Weiss Engineering DAC50x (DAC501 and DAC502) Review
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #331 of 384
Just wondering if any of you Weiss users find you make good use of the DSP facilities available?

Daniel Weiss talks quite positively about them, but the reviewers are virtually silent.

I'm thinking of significant, permanent adjustments such as the Room Equaliser, rather than occasional tweaks.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #333 of 384
Just wondering if any of you Weiss users find you make good use of the DSP facilities available?

Daniel Weiss talks quite positively about them, but the reviewers are virtually silent.

I'm thinking of significant, permanent adjustments such as the Room Equaliser, rather than occasional tweaks.
Definitely. I like to a a touch of bass to the OG Utopia. I love having these DSP features available in the digital realm. DACs that offer DSP will become more and more common. Happy to have been living with it now for a year and a half.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #334 of 384
Spent a long session today comparing the Weiss Helios to the Bartok Apex. It was a head-to-head struggle, with one DAC besting the other on some tracks and vice-versa. It is amazing that two similarly priced and specc'd devices still can be voiced so differently.

And easy to see why some would prefer one device over the other. The Bartok has a fuller/richer/rounder sound whereas the Helios is more resolving, refined and detailed. It really does depend on what kind of listening you like to do.

In the end, for my tastes and my listening material, I opted for the Helios, largely because the higher resolution conveyed more in terms of instrumental and vocal character, captured more about the expressiveness of the performer and the tiny nuances in performance, and reproduced more of the hall ambience and reverberation, all of which made the music more emotionally engaging.

I also thought the Helios created a more convincing sound stage, with rock-solid and stable placement. (Recording dependent, of course.) The Helios was rhythmically better. We were all toe-tapping and humming along to many of the livelier tracks.

And "listenability". The final test for me, and a reflection on the day's work, is that with the Helios I repeatedly caught myself wanting to keep listening to the remainder of the current piece rather than move on to the next test track. I became absorbed in the music each time, wanting to hear how the music would develop.

Test tracks were a mix of pop vocal, jazz, orchestral, chamber, choral and operatic. The tests were in my home system, with each device directly driving ATC SCM50ASL active loudspeakers.

So, subject to final negotiations and product availability, the Helios will be my next DAC for the foreseeable future. I expect my MScaler, Chord TT2, dCS Network Bridge and associated Wave Storm cables will be appearing in the For-Sale listings shortly. Thanks to everyone for the advice posted here.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #335 of 384
Spent a long session today comparing the Weiss Helios to the Bartok Apex. It was a head-to-head struggle, with one DAC besting the other on some tracks and vice-versa. It is amazing that two similarly priced and specc'd devices still can be voiced so differently.

And easy to see why some would prefer one device over the other. The Bartok has a fuller/richer/rounder sound whereas the Helios is more resolving, refined and detailed. It really does depend on what kind of listening you like to do.

In the end, for my tastes and my listening material, I opted for the Helios, largely because the higher resolution conveyed more in terms of instrumental and vocal character, captured more about the expressiveness of the performer and the tiny nuances in performance, and reproduced more of the hall ambience and reverberation, all of which made the music more emotionally engaging.

I also thought the Helios created a more convincing sound stage, with rock-solid and stable placement. (Recording dependent, of course.) The Helios was rhythmically better. We were all toe-tapping and humming along to many of the livelier tracks.

And "listenability". The final test for me, and a reflection on the day's work, is that with the Helios I repeatedly caught myself wanting to keep listening to the remainder of the current piece rather than move on to the next test track. I became absorbed in the music each time, wanting to hear how the music would develop.

Test tracks were a mix of pop vocal, jazz, orchestral, chamber, choral and operatic. The tests were in my home system, with each device directly driving ATC SCM50ASL active loudspeakers.

So, subject to final negotiations and product availability, the Helios will be my next DAC for the foreseeable future. I expect my MScaler, Chord TT2, dCS Network Bridge and associated Wave Storm cables will be appearing in the For-Sale listings shortly. Thanks to everyone for the advice posted here.

Congratulations. You're journey has been fun and interesting to watch as you have been choosing a new DAC. You seem to have kept and open-mind and were fairly methodical in your testing.

Please share when you get in your new Helios and have gotten it set-up.

Cheers!

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #336 of 384
Hard to find in Canada, pity

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #337 of 384
Hard to find in Canada, pity

I find that hard to believe. The official Weiss Engineering distributor in North America is Bluebird Music. They are located in Toronto, Canada.

I'd reach out to them and surely they can direct you to a get an audition in Canada.

https://www.bluebirdmusic.com/

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #338 of 384
I find that hard to believe. The official Weiss Engineering distributor in North America is Bluebird Music. They are located in Toronto, Canada.

I'd reach out to them and surely they can direct you to a get an audition in Canada.

https://www.bluebirdmusic.com/
I know bluebird, it means squat unless it’s placed and promoted at retail. Checked all my high end retail coast to coast, nada. Course there’s many options to carry in the 8-50 g range, and Weiss isn’t it, yet.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #339 of 384
I know bluebird, it means squat unless it’s placed and promoted at retail. Checked all my high end retail coast to coast, nada. Course there’s many options to carry in the 8-50 g range, and Weiss isn’t it, yet.
Yes, that's true. I do know of someone who got a audition on a Weiss unit from Bluebird directly. I realize that under contractual obligations 99% of distributors are unable to make a retail sale. In this case, Bluebird provided a demo unit for a week or two and then arranged a retail sale with a shop in the network.

My demo of the original Weiss DAC502 was thru a out of state retailer here in the USA. I provided a credit card that was authorized for the full amount if I damaged or didn't return the unit. The retailer paid shipping from them to me. I paid for the return. An excellent experience.

As it turned out I ended up with a DAC501-4CH and was able to purchase directly from Weiss Engineering as I was in Switzerland at the same time I was ready to buy. But if that trip had never happened I definitely would have purchased through the shop that arranged the demo. As a matter if fact it was so easy that I do hope to do business with them again if/when the need arises.

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #340 of 384
So many dacs I’d like to test as such, if I needed one. Well maybe my TT breaks, you never know.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #341 of 384
Thanks Robert. To your earlier posts about power supply, the demonstrator had a Shunyata power cord, entry-level I think, which made a convincing difference to both devices! So I am already in deeper for that and possibly other additions, like better XLR cables. - Robert

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #342 of 384
So many dacs I’d like to test as such, if I needed one. Well maybe my TT breaks, you never know.
I always enjoyed the TT as in the 'sweet spot' of the original Chord Electronics range. I upgraded to a TT2 and M-Scaler combo which was better in many respects but brought its own new problems with it. If you do move on from the TT I would urge you to consider the Weiss 501 as the better upgrade path. It's about the same price as the M/TT2 combo.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #343 of 384
There’s a streamer in this dac? I got a server, a good one. Just looking for a pure dac with xlr. TT isn’t balanced but has xlr out, balanced dac would be nice but se conversion is fine.

Oh found a retail in Toronto I wasn’t familiar with that carry’s Weiss

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #344 of 384
Yes, the 501 (and the Helios) are one-box solutions: Ethernet in, beautiful music out.

I use Roon on iMac as a streamer, via ethernet to the Weiss, and manage my library using Roon, although there are other apps that work similarly.

Good luck in Toronto. Beautiful city by the way!

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #345 of 384
I use usb in. Just asking as “one box” solutions are the thing now. I have an excellent roon core server that uses usb. Do I need an internal streamer/ upscaler or don’t I want a simple da converter like tt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back