well, add me to the list. koss = bliss
Mar 28, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
lemme just tell you, you have not heard Bassy untill you've heard the portaPro on its firmest setting out of my IMP-90 flash player, on the Rock setting. It's just
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

haha yeah! something about the portapro headband on firm, with the old school non-titanium drivers, packs a huge punch!

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #17 of 26
never owned a portapro or ksc75 or 35. this is my first venture into the 60ohm koss'. and for my dollar, they sound wonderful.

as for my soundcard..i'm using the one that came stock with my dell..soundmax or something er other. but i have an emu0404 that just came into today. be making the change very soon.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
haha yeah! something about the portapro headband on firm, with the old school non-titanium drivers, packs a huge punch!

QFT... closest I've ever come to actually strapping a subwoofer to my head
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by quoteunquote
never owned a portapro or ksc75 or 35. this is my first venture into the 60ohm koss'. and for my dollar, they sound wonderful.

as for my soundcard..i'm using the one that came stock with my dell..soundmax or something er other. but i have an emu0404 that just came into today. be making the change very soon.

cool, i have a $25 magwires cable that goes stereo RCAs to mini - i got some rat shack mono RCA to 1/4 adapters, stuck them on my cable, plugged it into the 1/4 analog outs of the 0404, and that was good enough for the cmoy! don't forget, the 0404 has no headphone out - only a line out, so it's a good thing you have that cmoy!

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #20 of 26
i'm gonna be a downer and say: worst of both worlds
frown.gif
uncomfortable clips with inferior ugly portapro drivers........just to be honest.....but yes koss is great. i've had portapro and ksc75 and preffered the ksc

i imagine jahn that you are using the portapro band and 75 drivers on your own phones? yes? no?

hope you didn't pay more than $15 shipped, at least for the phones alone

do you like the blue? the color's OK, but it's just so angled and not smooth like the 75's or 35's. i'm not sure why to buy this rather than ksc35

ok........sorry, thumbs down for me

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i'm gonna be a downer and say: worst of both worlds
frown.gif
uncomfortable clips with inferior ugly portapro drivers........just to be honest.....but yes koss is great. i've had portapro and ksc75 and preffered the ksc

i imagine jahn that you are using the portapro band and 75 drivers on your own phones? yes? no?

hope you didn't pay more than $15 shipped, at least for the phones alone

do you like the blue? the color's OK, but it's just so angled and not smooth like the 75's or 35's. i'm not sure why to buy this rather than ksc35

ok........sorry, thumbs down for me

Wow what a debbie downer! Don't knock it 'till you tried it - have you ever popped your drivers out of the PP and put them on the KSC-75? If not try it if you ever have that combo again in the future, you might be surprised. So far the two folks who have kinda dig it
icon10.gif
So I hope you aren't implying that folks should judge before hearing the cans they are criticizing?

As for what I used the Portapro band for, uh...
BurnBlack.JPG

So I hope you aren't implying that I kept the best bits to walk around with - I consider the recabled KSC-35s the best bit and I paid a pretty penny for it too!

And btw the rig I sold him was the Evilfire Cmoy with those cans, and the total cost was considerably cheaper than the Evilfire new, even including S&H and paypal fees, so I hope you're not implying that he got a bad deal.

As for looks, the thin profile of the PP driver actually lets the cans swivel a bit more on the ksc-75 clip than the beefier ksc-75 driver housing, so it conforms nicely to any ear - and those clips are adjustable for comfort or for distance to the ear as you know. The blue cans aren't just for looks! And yes these cans were cheaper than even used KSC-35 will probably ever be. Just for my personal opinion, I like the black look too tho.
tongue.gif

So unless those two thumbs are stuck in an upside down cake, I'll have to respectfully disagree that 1911's portable rig (including the cans) are anywhere near suckage, thankee very much!
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #22 of 26
IMO the difference between the Portapro/KSC-35 and KSC-75 drivers is exaggerated around here. Both have boosted bass, both are somewhat grainy in the treble. One is slightly more tipped toward treble, the other more toward bass. I honestly don't hear some huge difference between the two, but maybe I'm not being nitpicky enough.

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
IMO the difference between the Portapro/KSC-35 and KSC-75 drivers is exaggerated around here. Both have boosted bass, both are somewhat grainy in the treble. One is slightly more tipped toward treble, the other more toward bass. I honestly don't hear some huge difference between the two, but maybe I'm not being nitpicky enough.

You're right, there isn't a huge difference. I mean, after all, they are the same driver, just that one is made of titanium. But regardless of how subtle the difference is, it is still a difference. And even the slightest difference is enough to sway opinion one way or another. Especially when you figure how scalable these drivers are. So, not only do they sound slightly different, but with varying sources, amps and accessories (ie - 75 ohm adapter), there are a multitude of sound qualities that can be produced. Ain't diversity grand?
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
You're right, there isn't a huge difference. I mean, after all, they are the same driver, just that one is made of titanium. But regardless of how subtle the difference is, it is still a difference. And even the slightest difference is enough to sway opinion one way or another. Especially when you figure how scalable these drivers are. So, not only do they sound slightly different, but with varying sources, amps and accessories (ie - 75 ohm adapter), there are a multitude of sound qualities that can be produced. Ain't diversity grand?
icon10.gif

IMHO the KSC75 is brighter and more airy sounding... almost piercing. The KSC35 driver is warmer sounding.... to my ears and slightly less aggressive.

Although their overall signature is very similar... Its about a 10% difference.

IMHO of course.
Garrett

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO the KSC75 is brighter and more airy sounding... almost piercing. The KSC35 driver is warmer sounding.... to my ears and slightly less aggressive.

Although their overall signature is very similar... Its about a 10% difference.

IMHO of course.
Garrett

This is why I put the KSC75 drivers on my PP headband. Although I bend the headband open to get a looser fit, this combo sounds best to me!
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #26 of 26
Baycode says: Stay with the ksc-35.

I own both. My impressions:
35 vs 75 (both unmodded)

KSC-35 Lighter
KSC-75 Heavier

KSC-35 Looks like a headphone
KSC-75 Looks like a toy

KSC-35 Better controlled bass
KSC-75 Bass is a little bit uncontrolled

KSC-35 Highs are very little bit recessed
KSC-75 Better presentaition in highs

KSC-35 Better 3d feeling
KSC-75 Less 3d feeling

KSC-35 Earpeace not bendable (you may mod)*
KSC-75 Bendable earpeace

KSC-35 Stays very flat and close to your ear, fits great after earclip mod
KSC-75 Stays a bit away from the ear, I don't like the fit even after hours of bending and retrying the earclips

KSC-35 Presents some cable microphonics
KSC-75 Presents less cable microphonics

KSC-35 Ear foams are thinner but better
KSC-75 Ear foams are thicker but tends to collect hair inside

These headphones are near identical in terms of sound quality but there are slight differences. Finally for my opinion KSC-35 is a better buy.
*=Detach the earhook from the headphone and bend the plastic after heating with a hot air gun or hair dryer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back