wax for woodies and other maintenance
Jul 10, 2008 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

atothex

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I'm getting a pair of woodies in the mail, and I'd like to know how best to take care of them. Do y'all use pure carnauba? Carnauba and beeswax mix? Where to I get them, and what's a good brand? How do I even apply it? So many questions...
confused.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 33
I used gerlitz carnauba wax as reccomended by Spinali on my ath-w5000's. The instructions and applicator are included with the product. But something additional you might want to do is apply multiple coats by letting the first coat dry completely, then buffing it, then waiting a day then apply another coat, and then buff it. Continue as many times as you see fit. Spinali reccomended 3 layers for me so thats what I did.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 33
Carnauba is also a natural wax, so re-wax sessions will be in order depending on how often you use your headphones.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 33
To keep the wood conditioned, and shiny....and....well, that's about the only reason I can think of, but hey, a few good layers of carnauba makes almost anything looks better.

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you need to wax headphones?

I can see the need to wax a floor or table, where it is always getting scuffed up and whatnot, but headphones? seriously why?

My headphones cost a lot more than my table.
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My headphones cost a lot more than my table.
wink.gif

Thats cool, Im in the same boat there. It dosnt have much to do with much though.

The real question to ask yourself is this:
Is the risk of a reduced resale value worth changing the headphones? Thats the key and my point.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 33
It never occurred to me that people would pay less for something that I take time, money, and effort to protect.

To answer your question: no, I don't care. I want to protect my stuff and keep it looking pretty.
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 33
How is adding a layer of wax to a clear coat protecting anything? If your doing it to make them shine like a diamond then I can understand but some screen clean and a chamois can do that and will work on everything else like your dashboard and computer and TV as well.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 33
..........of course, I sure some green/globalwarminghoaxster will post that its best to use ear wax on your headphones.
I, on the otherhand use a carnauba wax a couple times a year (as Larry [Headphile] also recommends). Just about any brand will do....a Bowling Alley wax, Goddards......etc.. Brand really doesn't matter much. You may be surprised how much nicer your wood looks after a good polishing.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 33
With the A.T.'s I'd want to be careful about preserving the printing on them.......so would only wax about once a year, and avoid going over the printed areas........treat them gingerly.
Look at the rag you've used afterwards. You'll be surprised at the grime you'll see there.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 33
Do they even need to be waxed?

I know you will say yes, because that is the theme of this thread, so I will put my next post right here.

The preservation of something old is a noble goal, but are you preserving it or changing it? This is a tricky question. at some point changing it does preserve it better, but at some point it is change for the sake of change. They built new stuff for the sake of change, no need to bother with the old.

IMHO with a rare and expensive headphone this is VERY similar to repainting an antique motorcycle. The bike is often worth more with 1/4 of the original paint flaking off, and the rest shortly behind VS a full brand new paint job.

to add another question:
If the woodies need to be waxed, what condition do you think that they are in when none of the previous owners of these 5 (or so) year old headphones has ever done it? what about 10 and almost 20 year old woodies?

and as a third:
are you more likely to remove the lettering from a headphone letting it sit on your head and treating it well, or while buffing the new coats of wax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back