Waveterminal U24 External USB Sound Card Review
Dec 8, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #46 of 56
I agree Graz, I am not really interested in listening to my analogue out either when I have my other components with me.

What surprises me is that people are so big on hooking up their amplifier to their poorer source as a first step or as bare minimum setup. I used to think this as well. Aftet getting this card, I would definitely start with the external card before messing with amplifiers, and if I had my laptop on a plane and didn't want to haul all of my mini components, I would definitely be happy hooking up my U24 and listening to my iBook, and not my SR-71. I guess this is a veiled plug for source first.

I think your thoughts on the comparison between the U24 and the Audiophile are right on. In fact, I bet they would be fairly comparable. I believe, to a certain extent, you get what you pay for, and that similarly price products will be in the same league. Of course, there are some exceptions, but since there seems to be no clear FOTM for external sound cards on the boards here, then the price reference is probably valid.

I will say that the one thing that the U24 may have over the Audiophile is its size and simplicity. It basically functions like a a Transit and is just a bit larger. There are no knobs or extras. But I am sure the Audiophile sounds good also, but I can't really comment on its quality since I haven't heard it.

cheers,
dshea

Dec 8, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #47 of 56
You ***tards
mad.gif

I was all ready to order a m-audio transit, almost did it last night, but then I was searching here for more information on the transit, and found this thread.

Now I have to decide it I want to sell out the extra money for this guy instead.

BTW, if I bought the transit, I was going to modify it, probably run it off of batteries, and change caps to rubycons and/or blackgates. Would do the same to the waveterminal.

Randy

Dec 9, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #48 of 56
hi guys
A friend of mine has asked if I could setup his guitar to run through his laptop so he can play it through NI Guitar Rig or do some basic recording through Cubase. I have a similar setup myself only I have it running through a desktop machine using a prodif plus card.

While scouting the local music stores to see what they had on offer for external usb cards, I was advised to get the Waveterminal U24.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with this kind of setup using this device? and more importantly do any of you know what kind of latency this card offers?

thanks in advance

Dec 22, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #49 of 56
I never got a reply from Edirol
frown.gif

Anyway, do any of you know if the U24 supports dolby/dts passthrough?

Dec 23, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #50 of 56
Has anyone compared the U24 and the Transit on a reclocking DAC? Reclocking DACs are said to be source-independent, but I have read otherwise. I have used only the Transit with my DAC, so I want to see what others may say here. I have a Muslical Fidelity TriVista 21, and it reclocks. I do like its sound, but if someone has found a better-sounding digital output for only about $200 then I'd like to look into it.

Jun 18, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssuh
I took at look at the manual for the U24 and I think I'm confused. Are there any RCA outs? The manual states it uses 1/4" outs. How do you connect this unit to lets say, a Corda HA-1?

Sorry, may I bump this thread for an answer to this question?

Also, the fact that it accepts a maximum of 48KHz is not seen as a weakness when I thought people using Foobar would have wanted to go with resampling to 24/96 at a comparable price to the M-Audio Audiophile USB. Am I missing something?

Jun 18, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #52 of 56
There are no RCA outs. You could get some 1/4" to RCA adapters. I have done this on occasion when I used the unit straight to an amp, instead of my external DAC.

Don't know the answer to your other question. I am using ripped CDs and a Mac so am not dealing with the resampling.

dshea

Jun 18, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #53 of 56
There are no RCA outs. You could get some 1/4" to RCA adapters. I have done this on occasion when I used the unit straight to an amp, instead of my external DAC.

Don't know the answer to your other question. I am using ripped CDs and a Mac so am not dealing with resampling.

dshea

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665

Don't know the answer to your other question. I am using ripped CDs and a Mac so am not dealing with resampling.

dshea

I had this question recently also. You can also use the L output 1/4" jack as a headphone out - aka a temporary fix with a Y cable. I just received the parts to make my own L and R 1/4" to RCA adapters today.
icon10.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #55 of 56
Guitar Center carries a 1/4" to RCA cable made by Hosa. Works well with the Waveterminal. Cost was about $9.

BW

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #56 of 56
I Purchased one of the original Ego-Sys U2A waveterminals Back in the 90's it was one of the first usb sound cards on the market.

I have also been very happy with it. it get used every day and is still in use now. In windows I found the drivers a bit of a pain to install.
But I mainly use it with linux and it works perfectly.
I use it mainly for play back but also recording Vinyl records. I like the fact that its nice and small and gives me analog, optical and coax inputs as well as outputs.

As you said the sound is warm but also detailed with quite a bit of depth. It sounds very analog which is unusual nowadays.
I find it a easy sound to listen to and not fatiguing at all. I have also used the digital output with a Hi end Dac which worked very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back