Websites with Zen Micro altoids case instructions?
Dec 20, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #227 of 255
Thanks for the link..........will study it and maybe build one...
etysmile.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #228 of 255
So once you get your Micro or in my case Microphoto into one of these things you can set it up and close the lid without switching it to hold?!? This would be cool, rather open a lid than fingernail for that switch. Since the Microphoto is a bit thinner a layer on top an bottom should be just about perfect.

Anyone wanna loan me a dremmel
tongue.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #229 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammin72
So once you get your Micro or in my case Microphoto into one of these things you can set it up and close the lid without switching it to hold?!? This would be cool, rather open a lid than fingernail for that switch. Since the Microphoto is a bit thinner a layer on top an bottom should be just about perfect.

Anyone wanna loan me a dremmel
tongue.gif

my first case I just used a nail to punch a hole through, then used heavy duty kitchen scissors and pliers to bend the tin back and crimp it down. looked bad, worked well.
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #230 of 255
I know this might not be the right forum to post this. But it is a very active forum and everyone seems very knowledgable. I am looking at getting a Vaja leather case for my player and was wondering if anyone knows of recent online discount codes?

I really appreciate any help and I enjoy reading all your messages they are very informative.

Thank you.

Jan 2, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #231 of 255
here is my case...i bought my zen the other day from amazon....6gb...should be here soon...also...one question...i keep reading that some of them have TRANSPARENCY problems? what does this mean, what is transparent? the screen?...TIA

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

Jan 2, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #232 of 255
hey
i came across this link about 3 weeks ago, and fell in love with the idea
I knew (90% sure) that i was gettin a ZM for Christmas, so i was like, what the heck ill make one before it comes
of course, it was too thick
so i had to make another one
i dont have a digital cam or anything like that, so i cant post pics
pretty cool tho
sorry for rambling on
580smile.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #233 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by dblock110
here is my case...i bought my zen the other day from amazon....6gb...should be here soon...also...one question...i keep reading that some of them have TRANSPARENCY problems? what does this mean, what is transparent? the screen?...TIA

http://usera.imagecave.com/dblock110/IMG_1554.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://usera.imagecave.com/dblock110/IMG_1555.jpg[/IM][/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

nice work on the inside, but doesn't the ZM rattle around in there a bit? I put more padding on the sides of my cases.

Jan 2, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #234 of 255
thanks for the reply...well i actually cant tell u if u moves around because i dont have one yet...but looking at the others..i will probably need more...this was my first attempt and probably will make another one and this time use a sander, not sandpaper...i was bored the day i ordered it and looked online and saw some...i will make another one...maybe some chrome spraypaint too...

also...do u know of any hacks for the zen micro...i had an ipod and could change alot of stuff...got a psp now and always changing stuff...is there anything u can do on a zen?

Jan 15, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #235 of 255
I finally got around to building mine. My original plans called for black velvet to be glued in after the felt, but I quickly discovered that there was not enough room. Perhaps in version 2.0 It'll get used.

Anyway, here are some pics.

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

Feb 4, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #236 of 255
The microphoto is perfect for altoids cases.

I have made 3 cases (all altiods one pepermint, one cinimen, one silver sanded). Just bought a new "Myntz!" green tea cas looks real cool. I would like to buy pengin mints but it does not look like they are avalable in the US.

From what I have experimented with sanding with sandpaper is better than the dremal.

IMO Forget superglue, cement, double side tape. Use a glue stick for the felt on the top (I find using one that covers the hole top instead of just the screen to look better). Then for the foam I dont use anything, I just stick the player in and let it sit when I am done.

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #237 of 255
Big props to this thread, or else I would have been stuck with a silicon case for my ZMP.

I decided to go for the aluminum look: I used paint thinner to get rid of most of the original coat, but the top lid needed sanding still. My dad helped me make the hole at the top, using an exacto knife and needle-nose pliers.

Here are some pics:

DSC00832.jpg

DSC00831.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

I am pretty happy with the results, but I need to get the top lid as shiny as the bottom. Is there some sort of solution/chemical that will do that? After thats done I will have to seal it w/ a clear coat, so that it doen't get dirty/rusty.

I originally had a grey ZMP, but returned it for a black one (hee hee!). So, I plan on making another case that will be spray painted black and hopefully have a rebel/jedi decal (I'm a big Star Wars fan) on the front lid. And of course, the inside would feature black foam.

I'll post pics if I ever complete it.

Feb 12, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #238 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by JediBaja
Big props to this thread, or else I would have been stuck with a silicon case for my ZMP.

I decided to go for the aluminum look: I used paint thinner to get rid of most of the original coat, but the top lid needed sanding still. My dad helped me make the hole at the top, using an exacto knife and needle-nose pliers.

Here are some pics:

DSC00832.jpg

DSC00831.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

I am pretty happy with the results, but I need to get the top lid as shiny as the bottom. Is there some sort of solution/chemical that will do that? After thats done I will have to seal it w/ a clear coat, so that it doen't get dirty/rusty.

I originally had a grey ZMP, but returned it for a black one (hee hee!). So, I plan on making another case that will be spray painted black and hopefully have a rebel/jedi decal (I'm a big Star Wars fan) on the front lid. And of course, the inside would feature black foam.

I'll post pics if I ever complete it.

Where did you buy the sony earphones of your ZM? Looks great dude!!! What's the model name?

What's the best color in your opinion?

I'm thinking of buying one but I'm not sure whether it's going to be white, black or the gray/silver one.

Feb 19, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #239 of 255
I just threw together an altoid tin case for my Zen Micro. Used the standard Red can and whatever I had around. What turned out to work very well is door weather insulation foam tape. I bought it at Home Depot. It is 3/4" grey sticky back and about 1/2" thick. It is easy to cut with scissors or a razor blade. The foam is not dense, about like packing foam. I ran it around the sides and bottom and beveled it in towards the bottom with a razor blade to about 1/4" on the sides only. I used a Dremel to cut out the three holes at the top and shaped them to match. I made the headphone jack hole larger to allow it to snap all the way in. This helps pull the Zen forward in the can. It fits very tightly and doesn't rattle or move in the case. It just needs some kind of clip to attach to a belt or pocket.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #240 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Krillin
Where did you buy the sony earphones of your ZM? Looks great dude!!! What's the model name?

What's the best color in your opinion?

I'm thinking of buying one but I'm not sure whether it's going to be white, black or the gray/silver one.

They are Sony MDR-Q66LW clip-on headphones.

I got them from yesasia.com for about $30, but it looks like it is not sold there anymore. However, you can get these from AudioCubes: http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

I believe you can still find the silver version in the US at Circuit City or Best Buy.

Also note that there seems to be a newer model out: the MDR-Q67LW or MDR-Q37LW. Check them out in the "Clip-On" section of the "Headphone, Earphone" category on page 3 of AudioCubes. I have not seen these being sold at stores in the US.

However, you may also consider getting Audio-Technica retractable clip-ons as well. They seem to be popular on that site and of good quality (see page 1).

As far as color goes for headphones: I got black headphones to match my PSP, since I can't stand to use the WHITE (= ipoo) earbuds the PSP was supplied with. Also the black blends in with my hair, so nobody realizes I have them on. Although white colored headphones would match any color ZMP, since they all have a white backing.

IMO any color ZMP you choose will look good. All of them have a nice semi-metalic finish to them. I did have a grey/silver ZMP before and it looked very nice, but I opted to spend an extra $30 for black for it to match my headphones (I'm much happier now). Despite white = ipoo, I have seen a pic of a white ZMP in an online review somewhere and it looks good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back