We Head-fiers should ask Etymotic to make a Triple Driver IEM...
Jan 9, 2008 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

IEMaddict

100+ Head-Fier
This idea came across my head today. Do you think Etymotic will ever come out with another earphone(maybe a triple driver) better than the ER4 anytime soon?. I and many others here on head-fi I know love the Etymotic sound signature. And if something like this came out, would you buy it?

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 36
Would be cool if the Head-Fi gives them a petition to atleast come out with a dual driver.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 36
It would be awesome if we could do something like that, But how would we do it and who could put something like this together?

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 36
Um, just exactly who do we think we are? Petition Etymotic? If head-fi were to blow up right this minute I seriously doubt Etymotic would even notice. We constitute such a small percentage of the market that our purchasing power is completely irrelevant. Our opinions and feedback aren't irrelevant though, since we're a very vocal minority, but I have yet to decide if that is a good thing.

We can influence boutique manufacturers that rely on us to market their limited-edition products, and we can certainly advertise mass-market headphones by providing lots of positive hype around them (which explains our sponsorship), but a major company like Etymotic, that sells a lot of products to the professional market and has the name recognition to stock its products in more upscale audio stores, doesn't need us, nor care.

I also remember reading that they don't like to deal with crossovers and multiple drivers, though it was so long ago that my brain, such as it is, could be playing tricks on me.

P.S. Didn't mean to sound bitter, just making my point. Hope no one takes offense.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 36
Why do people think multiple drivers with crossovers sound better?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 36
Etymotic don't believe in multiple driver phones

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ety...ml#post1808257
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_wilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need a dual driver IEM, or did some marketing genius convince you that two drivers are better than one?

The arguement for multiple drivers holds water when there are physical limitations to filling a large room with sound, and not a 1.4cc volume in your ear canal.

What do you plan to gain from dual driver?

Also as said in the thread refered by mrdeadfolx above,
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mead Killian spoke at the 2006 National and said that the ER4's are exactly the sound that he wished to reproduce.

Also several people prefere etymotic single sound signature to the triple drivers offers from competitor.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people think multiple drivers with crossovers sound better?
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't speak for everyone, but the only canalphones I've even remotely liked had multiple drivers.

Well, rephrase that.

The only canalphone I've ever liked is dual-driver.

I've heard a lot of single-driver balanced-armature canalphones. Almost all, though not quite.

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 36
i too have gone down many paths for both canalphones and iems and the er series is one of my favourite. No other micro arm driver based iem can keep up with trance. I think the only thing that er might be missing is maybe some bass - but it could be that that is how ety engineers thought their phones should sound. Personally i dont like the idea that a phoneust have multiple drivers to sound good. If enough research is done one can sound excellent and/or have heaps base a look at recent reviews of klipsch image phone. Naturally for manudactuers multiple are more expensive and once they have perfected the process, the margins are much higher.

There is a group of us who prefer single drivers. Right now, I am quite content with my dynammic based atrio m5 - preferring it even to the mighty er 4s

Edit: this was all itouched so sorry for the more than usual mistakes

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 36
I think I said this before on the other thread (in DanT's link): How would multiple driver makes Ety's flat freq. response even more flat than it is now? After all, flat freq. response is what Ety want to offer us and it is what we are looking for on an Ety, right?

If you want something more fun from Ety, get ER7 (iM716) and fix it on Bass mode.

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak for everyone, but the only canalphones I've even remotely liked had multiple drivers.

Well, rephrase that.

The only canalphone I've ever liked is dual-driver.

I've heard a lot of single-driver balanced-armature canalphones. Almost all, though not quite.

What did you think about ER4?

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #15 of 36
One main reason that I have come to like multiple driver iems over single driver, is that with single driver iems, some music passages are too complex for single driver iems to handle, thus making musical dynamics compress rather than expand. I find this through my personal experiences. Others might have a different opinion on this. I find this alot with single driver iems and occasionally the ER4P. The only single driver iem that does not suffer from this is maybe the ER4-S. This is one of the reasons that I think it is still the best single driver IEM on the market. But when compared to the triple.fi that I have owned for a while now, the Triple.fis dynamics just keep expanding more than any other earphone. I found this when I heard the se530 aswell(I prefer the Ety to the Shure though
etysmile.gif
). Sound with multiple drivers also(to me) is more expansive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back