Weight lifting/Strength/power grip/Personal training fi...
Oct 23, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #46 of 76
To get that nice ultra tight, muscle striation look is all about Diuretics, Losing fluid from the body. & low fat % or Dangerously low fat.. 3.5%... Diet, nutrition, & of course drugs.. Actually, the insides of a body builder is the opposite of their outer appearance.. I know of at least 2 Pro body builders in the late 80's or 90's that dropped dead on stage.. Combination of many things.. Drugs, & depriving your body of fluids being the main cause..

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #47 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
avoid cardio if u wanna bulk up.

i just run on mountain once a week and 15 min warm up before workout.

unless u want a lean muscular physique.

Actually you need both for total body Fitness..

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #48 of 76
I don't know about grip strength as I'm not really a power lifter looking for meets.

I deadlift 405 max but I use straps and a belt :p

I squat 385 max but I got to watch out for my knees. I'm not ashamed to say that I don't go to parallel on my squats because I'm really stiff in general.

My bench is pitiful at around 185 for 3 reps. I usually stick to dumbells due to my shoulder problems though.

I weigh about 200 right now at 5' 9.5" . Started my cut on Monday.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about grip strength as I'm not really a power lifter looking for meets.

I deadlift 405 max but I use straps and a belt :p

I squat 385 max but I got to watch out for my knees. I'm not ashamed to say that I don't go to parallel on my squats because I'm really stiff in general.

My bench is pitiful at around 185 for 3 reps. I usually stick to dumbells due to my shoulder problems though.

I weigh about 200 right now at 5' 9.5" . Started my cut on Monday.

You aren't fat at all, fatman!

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #50 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My bench is pitiful at around 185 for 3 reps. I usually stick to dumbells due to

Still not bad! I squat 315 but only for a couple of reps bellow parallel. My incline bench is about the same as your regular bench but for more reps. Different people different areas of strength. Neat to see tho, most people I see sporting grado's or senheiser's have legs the size of my arms (no offense :p)

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #51 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by strid3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always had mediocre chest strength, but I also dislocated my elbow a couple years ago from kickboxing which did not help. My incline bench has never been the same, and my flat bench has not improved much as a result. I think I could improve if I really put a lot of effort into it, but it is not high on my list of priorities. Ironically enough, my decline bench has had no negative impact at all and I can hit about 220.

Exactly the same happened to me, I dislocated my shoulder during submission wrestling and have not really been able to improve my chest strength a lot after that, I basically gave up on benchpressing totally. Interestingly though, when I was 19 my record squat was 260kg (approx 530 pounds?) with only 1 year of training. I have trained tae kwon do and kickboxing for over 6 years in total though. All those "leg extension" machines are a joke. I can do almost endless reps with max weight (~100+kg?), all thanks to kicking a lot
biggrin.gif

Currently I'm going to the gym about twice a week, doing some gentle chest and stomach one day, back and biceps on the other. Every other week I will do legs.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #52 of 76
I've been powerlifting for about 8 months (I'm still a beginer) but unlike you guys I never max out, I just try to improve my numbers in my sets. I weight 210 pounds and bench 250lbs 20 times (over 5 sets), deadlift 300lbs 15 times (over 5 sets) overhead press 140lbs 15 times (over 5 sets) and then I curl and shoulder press 50lbs dumbells 50 times each (over 5 sets). My overhead press is pathetic and where I really need the most work. The grip thing sounds quite interesting though, I might have to give it a try!

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #53 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The grip thing sounds quite interesting though, I might have to give it a try!

You can also use plain old heavy dumbells (or "free weight" shrug machine), do a shrug but at the top part of the movement stay static. Then hold on until you start vibrating and drop the weight. I have done 180lbs per hand doing this and this freaks professional bodybuilders out in a good way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #54 of 76
This thread made me smile...I wasn't sure how many headphone guys also cared about grip strength. Look carefully at this pic that I just posted on another part of the site - look at the support beam to the left of the desk:

IMG_0250.jpg

You can just see COC grippers - S, T, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and the the two finger ones below that! Some of them are obscured. I'm a huge fan of the electrical tape on one of the handles. I take the tape off if I'm going for a close on a tough gripper but day-to-day training is much more comfortable.

I close the COC 2 at this point but haven't trained since last year when I had my first kid. I'm a huge fan of Ironmind and have most of the other grip tools - the bands, the eggs, the pinch-grip blocks, thick-handled dumbbells, etc. I really have to balance the grip training with my cello playing but I feel the two are complimentary.

So, hats off to the other grip guys on Head-fi!!

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #55 of 76
Ooooh, a thread about my favorite hobby
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a setup in my basement. Powertec rack, FID bench, Texas Power Bar, and however much weight.

I'm an extreme hardgainer but have done pretty well thanks to my determination (force feeding myself 6000 calories a day). Started at 130lbs, and hit 226lbs a month or two back. Now I'm around 220lbs at 5'10. I've been training for about two years now, I bench around 350 and squat and deadlift around 500.

I'll post some pictures of my equipment later and I have some pretty funny comparison photos of myself.

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been powerlifting for about 8 months (I'm still a beginer) but unlike you guys I never max out, I just try to improve my numbers in my sets. I weight 210 pounds and bench 250lbs 20 times (over 5 sets), deadlift 300lbs 15 times (over 5 sets) overhead press 140lbs 15 times (over 5 sets) and then I curl and shoulder press 50lbs dumbells 50 times each (over 5 sets). My overhead press is pathetic and where I really need the most work. The grip thing sounds quite interesting though, I might have to give it a try!

250 20 times is impressive. I could do 36 reps with 225 and my max was 450. Try the gripper.. Your deadlifts will improve cause your grip is the weaklest link, even with straps. Albeit, deadlifting does increase grip strength to some degree, just not enough. The shrug idea isn't bad, but pinch gripping would be more effective, as you can train which ever fingers you like and takes finger dexterity and cordination depending on what you are pinching.. Some do lifts with pinch gripping. I prefer to hold the weight, to gain static strength. If you can pinch grip a 45lb plate with your thumb and index finger You have excellent hand strength.

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #57 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread made me smile...I wasn't sure how many headphone guys also cared about grip strength. Look carefully at this pic that I just posted on another part of the site - look at the support beam to the left of the desk:

IMG_0250.jpg

You can just see COC grippers - S, T, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and the the two finger ones below that! Some of them are obscured. I'm a huge fan of the electrical tape on one of the handles. I take the tape off if I'm going for a close on a tough gripper but day-to-day training is much more comfortable.

I close the COC 2 at this point but haven't trained since last year when I had my first kid. I'm a huge fan of Ironmind and have most of the other grip tools - the bands, the eggs, the pinch-grip blocks, thick-handled dumbbells, etc. I really have to balance the grip training with my cello playing but I feel the two are complimentary.

So, hats off to the other grip guys on Head-fi!!

2 is impressive. 3 is incredible. 4 is super human strength. Only 4 people in the world have closed it. Mangus, twice!!!! I bought the HG150/200. Just saw them before COC. I hear COC is more accurate with their weight measurements. I know you should grip on a certain side with a certain hand placement. My HG200 reps very way too much. Must be my technique. I did some hand strengthen at work, then got home for my 'real' grip training. After my exercises, I gave the 200's a shot. With one grip I did 22 click reps.. 25 'reps' total. My past hight was around 16-19.. Ofcourse my right forearm felt like lead, and like I was hit with a baseball bat.. So, I trained my extensors with ironmind rubber bands.. 3 sets. 100 reps. Green strength. My forearm felt a bit better.. Balance is always key to opposing muscle groups.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can pinch grip a 45lb plate with your thumb and index finger You have excellent hand strength.

Going to give this a try Monday or Tuesday. Problem is the gym has those rubber coated weights and that will help with the gripping.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #59 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the gripper.. Your deadlifts will improve cause your grip is the weaklest link, even with straps. Albeit, deadlifting does increase grip strength to some degree, just not enough. The shrug idea isn't bad, but pinch gripping would be more effective, as you can train which ever fingers you like and takes finger dexterity and cordination depending on what you are pinching.. Some do lifts with pinch gripping. I prefer to hold the weight, to gain static strength. If you can pinch grip a 45lb plate with your thumb and index finger You have excellent hand strength.

Yeah, I could always use extra grip strength since that seems to bottleneck the deadlift once you start getting into higher weight. I'm gonna try pinch gripping this week!

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #60 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going to give this a try Monday or Tuesday. Problem is the gym has those rubber coated weights and that will help with the gripping.

Just make sure the 45lb plate lying flat.. You pinch the inner ring part.. I have a IE, he seems to be using 4 fingers, but you get the idea.. Still very tough..

Scroll down..

Hand gripper training- hand gripper, grippers, hand strength, sport, muscles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back