Weird, general question about source/DACs in general
Jun 11, 2007 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
I notice there is much debate about the SQ and sound signature of various external DACs and other source components. However, I don't think I've ever read about anyone having multiple sources for different types of music.

Here's a specific example. I've read a few times on this board that Ori's Zhaolu mod has a vinyl-like sound signature. Does that mean I could use a K701 or HD600 and get a nice sound for jazz/classical, and still get a great rock/metal sound by hooking SR-225s or RS-1s into it?

I hope these questions are adding up to you guys. Thanks for reading
-Eric

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 6
Plenty of people listen on completely different systems depending on genre. I'm of the opinion that a good system should be enough of a compromise to handle almost everything well.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 6
I change up the gear based on the genre. One of the luxuries afforded by headphones is that you can change up on the music. Generally speaking, I'm more likely to use tubes and AKG the more acoustic the music is, as well if it's a live recording. I'll use solid state and Grado for the amplified and electronic music. Just suits my tastes better.

Also, format does figure into thins. I love SACD, but most of the catalog is either classical or jazz. So I use it quite a bit for those genres. I'll use vinyl and CD for rock, simply because it's available.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 6
This is in part an expression of the natural sound vs. colored sound debate, where one side says faithful reproduction serves most if not all of component chain best, and the other side says that different colorations synergize to produce a more satsifying result. It seems that there is true debate there...

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Hm. I would think that once you found a good source component you would just change the sound by switching cans...it just seems so much easier and less expensive.

edit: oh well, Ori answered my question directly
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks everyone.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is in part an expression of the natural sound vs. colored sound debate, where one side says faithful reproduction serves most if not all of component chain best, and the other side says that different colorations synergize to produce a more satsifying result. It seems that there is true debate there...

That's very insightful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back