Weller station sucks.
Jul 24, 2005 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
this is my 3rd amp, the weller wlc100.

its trash now, its become unreliable, the power didnt turn on today until a few multiple attempts and all the cabling was inserted properly.

Switching the tip I lost the tiny screw which fell out.

Screw this crappy iron, Im gonna go pick up the hakko 936

Jul 24, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 36
I do a lot of soldering, and I think I already ran the weller through its life span in 20 days, which pretty much has me upset, my rat shack $8 iron lasted longer then this, infact it still works perfectly.

I need some recommendations on a seriously well built iron that has adjustable temp, and I need one that can get hotter then a 40 watt iron for enamel purposes.

my budget is in the $300 price range and below, I would not want to pass that.

I need something SERIOUS and will handle a lot of use. Even if the weller were an entry iron, it still was more then the rat shack and the rat shack lasted longer, what gives?

I want one with a replaceable power cable and replaceable iron, and can attain high temp rates equivelant to 100+ watt iron and still can be set to a low temp setting also.

gimmie some recommendations. for now, Ill have to revert back to my trusty rat shack iron.

Jul 24, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I do a lot of soldering, and I think I already ran the weller through its life span in 20 days, which pretty much has me upset, my rat shack $8 iron lasted longer then this, infact it still works perfectly.

I need some recommendations on a seriously well built iron that has adjustable temp, and I need one that can get hotter then a 40 watt iron for enamel purposes.

my budget is in the $300 price range and below, I would not want to pass that.

I need something SERIOUS and will handle a lot of use. Even if the weller were an entry iron, it still was more then the rat shack and the rat shack lasted longer, what gives?

I want one with a replaceable power cable and replaceable iron, and can attain high temp rates equivelant to 100+ watt iron and still can be set to a low temp setting also.

gimmie some recommendations. for now, Ill have to revert back to my trusty rat shack iron.

Weller WESD51. Weller's cheap end sucks.. but their midrange is very good..

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 36
My WLC100 died after a few hours use too. I got a replacement handle and it died as well. I really am not a big fan of the station, but I have tried to stay quiet since it has worked well for a lot of people.

My Hakko 936 is a much better station all around. It is more comfortable to solder with and performs better. It also seems better built.

Jul 24, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 36
The Weller today isn't the Weller of yesterday. Once Cooper Tools bought them out (along with Plumb, Wiss, Cresent, Erem, Nicholson, and Xcelite, all top names in their field before the buyout) quality went out the door and never returned........

Jul 24, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
Weller WESD51. Weller's cheap end sucks.. but their midrange is very good..

I'll second that - I use mine around 5 hours a day, seven days a week. The tips wear out every so often, but I've never had any problems with the iron. Temperature is stable, handle stays cool, it has a wide, accurate adjustment range and it's reasonably priced.

Of course, there's certainly nothing wrong with the Hakko, either!

-Drew

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 36
I agree!
Weller station's suck, get the Hakko 936.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can find information about repairing your station here:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/wlc100.html

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 36
my old company where i used to work a while back use hakko brand and metcal also and we solder 8hrs/day 6days/week people work there careless and never turn off the station but they'll continue to work and i don't think i've ever saw one died before.

if you getting the hakko 936 make sure picking this up too
smily_headphones1.gif
25 buck for 12 tips is damn cheap.. original hakko iron tips. (the site listed only 10, but i got 12)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ay_Pr4_PcY_BIN

hakko-tips.jpg

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by James281
my old company where i used to work a while back use hakko brand and metcal also and we solder 8hrs/day 6days/week people work there careless and never turn off the station but they'll continue to work and i don't think i've ever saw one died before.

if you getting the hakko 936 make sure picking this up too
smily_headphones1.gif
25 buck for 12 tips is damn cheap.. original hakko iron tips. (the site listed only 10, but i got 12)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ay_Pr4_PcY_BIN

hakko-tips.jpg

they look a little big though :-/

Also - how often do you wear your tips out? I mean I've had my 936 for over a year and have yet to go through a tip - though I alternate between the 3 that I have... But I mean I use that iron ALOT - and none of the tips seem to be any worse for the wear.

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nleahcim
they look a little big though :-/

Also - how often do you wear your tips out? I mean I've had my 936 for over a year and have yet to go through a tip - though I alternate between the 3 that I have... But I mean I use that iron ALOT - and none of the tips seem to be any worse for the wear.

i haven't wear mine out, but i got my hakko a while back and lost the original tip because i was into RC hobby for a while and i need the small tips for this headphone diy project. are you kidding me? they're like pencil tip small. look here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back