well, add me to the list. koss = bliss
Mar 28, 2006 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

quoteunquote

100+ Head-Fier
recently bought a portable setup from Jahn here on the forums. the blue portapro drivers on the 75 clips.

75.jpg

also, included an evilfire black penguin cmoy. been listening all day and wow. my mouth is wide open. the bass is great. all around just really good sounding setup. have it running out of my soundcard's lineout. need a better mini to mini though. have a ratshack one at the moment and it crackles if it's moved at all. but besides that..sounds wonderful.

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 26
thanks, i think they look pretty neat myself.

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 26
SEE 1911? What you're missing? Those coulda been YOURS!
evil_smiley.gif

Ah, sweet revenge. Keep talking that rig up, so he can taste bitter despair at what could have been!

BTW, there is a crazy mini to mini cable selloff going on right now in the sale forums, i saw a cheap black dragon and blackdiamond and other good ones there, check it out!

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 26
Congrats on joining the Koss revolution! If you find that the highs and mids are a little veiled or congested try cutting a quarter sized hole in the pad (or better yet, get a pair of RS pads and mod them). On the KSC75's this mod can make them a little bright. But on the KSC35 drivers (same as the Portapro drivers) I think it opens up the sound just enough.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by quoteunquote
recently bought a portable setup from Jahn here on the forums. the blue portapro drivers on the 75 clips.

How come... do you dislike the KSC-75 drivers or something?

Edit -- or is that just the way they came when you bought 'em?

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 26
I sold em to him like that, my evil genius cans - the portapro drivers can be a bit bass heavy, but putting on the ksc-75 clips remove the driver from the ears more than the portapro band or ksc-35 does, so it evens it out. in fact, imho, no foam mod needed the way i tweaked it for him, but his ears might feel differently!

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I sold em to him like that, my evil genius cans - the portapro drivers can be a bit bass heavy, but putting on the ksc-75 clips remove the driver from the ears more than the portapro band or ksc-35 does, so it evens it out. in fact, imho, no foam mod needed the way i tweaked it for him, but his ears might feel differently!

How did you tweak them?

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #10 of 26
I'm with fewtch - seems like a roundabout way to get to the same place where the KSC75's have already arrived. The blue looks cool, but that could still be done a lot simpler with some paint. :wink:

quoteunquote,
I agree that the KSC75's definitely benefit with a CMoy, although they are still great-sounding without. You didn't say what soundcard you were using with lineout. If it's of the Soundblaster vintage, there is an easy upgrade that will knock your socks off with the difference. A lot of forum experts say it's the single-best source improvement at the price: a USB M-Audio Transit. $79 at most places.

I had been using a common Soundblaster Live! with the Cmoy/KSC75 setup, and there was a noticeable loss in dynamics compared to a CD player. The M-Audio's quality is indistinguishable from the best quality CD player, though it may actually be better with mp3's. The music opens up with much greater dynamics, impact, and transient response.

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
How did you tweak them?

oh, just putting the ksc-75 clips on there. i find the portapro band actually makes every 60 ohm driver a bit bass-heavy, which is fine for the bass-light ksc-75 driver, but maybe laying it on a bit thick for the stock portapro driver.

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero
Well why not just switch the "comfort zone" on "light"? The drivers bearly touch your ears like that.

That's actually how I have them on too, even with the KSC-75 drivers on here for now, but it's still bassier than the KSC-75 clips. It makes for interesting switcheroos - it was fun having them all in one place and making mount comparos!

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
That's actually how I have them on too, even with the KSC-75 drivers on here for now, but it's still bassier than the KSC-75 clips. It makes for interesting switcheroos - it was fun having them all in one place and making mount comparos!

lemme just tell you, you have not heard Bassy untill you've heard the portaPro on its firmest setting out of my IMP-90 flash player, on the Rock setting. It's just
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back