We bought a new TV Yesterday
Dec 27, 2005 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
Well we finally bought a new TV after a few months of indecision and debate. The old one we have has served us for a long time but the picture is starting to go and it is time to go to High Definition.

We got a Toshiba 72" 72MX195 Cinema Series. It has a beautiful picture and it will be delivered this Friday just in time for the football playoffs.

Here is a picture of it:

72mx195_cldefault.jpg

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 28
"DANG!"

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 28
Is it inappropriate to drool?

Dec 27, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 28
So, uh, I'll be over for the Bears game Sunday.
cool.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 28
72" is an awesome size.

Sports have never looked so real! Boxing matches look like you are standing in the ring.

I swear, you will never want to leave your house again.

Dec 27, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
That's huge, do you live in a loft?
tongue.gif

with the new HDTVs you don't need to be as far away so you can have bigger sets in smaller rooms. The rule of thumb for minimum viewing distance is 2X the screen height. So for this one that is 88" or just a bit over 7'.

Dec 28, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 28
Is it LCD projection or DLP?
Don't forget to use DVI along with a good video card for good results. And don't forget a nice set of Bluetooth keyboard and mouse or at least a long USB extension cable so you can sit an optimum distance from the screen.
Oh, and better check the price for replacement bulbs as the bright ones in projectors don't last very long. For most projectors, I recommend a regular LCD monitor for "everyday" work so you don't burn hours off the bulb on tasks that do not benefit from a big screen.

Dec 28, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 28
I guess you have an HDTV-capable TV service set up already too? Otherwise you won't be gettin' those playoffs in HD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
I guess you have an HDTV-capable TV service set up already too? Otherwise you won't be gettin' those playoffs in HD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I have a 19" Dell direct view LCD. I do like projectors, except for the costs of replacing the bulb. And a flat panel (LCD or plasma) significantly bigger with good resolution is simply too expensive for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back