wavelength proton USB dac loud static and pops
Apr 19, 2010 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

athenaesword

500+ Head-Fier
anyone else has the wavelength problem and is experiencing the problem of sudden bursts of static and pops while navigating their computer?

i'm using a windows 7 desktop, but same thing happens when using a laptop.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 8
noone else has this problem? or are you guys all using with macs

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but I have no Wavelength Proton. Since it uses the OS drivers this may help to simplify the investigation. Are you using WASAPI?

i've tried the wavelength with both wasapi and kernel streaming. but the sharp static occurs even when i'm not using the player.

e.g sometimes when i open a folder, it happens. when i use backspace to navigate folder windows, it happens.

@leeparry, there appears to be a registry edit. may i know how that would help with the problem? i'll probably try it for the heck of it when i get home though. has anyone else tried it?

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 8
it's changing some ACPI undocumented setting and is said to fix crackles and pops over USB...even DELL advises to apply it, as it would help for both USB/Firewire.

May 7, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 8
hey i've finally tried the regedit, but it still gives me loud bursts of static occasionally when windows plays sounds. i get the feeling that this's some lag effect of the signal sent through the usb

any other possible fixes?
Quote:
it's changing some ACPI undocumented setting and is said to fix crackles and pops over USB...even DELL advises to apply it, as it would help for both USB/Firewire.

May 7, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 8
This is why I now stay away from USB DAC's in general.  USB protocol just is not designed with purist 2-channel audio in mind, and various companies apply dressings and band-aids to get around the inherent problems of USB, but it always seems to be a gamble because one USB DAC could work fine in one system but can cause huge headaches in another system/computer.  

You'd better contact Gordon at Wavelength and try to trouble-shoot..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back