Well recorded acoustic albums
Jan 31, 2006 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been listening to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album for the past few days, and can't get over 1) how well recorded the music is, and 2) how damn good of a CD it is!

So, does anyone have some good recommendations for good acoustic music? The only other album I can think of is Dave Matthews Band - "Live At Luther College".

Jan 31, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 40
Coryell/Khan - Two for the Road

A beautiful, well-done acoustic guitar duet. A collection of a string of performances while on tour. HIGHLY recommended.

The latter half of the name is of Steve Khan, the fusion guitarist. If you're a fan of his work, you'll be right at home here.

Jan 31, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I've been listening to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album for the past few days, and can't get over 1) how well recorded the music is, and 2) how damn good of a CD it is!

Time to grab Alice in Chains - Unplugged which I like more than Clapton Unplugged

Jan 31, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Time to grab Alice in Chains - Unplugged which I like more than Clapton Unplugged

Oh wow I never knew they had an Unplugged album out. I'm definately going to check into that!

Jan 31, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 40
^^ what he said ^^
Also Grateful Dead-Reckoning
James Taylor-Live (not all acoustic)
Neil Young-Live Rust (not all acoustic)
Pearl Jam-Unplugged

Jan 31, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 40
Jan 31, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 40
Here are a few HIGHLY recommended offerings:

Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live - sounds amazing, great performances

Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night - incredible acoustic guitar and sonics

Will Ackerman - Returning - beautifully recorded acoustic guitar pieces

JC

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 40
I've been on a big acoustic kick lately since I recently started playing the guitar. These are some of the albums I've been listening to (some repeated mentions):

MTV Unplugged series:
Alice in Chains-Unplugged (GREAT album)
Neil Young-Unplugged (classic)
Nirvana-Unplugged (who hasn't heard how great this is?)

Jackson Browne-Solo Acoustic, Vol. 1 (2005 release, excellent quality)

Alanis Morissette-Jagged Little Pill Acoustic (10th anniversary redo of her first album, some interesting new arrangements)

For some indie stuff, look at Iron & Wine (great fingerpicking) and Devandra Barnhardt.

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
So, does anyone have some good recommendations for good acoustic music?

I think most of Janh Fahey's solo acoustic guitar albums were well-recorded. But the music was so great, it almost doesn't matter.
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 40
The Jerry Garcia and Dave Grisman series of albums are very good. Particularly the first one: Jerry Garcia/David Grisman.

"Doc and Dawg", Doc Watson and David Grisman is also amazing.

For something more raw, Chris Whitley's "Dirt Floor" and "Weed" are powerful acoustic albums.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 40
Leo Kottke. "One Guitar, No Vocals" is a favorite.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 40
Yeah, there's a million of em in all genres, but one of my favorites is Tony Furtado "Roll My Blues Away", an acoustic blues and blue-grass combination with stellar string picking by all the players, and a great sounding album too. A little more than just banjo and slide guitar, but not too much. Kelly Joe Phelps also plays guitar and lends vocals to a few songs and does a very good job. Some great progressive bluegrass, to be sure.

Amazon.com
On Roll My Blues Away, Tony Furtado combines his bluegrass banjo past and his slide-guitar blues future with a haunting, spare elegance that marks this as a superior acoustic-instrumental. Like Fleck and Cooder, Furtado has learned that the liberation of acoustic music lies not in playing more notes faster but in playing fewer notes with more feeling. On this album's 10 original instrumentals and two traditional songs, the arrangements are stripped down to focus on the strong melodies. His guitar sounds weary but content on the lovely Tex-Mex ballad, "Song for Early"; his banjo evokes the prickly dissatisfaction of the slow blues, "Willow Tree"; he plays both guitar and banjo on the nervous, restless tune, "The Stark Raven." --Geoffrey Himes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back