Weight lifting/Strength/power grip/Personal training fi...
Oct 11, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 76
couldnt be a perfect timing

i ve started working out over the past month.

been taking Whey Protein (Gold Standard)

how about making it a thread for body building

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #17 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All with shirts I assume?

For the records? Yes. I used them a couple times, didn't like them.. They really only work well if you train your triceps/front delts. Didn't help me at all.. For those scratching their head.. goggle bench shirt...
duggehsmile.png

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the records? Yes. I used them a couple times, didn't like them.. They really only work well if you train your triceps/front delts. Didn't help me at all.. For those scratching their head.. goggle bench shirt...
duggehsmile.png

Yeah, I know the records are shirted. 450 shirtless is pretty damn impressive, especially considering age. I've never heard of anyone actually peaking at 19.
ph34r.gif

I'll never get up there... I like being thin.
o2smile.gif

Anyways, enough circle jerking around; let's have some real discussion. Belts on small dudes doing relatively light weights: yay or nay? I only see the big guys wearing it, but honestly my lower back is feeling it every once in a while.

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #19 of 76
I'm extremely thin. Is it at all possible to put on maybe 10 pounds through body weight exercises? I've been doing push ups, pull/chin ups, crunches, and I have access to a leg press and simple pulley weight machine which I use for a standing fly. I lifted a lot a couple years back and only put on maybe 5 pounds in 3 months, so I probably wasn't eating enough. Nowadays I don't have the time to hit the gym 4 days a week. Are gains feasible or will I have to find time to head to an actual gym?

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #20 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm extremely thin. Is it at all possible to put on maybe 10 pounds through body weight exercises? I've been doing push ups, pull/chin ups, crunches, and I have access to a leg press and simple pulley weight machine which I use for a standing fly. I lifted a lot a couple years back and only put on maybe 5 pounds in 3 months, so I probably wasn't eating enough. Nowadays I don't have the time to hit the gym 4 days a week. Are gains feasible or will I have to find time to head to an actual gym?

Definitely! Eat, train, sleep. Learn how to eat: the whats and whens are pretty important. Lower body exercises with big compound movements are especially helpful. Body squats, lunges and such.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #21 of 76
I am just shy of the 1000 lbs. club. Leaning out for an upcoming BJJ tournament isn't helping much either. Bench 1RM 320lb, Deadlift 295lb 3RM, Squat 315 3RM, those were @ 5' 10" @190lb, now I'm at 175lb...faster, more endurance but my bench has dropped by a good 25lbs. My squats probably suck now, since I've just been doing hills and running stairs.

atothex- As for lifting belts, I don't use one. I heard from this Kinesiology major (a girl I was seeing at the time) that it does not in fact engage more core or offer any sort of stability...so I just suck it in and keep that core tight.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd focus on bigger muscle groups, & compound exercises, using more then one major body part.. Bench press: Chest. Front delts. Triceps. Squats: Quads/Hamstrings. etc.. These are also mass builders. Not sure if you are a hard gainer or not.. But For increased muscle mass, & more weight, I'd recommend the power lifts.. But building a good foundation is key. Form & proper body mechanics over weight.. If you start with bad habits they will be hard to get rid of. If you have trouble gaining weight.. & protein shake, or high calorie but nutritional shake can be taken. You can save money & make your own. Training 2 days a week to start is fine.. If gaining quality weight is what you want, my suggestions are a good starting point.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #23 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I know the records are shirted. 450 shirtless is pretty damn impressive, especially considering age. I've never heard of anyone actually peaking at 19.
ph34r.gif

I'll never get up there... I like being thin.
o2smile.gif

Anyways, enough circle jerking around; let's have some real discussion. Belts on small dudes doing relatively light weights: yay or nay? I only see the big guys wearing it, but honestly my lower back is feeling it every once in a while.

Thank you.. Also, no huge chest bump & no arching.. It seems like a great accomplishment to the outside world, but in the Power lifting world a teen benching 400 plus isn't THAT unusual. Far from the norm of course.. But when I subscribed to PL USA, I'd read about quit a few 18-19 yr old putting up anywhere from 400-525...

Belts should be used sparingly IMO.. Just like wraps & shirts.. If used too much will become a crutch & weaken your lower back.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #24 of 76
About my grip progress.. Was able to close the HG200lb 18 times with my right hand.. Albeit, the last two reps, I can't be 100% sure I closed them all the way. I rested 3 days. Also, I use rubber bands to train my forearm extensors.. The muscles that open the hand.. Much lighter weight of course.. 1-2 regular rubber bands will do.. I do 3 sets to fatigue..

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #25 of 76
Any tips how I can achieve these results or would I be reaching too high?

vlcsnap00003s.png
vlcsnap00004h.png

vlcsnap00005h.png
vlcsnap00006l.png

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

I'd focus on bigger muscle groups, & compound exercises, using more then one major body part.. Bench press: Chest. Front delts. Triceps. Squats: Quads/Hamstrings. etc.. These are also mass builders. Not sure if you are a hard gainer or not.. But For increased muscle mass, & more weight, I'd recommend the power lifts.. But building a good foundation is key. Form & proper body mechanics over weight.. If you start with bad habits they will be hard to get rid of. If you have trouble gaining weight.. & protein shake, or high calorie but nutritional shake can be taken. You can save money & make your own. Training 2 days a week to start is fine.. If gaining quality weight is what you want, my suggestions are a good starting point.

Do you focus on Olympic lifts more (e.g. Clean and Jerk and snatchs)? Or do you make sure to get a good foundation on the cores lifts first (bench, squat, deadlift, pull-ups)?

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #27 of 76
Quote:

I think I am a hardgainer. I stuffed my face 4 times a day as much as I could, on top of daily protein shakes. On the flip side, I think I overworked myself. I was at the gym 5 days a week doing high reps for even small muscles like biceps/triceps. (5 sets, 10 reps) Looking back, that might have overworked my muscles. I did focus heavily on compound upper body lifts, like the bench, decline bench, and 2x dumbbell bench. I never maxxed but I was repping about 135lb x 6. I'd say not bad for someone who is 5'7 and not even 125. My chest muscles got a lot stronger but not any bigger.

Push ups probably won't be as effective as doing weighted benches, but are they enough to make a noticeable increase in mass? I'm thinking of getting pushup handles for increased range. As I said before, nothing crazy, I'm just looking to add about 10 pounds of muscle. I notice my arms show visible gains relatively quickly, it's just my chest that refuses to budge.

I've also never incorporated chin/pull ups into my workout regimen before. After the first few days... my back has never been that sore before. Great workout!

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #29 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by APWiseman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you focus on Olympic lifts more (e.g. Clean and Jerk and snatchs)? Or do you make sure to get a good foundation on the cores lifts first (bench, squat, deadlift, pull-ups)?

You really need a Certified strength & conditioning coach, or other knowledgeable person to tech you the proper techniques when it comes to the clean & jerk & snatches. Most trainers really have no clue & is out of their scope. Building a good foundation in the core lifts are essential for long term success & in terms of reducing injury. Starting on free weights over machines would be ideal, since you must balance each arm individually, helps builds better coordination & helps to employ stabilizer muscles among other things..

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #30 of 76
I've been doing the weight thing for 7 years now, and I've never bothered with Olympic lifts. Olympic lifts for a newb is just a frightening idea. Even safer lifts like a flat bench with spot can have horrific mishaps, like with that USC kid. Tragic stuff.

Anyways, progress always comes easy for newbs. Just need to learn real discipline, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back