Were my K701 tampered with?
May 1, 2008 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TSi

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

yes... so I've finally got the AKG K701 (as a bday gift from a few of my friends combined). Obviously, I was pretty damn excited to open it!!! man was I amazed. I basically just opened it and plopped on the 701 and boom, I was sitting there for a few minutes listening to music.

After a while, I remembered that someone recently had their K701 tampered with, so basically... I took it off and I actually started to inspect it.

1. I found out that once I opened up the box... there was no bag ON the headphones... so basically, once u open the 2 lids, the headphones were there.
2. There is a plastic bag encasing the wires, which is wrapped in a white cable tie.
3. The cardboard backing that held the headphones were ripped at one headphone side. (which made me start to wonder) I know that I didnt rip it because the headphones can slide right off the backing.
4. The manual was a little ripped at the top (i guess the AKG worker was just careless there)
5. When I look at the pads... they are backwards. Like everyone saids that the 701 has unique pads, with one end thick and another end thin...
Instead of having "thick top / thin bottom" or "thin top / thick bottom"... it has "thick BACK / thin FRONT" I am guessing its either someone took it out or the worker again made a mistake.
6. The 1/4 plug isn't shiny, its actually kinda "rusty" other than the fact that its not really rust, its more... oxidation, which kinda makes the gold look dull.

So do i have a pair of headphones that are actually not "BRAND NEW" or am I just worrying?

May 1, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 16
I think you're worrying too much. The pads are thick on the back and there's no bag, but the 1/4 plug should be shiny since it's gold plated.

May 1, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 16
1-5 were the same for me... i think the headphones were designed with thick back and thin front... because it makes the sound seem like its coming from the front more.
#6, i am not sure... i can't remember but i don't think you should be too worried.

I think the bottom line is this... "Do they sound good to your ears?"

If that's yes, then who cares
wink.gif
If its a no, then get a new pair!

Someone could've already burn them in for you, less work!

As long as there are no physical defects, you should be alright. Mine had a good number of physical scratch and bruises too... but the bottom line is always the sound... if the phones make the music sound good, then forget the rest!

May 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 16
kk thanks a lot guys... hey, its like 2xx$ for a pair of headphones...
the most amount that ive spent on audio right now (even though i didnt spend it directly, as it was a present, but its like a rule of thumb to get presents back to friends when its their turn!)

tats good to know, thanks a lot again.

ps: i woulda thought the pads were thick top and thin bottom or vice versa, not front and back... im gonna take them off and try to experiment with it.

May 1, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 16
Make sure to give the phones plenty of breakin before you start making SQ judgements; 100-200 hours makes a lot of difference in how the K701 sounds, in addition to a strong influence from the amplification you are driving them with.

May 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kk thanks a lot guys... hey, its like 2xx$ for a pair of headphones...
the most amount that ive spent on audio right now (even though i didnt spend it directly, as it was a present, but its like a rule of thumb to get presents back to friends when its their turn!)

tats good to know, thanks a lot again.

ps: i woulda thought the pads were thick top and thin bottom or vice versa, not front and back... im gonna take them off and try to experiment with it.

There's nothing to experiment that would offer any interesting result. Those pads are thick back and thin in front to make the drivers angled to "shoot" sound into your ears as coming from in front of you. You don't need the drivers angled as if sound was coming from above, behind or below you.

Good luck anyway with your experiments
biggrin.gif

Rgrds

May 1, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's nothing to experiment that would offer any interesting result. Those pads are thick back and thin in front to make the drivers angled to "shoot" sound into your ears as coming from in front of you. You don't need the drivers angled as if sound was coming from above, behind or below you.

Good luck anyway with your experiments
biggrin.gif

Rgrds

oh, im planning ot experiment them as in... which way may be more comfortable =D

May 1, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 16
Mmmm comfort wise I don't think there's much to change either. The K701 are among my most comfies and that comes from their low weight, wide ear cups, fresh smooth pads and a softer grip than most of other cans. Only the pressure on the head from the headband could be a bit disturbing on long listening sessions, but that won't change by rotating the pads
wink.gif

Rgrds

May 1, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm comfort wise I don't think there's much to change either. The K701 are among my most comfies and that comes from their low weight, wide ear cups, fresh smooth pads and a softer grip than most of other cans. Only the pressure on the head from the headband could be a bit disturbing on long listening sessions, but that won't change by rotating the pads
wink.gif

Rgrds

lol, thanks for the info!
i already found a way to position my headband so that it doesnt "bother or disturb" me during my listening sessions.
and in terms of rotating the pads, it would basically depend on the curvature of the persons head... its because the thick / thin pads can add/subtract distance of the driver from the ears, which in the end may make a little difference in sound and feel =P
it may actually not affect anything, but hey, i like to experiemtn

May 1, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 16
That would have some sense if the ear-cups were stiffly attached to the headband, but since the cups allow swinging on their 3 axis, the cup will take any position needed to make the pad resting plain over your skull. That's why the wedged shape of the pads provides the angle necessary to make the drivers "firing" a bit in front of your ears.

Experimenting won't harm anyway
biggrin.gif

Rgrds

May 1, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 16
ya the fatter part of the ear pads should be at the back of your ear towards the bottem. Mine came with the fat part at about 9'oclock if you looking straight at it. I moved it to about 7 o clock and found that to give me the best seal around my ear.

May 1, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what amp are you using?

none yet... i had a portable ibasso d2, sold it... but i am going to get an Apogee Duet soon.

May 1, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 16
I bet they sound alittle lifeless without a amp. I had them for a few months and never tried it without a amp really.

You should be in for a huge surprise when you give those babies some power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back