WESC Headphones?
Oct 31, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 11
Like Skullcandy, Earpollution, and the Dr. Dre line, WeSc charges more for looks over sound. The perceived higher value of a more costly product tricks people into thinking that they are actually paying for better sound as well, as evidenced by your own post.

If you're looking for a fashion accessory, though, then by all means go ahead.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like Skullcandy, Earpollution, and the Dr. Dre line, WeSc charges more for looks over sound. The perceived higher value of a more costly product tricks people into thinking that they are actually paying for better sound as well, as evidenced by your own post.

If you're looking for a fashion accessory, though, then by all means go ahead.

yeah i thought that, thanks for the reply!

The reason i asked is i also think grado's are too cool for school? but everyone claims their very good - i thought i would check

& i thought the Dr Dre beats were meant to be good no? I heard them today & didn't understand what was so good about them

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabyburns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
& i thought the Dr Dre beats were meant to be good no? I heard them today & didn't understand what was so good about them

The Dre Beats really aren't as bad as everyone on here makes them to be. They certainly are a step above some of my beloved budget phones. The problem is the price - they cost about 3x more than they should, partly because of all the gimicky features such as ANC, replaceable cabling, and the folding design, all of which I care much less about than sound. Also, the build quality just isn't very impressive.

The sound is colored, yes, but it's not altogether lacking in detail and clarity. A lot of the issues are from the way Demo stands are eq'd - I got a chance to try the beats as well as the entire Bose lineup from my own (trans)portable setup (fuze->mini3) and they were a lot less inaccurate. Still, I can't imagine using them for anything other than rap/pop. Speed metal just overwhelms the Beats so badly that it's not even funny.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dre Beats really aren't as bad as everyone on here makes them to be. They certainly are a step above some of my beloved budget phones. The problem is the price - they cost about 3x more than they should, partly because of all the gimicky features such as ANC, replaceable cabling, and the folding design, all of which I care much less about than sound. Also, the build quality just isn't very impressive.

The sound is colored, yes, but it's not altogether lacking in detail and clarity. A lot of the issues are from the way Demo stands are eq'd - I got a chance to try the beats as well as the entire Bose lineup from my own (trans)portable setup (fuze->mini3) and they were a lot less inaccurate. Still, I can't imagine using them for anything other than rap/pop. Speed metal just overwhelms the Beats so badly that it's not even funny.

I'm new to this but i thought the beats were meant to be really good! When i tried them in HMV thought i didn't get the feeling in my belly that i got the first time i heard seperates or my PX100's when i upgraded them from std buds.

I'm looking forward to getting my first grado's or sennheiser-HD-555...? Anyone any views on what is best?

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabyburns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new to this but i thought the beats were meant to be really good! When i tried them in HMV thought i didn't get the feeling in my belly that i got the first time i heard seperates or my PX100's when i upgraded them from std buds.

I'm looking forward to getting my first grado's or sennheiser-HD-555...? Anyone any views on what is best?

Depends on what you're looking for. Also, that question is better asked in the full-size headphone forum since neither grados (except the iGrado) nor the HD555 are notably portable.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 089709867 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are "stylish". Especially the square ones. I might just buy a pair to hang on the wall

biggrin.gif
the square one also caught my eye :p. They do look great, but I agree with joker, the sound may be the weakest part. But, you never know until you try them.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 11
if they weren't priced that high, i actually would have bought a pair of oboes, just for style's sake. but when i tried them out, i wasn't blown away... merely mildly satisfied... you can do so much better for the price

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 11
I bought and reviewed the WeSC Oboes, and was shocked at the performance. I thought the sound wa slow and ponderous. there's plenty of bass and performance, but it's in no way as tight and precise as it's rivals.

The only designer headphones .... headphones that have come from a company that produce other designer gear like clothes, accessories etc, is Nixon. The headphones aren't bad, but the IEM's are quite good for the price.

I'm afraid the ol' Bose bashing adage of; you can buy better for half the price (which i don't necessarily agree with when it comes to Bose AE and OE headphones) is right on the mark when it comes to WeSC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back