Well, this sucks!
post-156448
Post #1 of 21

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I went to the doc last week because I haven't been feeling well lately and found out I have type 2 Diabetes.
Well, this just sucks! I now have to take medication twice a day and have to change my bad habits. No more greasy burgers, steaks, Vodka/tonics, beer, etc... It's day to day now, some days I feel good and some days I feel terrible. I just bought a 21 speed bike last weekend and have started riding it. Man I haven't done that in a while and my knees hurt like hell the first time I rode. Man, old age really blows!

post-156454
Post #2 of 21

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
Reaction score
I hope you feel better soon.

Build your exercise program slowly and before you know it you will be looking forward to working out. Changing eating habits is difficult. I have been trying to cut back on the junk and sweets as well. At home the only way I am truly successful is to not even have them in the house.

post-156458
Post #3 of 21

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
I went to the doc last week because I haven't been feeling well lately and found out I have type 2 Diabetes.
Well, this just sucks! I now have to take medication twice a day and have to change my bad habits. No more greasy burgers, steaks, Vodka/tonics, beer, etc... It's day to day now, some days I feel good and some days I feel terrible. I just bought a 21 speed bike last weekend and have started riding it. Man I haven't done that in a while and my knees hurt like hell the first time I rode. Man, old age really blows!

Sorry to hear about that. My Mom also has type 2 Diabetes, but she takes good care of herself and is doing very well. The key is to take your medication and watch your diet. It's hard to change those old habits; but being healthy and living longer is way more important. Get more into your music and headphone hobby, that will help a lot. Good Luck.

post-156460
Post #4 of 21

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
Reaction score
Quote:

Man, old age really blows!

My sentiments exactly. But I'm sure everything will work out......just take good care of yourself.

post-156462
Post #5 of 21

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
Reaction score
Sounds like you ain't gonna be able to return the lunch favor.sorry man.It's good that you have a treatble condition,It's bad that you have it at all.I'm sure you'll do what it takes to get yourself better.Good luck

post-156467
Post #6 of 21

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
Reaction score
Quote:

No more greasy burgers, steaks

Man, that does suck.

Quote:

Man, old age really blows!

Tell me about it. I was supposed to remind my kids of something this morning before I left on my trip....and I forgot what it was. Fortunately my kids remembered what it was I was supposed to remind them.

Take care of yourself Acid.

post-156478
Post #7 of 21

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
Reaction score
Sorry, man.

The music and bicycle will give you the drive to stick to your new program. (Bike: start gradually and make sure the saddle is properly adjusted to protect your knees--I suppose you already knew that....)

post-156501
Post #8 of 21

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Reaction score
acid

I'm sure what you're going through now is only an eventuality for me. You have my sincerest sympathies. Hopefully with some exercise you can get back closer to normal and have an occasional burger.

Sometimes I find myself in the "just run it into the ground" philosophy with the hope that I die before it all catches up with me. That didn't work out with my finances and relationships, though, so I know odds aren't so great of me getting a "get out of life early" card. I notice The Who doesn't play that song live anymore.

post-156531
Post #9 of 21

reynman

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
acid,

Sorry to hear about your medical condition. I think it was the Chinese food at 65 Restaurant that we had a few months ago that put you over the top.

Take the whole situation as a challenge to get healthier.

Best of luck!

Regards - reynman

post-156566
Post #10 of 21

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Sounds like you ain't gonna be able to return the lunch favor.

Tuberoller, we can still do lunch I just have to eat something healthy. You can have whatever you want of course.

Quote:

I think it was the Chinese food at 65 Restaurant that we had a few months ago that put you over the top.

Reynman, I think that did it. Well, no more Bar-B-Que pork for me.

Todays lunch: 6" Veggie Max sub from Subway
1 bag baked Lays potato chips
1/2 bottle of diet Snapple tea

post-156574
Post #11 of 21

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
1/2 bottle of diet Snapple tea

(Soapbox time, apologies one and all.)

Please, please, please don't do the neutrasweet thing. This is the equivalent of using Crack to help get you past your Nicotine addiction.

You can read about what other people think on the web, of course, I'm not alone in my opinion. Some say it even causes brain legions. More commonly reported are panic attacks, anxiety, food cravings, *reduced metabolism* and headaches. If I said some people said it caused tinnitus, would that get your attention?

Iced tea is fine. Leave the sweeteners out. You get used to that quicker than you think. Caffeine is fine drug. If you must have sodas, look for sodas that have alternative sweeteners -- these can be bought from health and import shops.

Ok, I'm sorry. This was a one time rant. I've seen other people start down the Neutrasweet path because of health issues and nothing good comes of it. I won't preach about it again but had to say something this once.

post-156576
Post #12 of 21

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I usually don't drink Snapple but I did today just because it was what Subway had. This is not a habit. I usually do the Health line of decaf teas from Arizona which uses real sugar I think but has fewer grams than other drinks.

post-156596
Post #13 of 21

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
Reaction score
Why would anyone put any kind of sweetener in iced tea? That's like pears in heavy syrup! yuk!!!
Natural is the way to go.

post-156609
Post #14 of 21

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your condition, Trip

My doctor seems to think all sweeteners are extremely bad for the body, diabetes or not -- that was his number one advice to me (I don't have diabetes and I'm not overweight). I now drink my coffee and tea without any sugar or cream at all. Makes me feel more man-ish too

post-156611
Post #15 of 21

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear that, acidtripwow!

I hope you will feel better soon.. And that you will find the strength to forget the bad days and live the good ones!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)