weirdest $#!+ you ever heard that was actually listenable
Jul 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

arteom

1000+ Head-Fier
List one or two albums that are really out there but somewhat still digestable. Write some brief words about the albums if you like.

Tucker Martine - Broken Hearted Dragonflies

This is a field recording of dragonflies mating in Burma. The story is that these dragonflies make this really strange high pitched ringing sound to attract a mate, their chests explode if a mate is not attracted. I've heard my fair share of weird electronic music, strange synthesized sounds. This recording has not been processed only "arranged". As alien as the sounds might be the creatures that make them are from our own planet, looking for a mate as we all are. There is something quite romantic about them screaming to find a mate until their chest gives out from their own screams.

It's quite a surreal experience listening to this album, highly recommended.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 9
Wow, cool. You should note that that is only a legend about the dragonflies. They don't actually do that!

I have heard quite a few insect recordings and, as a field recordist, have even made some rather poor attempts myself. Just yesterday I took this photo, so you know I like dragonflies.

I could very well contribute some of my own albums to this thread, but will forgo ego. :)

Instead, I submit the Thai Elephant Orchestra album "Elephonic Rhapsodies". Yes, actual elephants play actual instruments, generally sounding like a rather broken gamelan.

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 9
Simply listening to the sounds of nature is a beautiful thing. I don't have anything that's just unchanged recordings of nature, but guys like Marcus Fischer, Loscil, Christopher Bissonnette, and Federico Durand are based off of field recordings and textures and it's great. Now, those recordings are definitely manipulated with electronics, but still fascinating. 

I'd check out your stuff rparmar. Post if you want. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Well, it's nice of you to ask about my own work.

I have two albums available on BandCamp in their entirety. Which tracks one finds strange will vary with your tolerance to different sounds! On "The Drones" track 3, "Roadworks", is an untouched field recording... although most listeners think it is the result of careful composition. All of the composition occurred in situ through how I held the microphones relative to my body and moved about the space to mix and filter the evolving sounds.

There are likely far more unusual sounds on Device for the Transmission of Electrical Energy Through Air, since the contents are further afield from "music". Though the album is only on CD, I do have a couple of tracks available for free listening. "Shortwave (Jake in Lexington)" is an unedited extract of shortwave reception, in which I play the radio receiver as "an instrument".

Both of these selections have been played on the radio -- maybe they are not that unusual if producers are choosing them for their audiences!

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Simply listening to the sounds of nature is a beautiful thing. I don't have anything that's just unchanged recordings of nature, but guys like Marcus Fischer, Loscil, Christopher Bissonnette, and Federico Durand are based off of field recordings and textures and it's great.

I had so much to write I put it in a blog article. Thousands of hours of field recording listening await the curious ear!

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Nice, thanks. I'll definitely check those out. I heard a couple songs and I'm intrigued. Interesting stuff. 

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 9
Wow, incredible improvisations. Cistern song is especially involving, I like.
http://remanence.robinparmar.com/sounds.html

For those liking odd stuff, try the soundtrack from Portal 2:
http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_gknRMZ-OU
I had so much to write I put it in a blog article. Thousands of hours of field recording listening await the curious ear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back