Weber Copper Cap - solid state replacement for tube rectifiers
Jul 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone seen/tried these out:

Weber Copper Cap Rectifiers

An amp-builder friend of mine pointed them out to me after my recent experience with a faulty Sophia Princess rectifier.

I'm really of two minds about them. On the one hand, since the rectifier tube isn't in the signal path, it makes sense to use a solid state component here to achieve maximum power supply linearity, as well as the reduced power consumption.

On the other hand, I like my big glowy rectifier tube dammit
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 5
So it turned out to be the Sophia that was faulty, not a problem with your WA6-SE? I'm glad it wasn't your amp misbehaving but it's not something I'd expect out of such an expensive, new tube.

The tube replacements look interesting but seem to me to be designed for improved reliability and reduced power consumption, rather than improved audio performance: an engineering solution rather than something to attract audiophiles. I'd be interested to see how they compare.

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by EtherealApril /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it turned out to be the Sophia that was faulty, not a problem with your WA6-SE? I'm glad it wasn't your amp misbehaving but it's not something I'd expect out of such an expensive, new tube.

That's what we think, its on its way back to Sophia Electric at Jack's instruction, anyway. The Woo certainly isnt faulty, as the stock rectifier's working fine and the thing still sounds incredible.

Quote:

The tube replacements look interesting but seem to me to be designed for improved reliability and reduced power consumption, rather than improved audio performance: an engineering solution rather than something to attract audiophiles. I'd be interested to see how they compare.

I sent the link to Jack as well to see what he thought of it, and according to him it's NOT suitable for the WA6SE. It's still interesting though, and I wonder if there are other amps out there it would suit.

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 5
There have been replacements available for some time and you can always rework an amp to use diodes and caps to replace a tube rectifier.

However, I think that a tube rectifier adds a certain amount of personality to the sound you don't get with solid state. I'll happily put up with the quirks and occasional failures just to get the most out of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back