Weird things happening @ head-fi....
Dec 5, 2005 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

azncookiecutter

Headphoneus Supremus
I just found out I triple-posted on a thread. O.o
Beyond weird, plus I see that the posting a new message thing has changed a little bit (different bakground colour).

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
We're aware of the occasional database errors that pop-up when submitting a post. It is a side effect of ongoing work on the site.

I have a suggestion for all of you: When constructing a post, please, before hitting the "submit" button, copy-and-paste the text from your post to a notepad or document just in case the post-submit bails.

Thanks for your patience....or at least for not being patient, and biting your tongue while refraining from posting about it.
wink.gif

Regarding the database errors...I don't know if people are making an attempt to go back and hit submit again and again if they see the database error message, but I have found out that despite the error showing up, my posts DO go through. So before going back it's worth opening up a new Headfi window and seeing if your post made it through before attempting to backpaddle and hitting submit again and again.

If the forum software itself though is spawning multiple posts...that's a different problem.
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
Regarding the database errors...I don't know if people are making an attempt to go back and hit submit again and again if they see the database error message, but I have found out that despite the error showing up, my posts DO go through. So before going back it's worth opening up a new Headfi window and seeing if your post made it through before attempting to backpaddle and hitting submit again and again.

If the forum software itself though is spawning multiple posts...that's a different problem.
wink.gif

Yes. Head-Fiers please note that on initial receipt of the error message don't backup and repost/resubmit again. Instead, click back to the main page of your forum and see if your post may have been successful.

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 16
We're just testing new setups and in order to find the optimal settings, it will take some trial and error. Repetition is the mother of skill. So if you see a post repeated three times, read it, read it, read it.

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 16
I'm getting the opposite of multi posts.
I'll be surprised if this post goes through.

Oh gawd, I see my other post (in another thread) went through like a few minutes later.
I was just checking to see if this one went through after giving up on the last one, and there was the last one. 4 times............
eek.gif

I swear I looked first before hitting the submit again.

I guess I need to wait longer before deciding the post won't go through.

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 16
I shut off Head-Fi's e-mail features, which I'm hoping also shuts off message and PM notifications for now, while we work this out.

It seems some people were getting deluged with new post notifications and PM notifications--to the tune of hundreds or more.

To those who have received multiples of notifications, please accept our apology. Again, we're working on it now.

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #9 of 16
Yeah, that happened to me too. It happened because I posted a message and it said that there was an error in posting the message, so I tried to re-post. Well it turned out that although there was an error the first time I posted, the post still took place.

I have noticed quite a few little issues with this site lately. I really enjoy the site so it doesn't bother me all that much (I know they are trying to fix it) but I've noticed that it's painfully slow sometimes (usually I just open up another browser and surf whilst waiting), and once someone sent me a PM and I got like 45 notifications in my email... of coarse there is the one where the database is not up to snuff when I try to post topics...etc. Oh well, I'm sure it will all be fixed someday... hopefully.

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEcted1
....I have noticed quite a few little issues with this site lately. I really enjoy the site so it doesn't bother me all that much (I know they are trying to fix it) but I've noticed that it's painfully slow sometimes (usually I just open up another browser and surf whilst waiting), and once someone sent me a PM and I got like 45 notifications in my email... of coarse there is the one where the database is not up to snuff when I try to post topics...etc. Oh well, I'm sure it will all be fixed someday... hopefully.

As I've stated already, we've been working on the site. Have been for days now. New hardware. New software. Attempting some new customizations to speed certain things up. Just having a bit of trouble making it all work smoothly. We'll get there.

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

As I've stated already, we've been working on the site. Have been for days now. New hardware. New software. Attempting some new customizations to speed certain things up. Just having a bit of trouble making it all work smoothly. We'll get there.

Understood. I am a software developer myself and I know how it goes (We have been trying to deploy a piece of software to a county in Colorado for MONTHS! ugh... even they don't know what they really want). But also... the users of the product (us) tend to speak up... often
icon10.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 16
So I've been wondering, why do duplicate posts exist in any forum? Is it not trivial for the forum software to check equality in post(n) and post(n+1), and then remove the duplicate if they are equal? It seems that this problem, to me, is easily solvable.

Dec 12, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

What about animated avatars Jude.... will we be able to upload them again or have you turned that feature off for good?

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back