WDS-1 and WTP-1: The New D/A Converter and CD Transport from Woo Audio
Mar 28, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #46 of 53

Quote:

Quoted for validity...
confused.gif

My interpretation is:

WDS-1 is capable of 192/24 on all inputs.

Native driverless USB Audio Rev 1 on Windows allows for 96/24 w/o drivers.
Windows PCs support 192/24 via USB Audio rev2. You need to install the driver from Woo's site for this.

Macs have native support for USB Audio rev2 and do not need external drivers. It supports 192/24 out of the box.

I say "interpretation" because I haven't taken the trouble to read the whitepaper on USB audio standards, though I'm confident that's how things roll.

@MorbidToaster: They've started shipping now. Some stores around the globe have their pre-order status changed to in-stock.

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #47 of 53
My interpretation is:

WDS-1 is capable of 192/24 on all inputs.

Native driverless USB Audio Rev 1 on Windows allows for 96/24 w/o drivers.
Windows PCs support 192/24 via USB Audio rev2. You need to install the driver from Woo's site for this.

Macs have native support for USB Audio rev2 and do not need external drivers. It supports 192/24 out of the box.

I say "interpretation" because I haven't taken the trouble to read the whitepaper on USB audio standards, though I'm confident that's how things roll.

@MorbidToaster: They've started shipping now. Some stores around the globe have their pre-order status changed to in-stock.

Damn...I'll probably miss preorder prices then.

Anyone getting a pair? I am craving non meet impressions.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #50 of 53
I'm very interested in the pair but I've heard from a few people that the transport was having a few problems at RMAF (needing to be reset frequently). Has this been improved for the actual market release? I really want them both but if the transport isn't up to snuff I'll have to look elsewhere. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #51 of 53
^ Both really good questions
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #52 of 53
Just got the newer transport. My initial impressions are WOW or WOO!  I have been using various transports for some time, varying from simple consumer cd players with optical and electrical outputs to a fairly expensive CEC transport/player. The WOO is way ahead of all of these.  I am impressed that even feeding an inexpensive Yamaha receiver the improvements are considerable. 

I am reminded of some old history here where many years back, Linn Sondek introduced a very expensive turntable, (no arm or cartridge)  at a price point that most people thought was ridiculous. The big money was supposed to go for speakers and amps. Eventually many people saw the merit of a killer front end.  It's the same here.  Many people ask can a transport make a big difference and the answer is yes.

(One point to make at the outset, contrary to accepted opinion  I am using the optical output with however a fairly expensive glass cable the Wireworld Supernova 6. )  Some while back I shifted away from electrical digital cables because I was hearing better sound with the optical and especially the higher end optical cables. .  I intend to do some  comparisons of electrical vs optical links between  the transport and dac in the future.

Anyway, thanks Jack this is a great product.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #53 of 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Back