Weiss Engineering DAC50x (DAC501 and DAC502) Review
Sep 12, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #286 of 404
I don't think I did a true ABX test, since that would require setting two references then getting a random input and deciding which reference it matched. This was more like an eye test where you switch lenses and decide which works best for you.

I like setting up tests like this because it challenges my preconceptions of what gear should sound like and what is truly good value. Too many audio reviews are flowery prose and fancy photography with imperfect comparisons. No device is ever deemed categorically better than another unless they are in completely different price brackets. If a unit has some weaknesses, it's chalked up to system synergy, which does have some merit, but is often used as an excuse to stop delving deeper.

Ultimately, I want equipment that sounds good in my systems. If I get something new, I owe it to myself to check it against what I already have and see how they compare. If I don't like it as much, I don't have a reason to keep it.

I didn't intend to have three of these DACs. I had a base 501 in my home office setup and was thinking about upgrading it to the 4-channel version. I saw a 4-channel for sale at an attractive price (the price difference from a base 501 was less than what the cost of the upgrade would be) and got it. At the same time, I was getting my bedroom system set up (I already had the amp and speakers from a prior setup), so I could use another DAC and streamer for that location.

After listening to them, I was interested in the Helios because I liked the Weiss sound, the Helios was just released, and Weiss has a habit of supporting their products for a long time. The fact that it is so new that there are basically no reviews for it made it a bit more of a risk, but given my experience with the other Weiss products, that risk was small. Given its performance, I am comfortable keeping it. I think the 501 4-channel is a better value, though.

I may revisit this comparison in another month or two after the Helios gets more time on it to see if my conclusions hold.

Oct 3, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #288 of 404
So, in other words a glowing review from asr if you ignore his criticism on the build and price.

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #289 of 404

Very interesting.

So, in other words a glowing review from asr if you ignore his criticism on the build and price.

Actually, no. What you describe is what I would have hoped for, given that I believe Weiss has said they focus on excellent measurements.

Instead, the ASR review reports decent but not exceptional technical performance, along with a couple of what they say are bugs/QC issues.

This extends also to the built-in headphone output. For example, they find that it falls short when driving a Dan Clark. I've read on this thread as well, reports that demanding headphones will require an external amp. Thankfully I use a Utopia 2022, which is very easy to drive.

And of course, they hate the build & price, but that was expected. Personally, I'm okay with those.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #290 of 404
Very interesting.

Actually, no. What you describe is what I would have hoped for, given that I believe Weiss has said they focus on excellent measurements.

Instead, the ASR review reports decent but not exceptional technical performance, along with a couple of what they say are bugs/QC issues.

This extends also to the built-in headphone output. For example, they find that it falls short when driving a Dan Clark. I've read on this thread as well, reports that demanding headphones will require an external amp. Thankfully I use a Utopia 2022, which is very easy to drive.

And of course, they hate the build & price, but that was expected. Personally, I'm okay with those.
The basic AP panel looks good to me. ASR doesn’t measure beyond basic standard panel which is really used to make sure manufacturer didn’t f up their design. The next and possibly just as important (/s) would be how the dac actually sounds in different systems, which asr doesn’t test.

okay the linearity test looks a bit funny but we are talking about raising noise floor by 1db from not audible to still not audible. 😂

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #292 of 404
Im here. And I'm listening to my Weiss DAC501-4Ch, MKII feeding into Cayin HA-300B MKII with Elrog ER300B-Mo, into OG Focal Utopia with Norne Audio Drausk Lite headphone cable. Power conditioner is Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6 with a Shunyata Delta XC power cord from the wall into the Hydra. Power cord from D6 to Cayin is Cardas clear power. XLR from Weiss to Cayin HA-300B MKII is Cardas clear cygnus.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #293 of 404
Im here. And I'm listening to my Weiss DAC501-4Ch, MKII feeding into Cayin HA-300B MKII with Elrog ER300B-Mo, into OG Focal Utopia with Norne Audio Drausk Lite headphone cable. Power conditioner is Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6 with a Shunyata Delta XC power cord from the wall into the Hydra. Power cord from D6 to Cayin is Cardas clear power. XLR from Weiss to Cayin HA-300B MKII is Cardas clear cygnus.

@RobertSM: How is your HA-300B working out for you? I've been mulling over getting a TOTL tube amp for my 501-4ch for a while now, also for the Utopia (but the 2022 version).

Can I ask what made you choose the HA-300B over various other alternatives? I've heard good things about the LTA MZ3 in the same price bracket, but within my $10k budget there's also the Woo WA23 & 33, DNA Stellaris, Eddie Current Studio, and Feliks Envy & Auris Nirvana. Maybe others.

Do you find the HA-300B to change the sound signature of the 501? Like you, I love the sound of the 501 (as experienced through the built-in SS amp), and just want tubes to add some scale and stage without taking anything away or changing the tonality.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #295 of 404
Sorry Chesebert, but these products not only measure bad, but also looks EXTREMELY ugly.
You get better look stuff even at 500 bucks. I wont pay 1 grand for this.
lol. Did someone hack your account?

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #296 of 404
Lately my Weiss device gets disconnected just out of the blue (time intervals vary between some minutes and some hours)
My Weiss DSP501 is connected via USB to a Windows 11 Desktop. I am using the Weiss Audio device driver v5.62.
This happens with Roon as well as with foobar2000. No matter if I use "DAC50x WASAPI exclusive mode" or "ASIO Weiss Audio Device".
Restarting the Desktop always helps/reconnects the DSP501.
When I instead connect an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt DAC to the same USB port, I have no issue at all.
Anyone else experiences this with either a Weiss DAC50x or DSP50x (both use the same Weiss USB driver) connected to a Windows PC?

Nov 13, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #297 of 404
Doubling up down my love for this DAC. I own the MKII version but I did audition the MKI, had it in house for a week or two.

This is where it's at in my world. If you can't wrap your head around the price, too bad. This isn't the best DAC I've heard. But that best one I've head is 50k+.

Loving this, HARD!!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #298 of 404
Doubling up down my love for this DAC. I own the MKII version but I did audition the MKI, had it in house for a week or two.

This is where it's at in my world. If you can't wrap your head around the price, too bad. This isn't the best DAC I've heard. But that best one I've head is 50k+.

Loving this, HARD!!
May I ask what the 50K+ DAC is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back