Well recorded acoustic albums
Jan 31, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #16 of 40
I've been grooving to the 2005 remasters of John Martyn's early 70's stuff, these are some of the finest remasters I've heard, just sublime. And the music is awesome, he's a woozy swooning cousin of Nick Drake (whom he cared for at his home for some time). Martyn is an amazing acoustic guitar player, and Danny Thompson, the great upright bass player is his musical accomplice. This is sort of folk-jazz, trance-y ambient with Martyn's trademark vocal style.

I recommend the 2000 remaster of Solid Air (his best album) or the 2005 remasters of Bless The Weather and Inside Out.

Or you could try Nick Drake's last two albums, Pink Moon and Bryter Layter, I recommend the recent 24-bit remasters.

Also I've been on a Janis Ian kick lately, check out her 1993 CD Breaking Silence. The original sounds great, but there is a hard-to-find remaster that's just that much better from around 2003 or 2004. There is also a remaster (that sounds great) of her classic Between The Lines. Check the Cooking Vinyl site for those remasters.

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #17 of 40
Thanks for a lot of good suggestions! I managed to get the Alice In Chains and Pat Metheny albums so far. I have Nirvana too, that's always a really good listen
580smile.gif

I'm going to search a bit more for the suggestions made by gratefulshrink, Davey, and markl. Thanks guys!

edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
I think most of Janh Fahey's solo acoustic guitar albums were well-recorded. But the music was so great, it almost doesn't matter.

Would you mind recommending one?

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #18 of 40
Ani DiFranco's last few albums are all acoustic and very well recorded, though of course the music ain't everyone's cup of tea. Evolve, Educated Guess and Knuckle Down.

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #19 of 40
If you're into studio acoustic music, then, of course, don't forget to listen to the ESSENTIAL Bob Dylan album, 'Freewheelin'. One of Dylan's best albums, and it's REALLY well-recorded (and my second pressing vinyl in particular sounds life-like!).

Feb 1, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
I think most of Janh Fahey's solo acoustic guitar albums were well-recorded. But the music was so great, it almost doesn't matter.

Fahey is great as grateful says. I'll let him give a rec, but I'll toss out some tangent stuff while I'm here, just for fun ...
smily_headphones1.gif

I know at least one person mentioned Leo Kottke, and his debut from 1969 is pretty special. 6 & 12 String Guitar - pretty much what the title suggests and still probably his best although he does have a lot of good stuff available. I really like Guitar Music too from 1981 which I only have on vinyl, and it does sound very good, but can't comment on the sound of the CD. Leo is kind of a Fahey disciple, although I think smoother and a little easier to appreciate, although that might not be true. Depends which Fahey and which Kottke period you listen to.

Jim O'Rourke has a really nice guitar with no vocals album called Bad Timing from a few years ago with 4 long compositions that is kind of a Fahey tribute but there are some electronic textures that give it a lot of body. If you want to get a little more adventurous along those lines and like the thought of middle eastern inspired surf music with Brian Eno-like electronic textures by a group of extremely talented musicians who also share an appreciation of John Fahey, I would highly recommend the Cul de Sac album Crashes To Light, Minutes To It's Fall from 1999. No vocals, but they are definitely plugged in. Pretty nice sounding HDCD too. They actually recorded an album with Fahey right before this one called The Epiphany Of Glenn Jones, but I've not heard it yet. Really interesting to read about the interaction - very trying times for the band working with him. Before that it was probably their best in China Gate, but I'm still partial to Crashes since it was my first intro.

And speaking of him, Jim O'Rourke + David Grubbs = Gastr del Sol. I've got two Gastr del Sol albums on Drag City vinyl and they're both pretty nice. Moving a little out of the purely acoustic realm now, but my favorite is the single LP Camofleur which sounds quite a bit like O'Rourke's own Eureka which followed a couple years later, but maybe with a little less of the Burt Bacharach influence. The 2-LP Upgrade & Afterlife has lots of good stuff too, and to pull this whole off topic blurb together, it includes an excellent Gastr-ized cover of John Fahey's "Dry Bones In the Valley" to close it out. Very nice. And the first LP of the set is cut at 45 rpm, but Camofleur is a little less weird with lots of excellent acoustic guitar, which is reminiscent of O'Rourke's Bad Timing LP I mentioned above.

Feb 1, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #21 of 40
Bruce Dunlap: About Home (on Chesky Records)

Amazing sound (as are all Chesky's).

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigga22
I've been on a big acoustic kick lately since I recently started playing the guitar. These are some of the albums I've been listening to (some repeated mentions):

MTV Unplugged series:
Alice in Chains-Unplugged (GREAT album)
Neil Young-Unplugged (classic)
Nirvana-Unplugged (who hasn't heard how great this is?)

Jackson Browne-Solo Acoustic, Vol. 1 (2005 release, excellent quality)

I agree with these choices. BTW Jackson Browne's album is superb, a stripped bare acoustic performance of the highest quality.

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 40
Ok, I got ahold of Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night. This album is spectacular! It's incredibly relaxing...a perfect album to put on when I'm doing some school work or when I just want something coming out of my 650's when they are laying on my desk.

I think Nightfall was the first to recommend this. Nice call!

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Thanks for a lot of good suggestions! I managed to get the Alice In Chains and Pat Metheny albums so far. I have Nirvana too, that's always a really good listen
580smile.gif

I'm going to search a bit more for the suggestions made by gratefulshrink, Davey, and markl. Thanks guys!

edit:

Fahey....

An earlier album, with concise tunes: The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death

A few years later, with some more extended songs: America

A work from his later period: God, Time & Casuality

These are three of my favorites.

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #25 of 40
I also forgot to mention these two artists (not sure if anyone else mentioned them yet):

Roy Harper ( try "Stormcock" not exclusivley acoustic, but considered his best album)

Bert Jansch

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #27 of 40
I'll also chime in for Pat Metheny's 'One Quiet Night'. It's wonderful music for concentrating on your work. My only complaint is that the noise floor is kind of apparent in the background. Has anyone else noticed this? I know I'm probably being a little too picky here, but it is the only thing reminding me that I'm listening to a recording
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #28 of 40
A lot of Mark Knopfler's solo albums are mainly acoustic with excellent playing and superb sound quality - Golden Heart (my particular fav with a heavy Irish influence) ~ Sailing To Philidelphia ~ Ragpickers Dream are all HDCD's and his last album Shangri La is a hybrid SACD again with great SQ (including a decent surround mix - if that's not heresy
very_evil_smiley.gif
)
Thanks for the ones mentioned above some of which I will be checking out ... Paul
eggosmile.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Here are a few HIGHLY recommended offerings:

Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live - sounds amazing, great performances
Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night - incredible acoustic guitar and sonics
Will Ackerman - Returning - beautifully recorded acoustic guitar pieces

JC

Nightfall - Just got the Nils Lofgren one you recommended & you were right!
Will check out the Pat Metheny one next
very_evil_smiley.gif

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back