Wayne Gretzky vs. Sidney Crosby
Mar 4, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #46 of 58
No, gretzky definitely played in the high scoring years. Clutch and grab came later. He also had the advantage of going against flop and drop goalies.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #48 of 58
O.K. guys, this has been a real learning experience reading your replies. Thanks. All of you must have seen Crosby's goal in the Olympics. I still can't get over it and has to be one of the most defining moments in hockey. What one moment, would you say, is Gretzky's defining moment? Was it as great as Crosby's?

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #49 of 58
does he really have a defining moment? I'm not too sure. aside from his 4 stanley cup wins, canada cup, etc etc. He really didn't need a single moment to put himself in the centre of attention. He was there, playing amazing games every moment.

although I haven't seen it in person (or tv at that time) 50 goals in 39 games moment stuck me as very defining moment for Gretzky, mainly because it's a feat that won't be broken (quite possibly ever, unless nhl changes the net size twice its current size), and at that moment, I knew he has dont something that can't be duplicated by anyone else.

I'm sure many other moments have importance in his career, but that's the one that stands out to me.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #50 of 58
Seems that everyone is saying "Let's give Sid another 10 years." Does it mean they're forgetting that Gretz was a phenom from Day 1? Winning the Hart trophy (mvp) for like his first 9 consecutive years in the NHL? Come on. Crosby's got 1 Hart in what, 4 years now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.K. guys, this has been a real learning experience reading your replies. Thanks. All of you must have seen Crosby's goal in the Olympics. I still can't get over it and has to be one of the most defining moments in hockey.

Personally, I have a hard time to see people still talking about it much 10 years from now. Could be wrong though.

Quote:

What one moment, would you say, is Gretzky's defining moment? Was it as great as Crosby's?

I would have to say surpassing Gordie Howe's scoring record as an LA King while playing at the Edmonton Northlands Coliseum. Just a perfect time and place to do it.

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

O.K. guys, this has been a real learning experience reading your replies. Thanks. All of you must have seen Crosby's goal in the Olympics. I still can't get over it and has to be one of the most defining moments in hockey. What one moment, would you say, is Gretzky's defining moment? Was it as great as Crosby's?

You're overstating the significance of that goal.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems that everyone is saying "Let's give Sid another 10 years." Does it mean they're forgetting that Gretz was a phenom from Day 1? Winning the Hart trophy (mvp) for like his first 9 consecutive years in the NHL? Come on. Crosby's got 1 Hart in what, 4 years now?

You know what? You're right. He can certainly still become one of the all time greats, but with his great but not exactly phenomenal start, it's very unlikely that he'll end up as the best ever. (Of course, ending up as one of the 5 or 10 best of all time is noting to sneeze at...)

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Ya that wasnt that great of a goal. I mean Crosby played alright that game and took a shot, thats all that happend. He didnt school anybody, he just put it on net and it went it.

Crosby vs. Gretzky there is no competition Gretzky blew the game away when he started, there was just nothing like him. Crosby on the other hand is a very good player, but he doesnt blow anyone away. There are many players in the NHL that could easily keep up with him. I think hes great with the puck, stong skater, and can really put together a play. But in the end he hasnt really blown me away with his skills.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #56 of 58
Granted, the NHL during Gretzky's heyday and the NHL today are two different beasts.  Gretzky had so much room to work with, and didn't have to deal with much physical crap, because guys like Semenko and McSorley would beat the crap out of anyone that so much as farted in Gretzky's direction.  Crosby has to deal with a lot more physical abuse, and plays in an era in which goals, for wahtever reason, are much harder to come by.  Could Gretzky play in today's league and be one of the dominant players?  I don't know.  Could Crosby play in 1985-1986 and be a dominant player?  I'd say, "yes."  Regardless, for the era in which he played, Gretzky was a dominant offensive force.

In Gretzky's highest scoring season (1985-1986), he scored or assisted on 50.4% of Edmonton's goals.
The 2nd leading scorer was Mario Lemieux, who scored or assisted on 45.0% of Pittsburgh's goals.

In Crosby's highest scoring season (2006-2007), he scored or assisted on 43.3% of Pittsburgh's goals.
The 3rd leading scorer (2nd leading was Joe Thornton, who had 6 more points than Vincent Lecavalier, but split between Boston and San Jose, and I'm too lazy to break down the split) was Vincent Lecavalier, who scored or assisted on 42.7% of Tampa Bay's goals.  FYI, Alexander Ovechkin scored or assisted on 39.1% of his teams goals, and he sure gets as much hype as Sidney Crosby.

I have no clue what this tells me, but Wayne Gretzky was involved in 50.4% of his team's scoring - the highest scoring team in the league by far!  That is sick!  It also tells me that Crosby brought as much to the table for the Penguins in 2006-07 as Super Mario did in 1985-86.  That means Crosby is still a heck of a player!

And yes, Crosby has Malkin, but Gretzky had Jari Kurri, Paul Coffey, Glenn Anderson, and Mark Messier!  OK... Crosby also had the 38-yr old Mark Recchi and the minus-5 Sergei Gonchar as other top scoring teammates...

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #57 of 58
Hi guys...take it from this long time Canadian hockey fan...the greatest athlete ever to dominate their sport --> Wayne Gretzky.

Not only is he #1 on all the scoring charts, he's also #2, #3, #5, #8 and #9
eek.gif

First to 50 (in 39 games), only one to hit 200+ point seasons (he did it twice)...Bernie Nichols even scored over 150 points in one season due to Wayne. I know...Bernie Nichols...Wayne put him in company with himself, Mario Lemieux, Phil Esposito! Heck...he could even make me a 40 goal scorer.

He was simply the best I ever saw play the game. He had eyes behind his head and could make saucer passes like a magician. I had the pleasure of watching him several times in Maple Leaf Gardens (he grew up down the 401 in Brantford and played hockey as a kid in the MTJHL. He always put on a show in his home rink with his dad in the stands. My last game to see him was in the mid 1990s, I saw him and he had 4 assists and killed my beloved Leafs single handedly.

Now Sid is going to be a hall of famer, no doubt, but the Top 5 of all time...methinks NOPE. Right now that's: Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe, Rocket Richard. Interesting...I see a pattern to these five.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back