Weird ringing noise.
Jan 10, 2009 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

finoyvoy

Head-Fier
Alright so, my X-Fi Prelude finally came in today. I installed it, everything was working fine or so I thought. I hooked up my Shanling PH100 for my first listen and about 3 seconds or so after I turned it on, I began hearing this annoying ringing noise. I turned the amp off and turned it back on and there is always about a 3 second lag to the ringing noise. If I take the amp out and plug my cans directly into the sound card, I don't get this damned ringing noise. I plugged the amp into my older computer in the basement for comparison, and ringing is completely non-existent. I have a wireless network card, but it's disabled at the moment. I even removed the antennas just to make sure I wasn't hearing any time of wireless signal somehow. What the heck is going on??
angry_face.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 10
how did you configure x-fi? is it configured for headphones or speakers? is eax enabled? or any other of the crazy dsp modes that come enabled. those should all be turned off and it should be set to headphones.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how did you configure x-fi? is it configured for headphones or speakers? is eax enabled? or any other of the crazy dsp modes that come enabled. those should all be turned off and it should be set to headphones.

Everything is flat, no EQ, Crystalizer, CMSS-3D, EAX, SVM, or Dolby. I have it set to 2.1 Speakers, however I just switched it to headphones and I'm still getting the ringing sound.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 10
With all the things I have been through with my X-FI I would say it is in the drivers. Creative tends to make drivers that never work.
wink.gif

Try fooling around with different drivers. Also try the Prelude in another PC.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 10
try putting soundcard in as far away from anyother card as possible. sometimes video card adds interference.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 10
Can you describe the ringing more ? Is it like some sort of pattern?

while I didn't think much of the show, orange was quite funny.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you describe the ringing more ? Is it like some sort of pattern?

while I didn't think much of the show, orange was quite funny.

Eh, I can't say that it has any sort of pattern to it. It isn't similar to white noise or anything, if anything it bears some similarities to the sound your PC would make back in the 56k days when dialing up. Yes, I found him amusing as well, and even more so when I saw this picture of him.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 10
could be a feedback loop of some sort. make sure you have got your in and out channels configured properly. if you have your out configured as an in or vice versa, this could happen. does the noise start suddenly or does it increase exponentially (build up) ie: does it go from nothing to full-on or does it ramp up.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could be a feedback loop of some sort. make sure you have got your in and out channels configured properly. if you have your out configured as an in or vice versa, this could happen. does the noise start suddenly or does it increase exponentially (build up) ie: does it go from nothing to full-on or does it ramp up.

There seems to be a lag time of about 2-3 seconds from when I turn on the amp to when the sound appears. Once the noise starts, it stays at a constant volume. Of course however, it changes proportionally with the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back