Websites Look Weird Since Upgrading to Windows 7...
Nov 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

crazyface

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I've used IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome - and all exhibit the same basic issue. Never had this until I installed Windows 7, though - it just didn't happen in XP.

Background images don't work anymore, nor do many sorts of images that constitute "buttons" for links. When I purchase something through a web order form, the labels on all the buttons are unclear, like if someone took the same text and laid it over itself several times.

I think it's some kind of JAvascript issue, maybe a Windows security thing? But I don't think I ever disabled that. Weird, huh?

What can I do?

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What can I do?

(Waits for anti-Windows people to answer this question in the only way they will know how...
popcorn.gif
)

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 20
If it's across all browsers, the problem seems to be in the sites, not the computer. Changing your operating system doesn't change the way web browsers render things. If you really want, try re-installing 7, but that doesn't seem to be the cause here.

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Waits for anti-Windows people to answer this question in the only way they will know how...
popcorn.gif
)

Get a mac! No mac user has ever experienced any OS issues. Ever.

Or, Get Linux! You can code your own solutions to problems!

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a mac! No mac user has ever experienced any OS issues. Ever.

Or, Get Linux! You can code your own solutions to problems!

Oooooo, you person... I'll see you at Can Jam!
angry_face.gif

I think I might switch to Linux myself, actually. My hard drive is failing, and I'm definitely intrigued by the concept.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooooo, you person... I'll see you at Can Jam!
angry_face.gif

I think I might switch to Linux myself, actually. My hard drive is failing, and I'm definitely intrigued by the concept.

Linux is... interesting. I had to learn it when the lab that I worked in a couple years back ran everything on linux. It is very neat to have all free, full featured programs, though.

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 20
Hi!
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have Cleartype on.

I have installed the newest Flash, Java and Quicktime, yes.

It isn't the websites. It happens with all websites. Every single website on the internet gives me these troubles now.

Here is what Microsoft.com looks like for me:

badweb.jpg

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 20
I love cleartype. Without it most of the characters become unreadable.

Have you tried updating W7? Search for Windows Update and see what updates are available. Your microsoft.com looks like it was made for mobile phones.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #11 of 20
What other programs are you using, namely Anti-Virus adware and the like? A little googleing tells me Kaspersky can be particularly troublesome in Vista so it may apply to 7.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 20
All the text in that screenshot looks fine to me except for the Microsoft logo.

Check to make sure your resolution is set correctly (should be set to the native resolution of your monitor).

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 20
My native resolution is right.
Windows 7 is updated all the way, even all the optional updates.

It's not the clarity of the type that I'm concerned about, it's the various errors in the rendering of the webpage. When I was giving the example of the text being unreadable in buttons, you have to read my description literally: it is limited to buttons and it is the case that the text is repeated several times, overlapping itself.

Like one poster said, the websites all look like they were designed for mobile phones.

Go to Microsoft.com for yourself and see how different it is, if you please.

I am using Avast! I used it with XP also, had no such problems. And before I installed it on Windows 7, I still had these problems; I've had them since I first installed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back