Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Nov 12, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #391 of 633
Isn't the Milo providing something like 18W already (forgot into which load, guess 32Ohm)?
Yeah, my memory is telling me it was something to do with a Milo (which has a warmer more lush sound than the bigger headphones amps from Wells) with power more similar to the Head-Trip/Enigma. I just can't find the post, and it was only one post and it wasn't from Jeff. Its entirely possible I'm misremembering, or it was an idea and nothing ever came of it.

For example these are the power specs for the HeadTrip/Enigma

• Power output: 50w/channel at 8 ohms, 25W/channel at 32 Ohms
  • 1.8W/channel at 600ohms

So they are both more powerful than the Milo. They both have the same gain, and with most headphones you won't notice a difference coming from the power side of things. With the Susvara, you would, IMO, especially if you want to get into doing any EQ'ing/bass increase, which will require more headroom.

Nov 12, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #392 of 633
Spoke to Jeff today and found it's ok to run gain with 1 and 2 gain settings both on. Since that removed 99% of the noise I was hearing I’m happy with the outcome. We think it has more to do with the 4v output of dac along with iem Sensitivity of 118dB.

The other thing with not being able to switch the tube types is a safety feature that you need to lift up switch before you can use switch to change tube type. Makes a lot sense since you don't want to accidentally change this setting.

After a week of use sound quality is fantastic now that the slight sound I was hearing in almost completely gone leaves me super happy. Jeff offered to have me send it back but at this point feel there’s no reason to.

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #393 of 633
:point_up_2: Jeff is a great guy, and he definitely stands behind his products!

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #394 of 633
After 2 weeks the dragon has started to get burned in and sound has continued to improve. Currently running some nos RCA tubes and like the sound a bit more than included TAD tubes. Going drop the TAD back in and let them burn in since Jeff felt they worked the best with the dragon.
Does anyone have other suggestion on tubes? Below is my ratings on the 12bh7 tubes I have tried with the dragon. Also any thoughts on using 6DJ8 tubes vs 12BH7 tubes?

Sylvania12BH7aBlack PlateSquare double bar*****
CBS12BH7aShort black plateSquare bar****
Hytron12BH7Short black plateHorizon bent horseshoe****+
RCA12BH7aLong Gray PlateThick Circle*****
Hytron 2nd set12BH7Short black plateHorseshoe****+
Sylvania12bh7aShort gray plateSquare double split bar****+
Westinghouse12bh7Short black plateD double bars***+
TAD 12bh7aShort gray plate****

Nov 19, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #395 of 633
After 2 weeks the dragon has started to get burned in and sound has continued to improve. Currently running some nos RCA tubes and like the sound a bit more than included TAD tubes. Going drop the TAD back in and let them burn in since Jeff felt they worked the best with the dragon.
Keep in mind that different tubes please different people, just like different headphones please different people.
All I am saying is: the TAD tubes are Jeff's favorite, but it does not mean they would be YOUR or MY favorites...
(and that is the reason tube rolling is a deep rabbit hole :wink:)

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #396 of 633
Hello everyone,
I'm using Wells Audio DAC level 1. I am very happy with it considering the price I paid. I brought to try it on my friends' system, everyone agrees it's one of the best bargain in audio. However, I have an 'audio-upgrade' disease, so I want to upgrade. May I know what may I expect if upgrade it to level 2?

The previous owner of my Wells Audio (WA) DAC said he upgraded to Lampizator Golden Alantic TPR (twice the price of Wells Audio level 1) because he said WA DAC focus too much on mid bands and have some weakness in bass area. I don't know how true this is?

Could anyone share more information about your experience with level 1 DAC and if you get a chance to listen to any DAC that you prefer?

Thank you.

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #397 of 633
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had experience with the Gruve dac and how they would compare it to similar price day ~$1500 price range. I recently purchased another Euphoria and will be pairing my doge7 with it and need a new dac for my Dragon l3.

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #398 of 633
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had experience with the Gruve dac and how they would compare it to similar price day ~$1500 price range. I recently purchased another Euphoria and will be pairing my doge7 with it and need a new dac for my Dragon l3.
You would appear to be in the bay area. That is lucky so that I could drop off a Gruve Level II ($1500.00) DAC for you to audition at home if you would like. Let me know if you are interested in auditioning it.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #399 of 633
Got curious about the Wells Audio Dragon amp following this thread and managed to find one (Level II) in Germany. Paired it with a Denafrips Pontus II DAC and Final D8000 headphones. The synergy is just pure joy, especially for enthusiasts of detailed and hefty low end textures. If anybody is wondering what tube/hybrid amp works great with Final flagship models: this one does.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #400 of 633
I hear mostly good things about the Dragon, but its size and price are too much for me.

The one I'm very interested in is the Milo. Have heard it several times over the years, always with planars (including the ZMF Caldera at CanJam NYC last month)--really fine sound.

Mar 16, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #401 of 633
I hear mostly good things about the Dragon, but its size and price are too much for me.

The one I'm very interested in is the Milo. Have heard it several times over the years, always with planars (including the ZMF Caldera at CanJam NYC last month)--really fine sound.
The Milo has excellent synergy with ZMF headphones, I was flabbergasted 4 years ago at NY Can Jam and bought one for my Eikons. I have the entry level Milo and it's very magical-maybe I'm missing out on all the great upgrades but it still sounds awesome to me with any headphone I throw at it. But at the Can Jam last month I was blown away by the Atrium Closed/Feliks Audio Euphoria Evo combo. Seriously, it was the best combo I heard at Can Jam. I currently have the Atrium Open but didn't get a chance to hear one with the Evo because the Feliks table didn't have one, nor did the ZMF section have an Evo.

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #402 of 633
Has anyone updated the Wells Audio Dragon for level 1 to a level 2? Currently the power is more than enough and having a better powered psu isn't that needed. The Bybee AC noise filter sounds like worthwhile upgrade.

Just without needing the extra power not sure if it be worth it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #403 of 633
Greetings!

Please give me your opinions what would synergize best with the LCD-4 -> Milo or Dragon lvl 2 ? Main music tastes are primarily classic rock, but also big band era, as well as bit harder stuff on occasion (Black Sabbath, Nazareth etc.)

Thanks for your input :)

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #405 of 633
Recently switched from 12bh7 to the 6dj8 family of tubes. The 6dj8 family includes the 6922 and 7308 tubes. Have to say the 7308 amprex, 7308 Mullard and 6922 Telefunken all sound excellent with the dragon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back