thanks to TTVJ for the Peak loaner. Wish it had not had problems. Maybe next time.

So much to do/say/listen to, and never enough time....

I know I'm forgetting something. It won't come to mind unless I post this and go lay down :p

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #64 of 78
Just got back home ... and I live 15 minutes from where we met.   Took a side trip to Founders Brewery with Absorbine_Sr and sent him on his way home.  Wishing him safe travels   Will post pics of the meet tomorrow.  Thanks to everyone who came.  Great seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #65 of 78
Home safe and sound. But I did get caught in a snow drift and had to use the LCD-2's for traction getting out.... (just kidding John. They are safe and sound)

Had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I'm now the lazy headphone guy, so I listened to some gear but mostly just chatted with others. Thanks to Walter for pizza, Thanks to Headroom for sending gear. Thanks to Todd the Vinyl Junkie for sending gear and the Queen album for the raffle. I won it!!

But thanks mostly to Al for facilitating a great get-together as always. It's always worth the drive to Michigan to hang with Al.

And the Sansui killed.

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #66 of 78
Yes, I hope everyone got back without incident. Even local roads were starting to get slippery.

Ortho popularizer, maybe. The jovial Mister Ortho, seen on billboards with a monocle, spats and top hat.
I could only form a very general impression, based on plugging the LCD-2s into the several excellent amps at hand, because I'm still recovering from a cold that left me with fluid in my ears. It's a very good headphone, but as I'm sure the Audeze guys would readily agree, there's still work to be done. The improvements from here on out will take disproportionate amounts of effort and time, so I won't expect the LCD-3 to arrive next month. Considering how open they were able to make the LCD-2 (measured by the amount of backwave you can hear reflected from your hands when you reach up to put them on or off), they've come a very long way indeed, farther than most people give them credit for. The real test will be whether they stay with it for the next excruciating step.

Thanks! Would be interested in your thoughts and impressions (sorry about your cold!) regarding effects of different amplifiers, if at all possible.

Home safe and sound. But I did get caught in a snow drift and had to use the LCD-2's for traction getting out.... (just kidding John. They are safe and sound)

Aaaaaah!

Oh, whew! :)

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #67 of 78

Absorbine_Sr with digger945

Absorbine_Sr, digger945, simreg

Aimless1 gear

TTVJ Slim in foreground, TTVJ Apex Peak/Volcano on top of Bel Cant Dac3

Todd R & Artcefaclor

Detroit in foreground
Artcefaclor, No9, Wendy, Absorbine_Sr & Wualta in background

Detroit gear

digger945 dynamite

digger945 gear

digger945 transport

headphones from Headroom

Gilmore Lite with DPS

Jeff, Wualta, simreg, Wendy, No9, nullstring

No9, Todd R, Wualta, Artecefaclor

nullstring gear

nullstring

Sansui tube receiver

Todd R gear

Wualta

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #68 of 78

2011 West Michigan meet facility

Oops!  Simreg, I somehow managed to miss taking a picture of your gear.  I also missed the Headroom desktop amp and Micro Dac/Micro amp combo.  Also missed No9's gear.  

Thanks to my employer for allowing us to use their office again this year.  Also appreciate the continued participation of Todd The Vinyl Junkie and Headroom.  Special thanks to Jvlgato who loaned his LCD-2 to Absorbine_Sr for our enjoyment.  Thanks to Wualta for supplying pizza.  Our drawing donors were Todd the Vinyl Junkie/Queen record album which Absorbine_Sr took home.  Coffee cups from Headroom.  I don't recall who took those home.  Two $10 gift certificates from The Corner Record Store.  Artcefaclor won one and digger945 got the other one.  Todd R donated a $10 gift card and a mini-to-mini connector.  Can't recall these either.

The Sansui tube receiver was a treat.  I really enjoyed both Todd R & digger945 rigs.  I brought my back up music server but didn't have music on it
eek.gif
  Todd R helped with a creative mac to mac solution, but then the Apex Peak (which worked perfectly at home) wouldn't fire up a tube.  Too bad as it would have been a treat.  Simreg integrated the micro stack from Headroom into his rig.  Not only was this Artcefaclor's first meet, he doesn't own a headphone yet.  Judging from his reaction I'm guessing it won't be long now.

I'm sure I've missed someone or something.  Had a great time and alot of fun reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones.  The gear wasn't bad either
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back