Weird Pet
Nov 5, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd3mon
Very true. Rats make excellent pets in all but appearance. I've had experience with guinea pigs and hamsters, while both are cute, neither are smart. Rats move like a miniature human on four legs, deftly overcoming obstacles and solving problems quickly. They are acrobatic and have good balance (a friend of mine has a rat that enjoys sitting on her shoulder, and she can move around and bend over like normal with no fear of him falling). Other small rodents aren't nearly as smart or agile.

-dd3mon

The big downside, is that rats live very short lives. It's quite sad for something so smart to die so quickly.

I can barely tolerate the short lives of Roborovski hamsters. And they live around 3 years. Compared to the 1-2 year lifespan of most other rodents.

Has anyone ever had a Sugar Gilder or Southern Flying Squirrel? I've considered it, but they are illegal in California, and are very high maintenance. They are attention mongers. They can literally die of loneliness. They are very long lived.

-Ed

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
White mice are the physical forms of interdimensional beings secretly running the world.
smily_headphones1.gif

~KS

Ford?

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:52 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
They're covered with hundreds of sharp spines. They're so cuddly.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

-Ed

They are, in fact. I had two headgehogs as pets. There spines lay down and become almost loose unless they are frightened, and there underbelly is very soft.

Nov 5, 2004 at 12:16 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
They are, in fact. I had two headgehogs as pets. There spines lay down and become almost loose unless they are frightened, and there underbelly is very soft.

13p9ve52.jpg

eek.gif

Nov 5, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #20 of 27
I have none people to have chinchilla's, squirrel's, pot belly pig's, all kinds of snake's, ferret's, alligator's, just to name a few.

the squirrel (regular chicago land based, non gliding) was the coolest of the bunch though. he was like a regular house cat and had free run of the house. My buddy trained him to let off in a litter box.

havent talked to the kid in awhile so I dont know how his "sparky" is doing now

Nov 5, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr
My wife has a Ball Python. To me it's just a long lump of flesh that comes out to ingest a rat (frozen) occasionally. But I do threaten to toss the cats in with him when they misbehave....
biggrin.gif

A_Sr.

LOL btw why do you feed him frozen rat instead of a live one

Nov 5, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
LOL btw why do you feed him frozen rat instead of a live one

Live rats have a tendency to fight back when they realize they are about to become lunch, and that can injure the snake. And besides, it's great when you have guests over to open up the freezer to get something and give them a glimpse of little rat corpses frozen side by side on a tray in the freezer. Suddenly they don't want the ice cream we offered them....
eek.gif

A_Sr.

Nov 5, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 27
I've got a little parrot we've had for over 24 years. His name is Bazil (named after Basil Fawlty) as he walks a little like John Cleese.

Started off fresh from Pet shop untamed ( I hand tamed him until he would sit on my bare hand) and was my bird until he took a dislike to me for trimming his nails/wings many years ago and still does. Today he's just as likely to try to take a lump out of my hand.

Now is devoted to my eldest daughter who at one time was scared of being in the same room as him if he was out of his cage.

When we let him out he 'walks' up the open plan stairs and takes up residence in her room even if she is out.

Does not talk too much.

He's a Red-bellied Myer from Senegal.

Nov 5, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
pigs are actaully very smart and clean animal. it require much less time to train them comparing to dogs. its logical anyway since pork can causes many disease, and thats why god forbid you to eat them.

Mmm, pork.
The juiciest of the forbidden meats.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually its never a good idea to get edible pets.

Nov 5, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #26 of 27
I've got a muscovy duck named Bill. He lives at my friends house now that he is big and i am away at college. He is really a very loving duck although he usually scares people as male muscovies hiss instead of quack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back