Welcome to the Meelectronics M11 and R1
Oct 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #76 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmethatbeatfool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've put in a couple of hours into them, and while I've never heard the RE2s, these are very enjoyable. Definitely geared toward bassheads and less on the analytical side, nonetheless they are really fun to listen to. Plus they are beautiful!

If you eq the bass down a tad, it becomes very smooth and has more punch.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #79 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here's the real question...

how many weeks would you hold onto one before you put it fs? or is it a keeper?

If i myself owning multiple custom monitors, and sub $400 IEM's and still consider keeping the inferior M9. Then these are definitely worth keeping

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #80 of 105
to the people who've already given initial impressions thanks!

if any thoughts or comparisons directly against the AI-M6 could be made, that would be great! i'm still on the fence between the R1 and the beautiful clear AI-M6.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #82 of 105
Lots of info on the M1 ... anybody got any news on the M11?

My im716's just died and need replacing, so I'm feeling impatient!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #83 of 105
I am in possession of the M11 today. I am using the stock bi-flange tips. They have near 100 hours on them.

They really are beautifully built. Quite robust feeling and the cable is sturdy, light, and less microphonic. They very small and fit well. Over the ear or normal both easily achieved. The small size should fit more people. They isolate a bit more than other phones. Capable of a notch below Ety and Shure isolation. Quite a step up on the fit and finish.

I can say that they are quite detailed and have great clarity and good transparency. They remind me of the RE0 with more bass. Not as open/separated or quite as transparent though. Probably a bit less detail. This is only from memory.

What they do wrong is the image is small. Great tracking, good positioning and placement, nice depth but they don't have the soundstage of the M9. The PL21 with Jays silicone have the soundstage size similar to the Denon C710 and really sound almost huge in comparison. The M11 are not really upfront either. With some tips, the M11 can sound distant. Distant and with a small soundstage can be weird sounding. Similar to cranking your stereo but stepping into the next room. This pic seems to show the problem...
P1010008-3.jpg

The driver seems to me to be too far away and coming through an opening a bit too small.

I think the PL21 has more transparency than the C710 and M9. The M11 tops them and they can sound very natural. But unless they somehow open up a bunch with more burn in, they are a small sounding earphone. Maybe it is only this pair. Would be nice cause it is a deal breaker for those who want a nice size soundstage. It really is below average.

Feel free to ask me any particular questions about them!

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #84 of 105
How does it compare to the pl50, re2, ne7m (if you have any of those)? Also, what tips do they come with and are they better than those that come with the m9? More pics too.

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #85 of 105
If you read the rest of the thread there are more pics, including one with the all the tips. It comes with S,M,L, bi-flange, tri-flange tips. The tips are essentially the same except they are clear colored and the tri-flange is pretty much useless.

Again, unless these are a bad pair, all three(PL50, NE6/7, RE2) will easily beat these in soundstage with stock tips. The SQ otherwise will be on par with those. These are very neutral like the PL50 but not as mid-forward, they are somewhat RE2 like in sound but have less rolled-off bass and more bass impact. They are not going to be as bassy as the Nuforce but thinner sounding with more transparency.

Compared to the M9, they are an ever so slight improvement. I would say about 10% SQ increase at most. This is when using either the Head-direct big bi-flanges or Shure clearflex(these give a larger soundstage, almost equal to the M9 soundstage). With these tips the soundstage is passable to me. Very similar in sound to the M9(with SF 5 tips) with a bit tighter bass and more detail and more transparent.

The M11 seem to be quite tip dependent and can range anywhere from very small and bright to larger and slightly warmer and darker. More difference/change with tips than most other phones exhibit. Almost tunable!

Eager to hear others impressions. This pair is quite nice sounding overall so I don't think anything is wrong with them. Maybe the small driver needs more hours to finish burn-in. When I did try them the first time the M9 were flat out better in comparison. Both the PL21 and the M11 came from sounding worse than the M9 to passing them up.

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #86 of 105
Anyone has info. on the wooden R1's?

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #87 of 105
Received the M11's today. Out of the box, I'm very disappointed. They are very muddy. Treble is indistinct and recessed. The bass is heavy handed. I'm letting them burn in ... hopefully it helps.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #88 of 105
hmm interesting, seems like the m11 isn't quite the bang for the buck that the m9/m6 are. maybe it has something to do with the smaller drivers?

really curious how the 10mm drivers in the r1 are though...

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #89 of 105
Just got my hands on an R1 (along with the MiniMee dap), courtesy of the fine folks at Meelec.

They are definitely warmer than the M11 and seem to have more bass at this time. Out of the box I can only say that they need some burn-in
wink.gif

What I really do like is the cable. I thought the cables on the M11 and new Ai-M6 were nice, but this is just gorgeous. It isn't striped like the M11 cable, but rather a solid dark gray color - really completes the (already excellent) looks of this earphone, IMO. It's also a good 6" shorter, which for me is a plus. The low-profile angled plug is awesome too - the hockey-stick shaped strain relief on the M11 can get in the way and the straight plug on my old Ai-M6 is just outclassed completely.

Basically, it's exactly as good-looking as it appears in the photos. As for the sound, time will tell.

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #90 of 105
nice! anxiously looking forward to your impressions and comparisons.

i might just have to pick up the entire Meelec line, which is entirely possible because they're pretty affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back